• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Walt Disney World: Non-Theme Park Discussion

They really have backed themselves into a corner. I can actually see parallels with Merlin here.

They’ve been shifting strategy for a long time, but it feels like they’re now at a point whereby the City demands better results quarter on quarter, Disney have responded to that with a combination of reducing investment at Parks and also eaking out additional revenue on any way possible. At some point, something has to break. You cannot perpetually reduce quality and increase prices.

I think, just like Merlin were before the buy-out, they’ve driven themselves into a corner from where there is a difficult decision to make. Without growth coming from park additions and expansion, the only way to increase profit is to keep raising prices. If that leads to a reduction in demand that can’t be made up by those increased prices, they’re stuck. They then need to invest significantly, which will hit margins.

Either that or bring out a new popcorn bucket.

I was awoken at 4am to be told this news. Safe to say not a single tear was shed over Chapek’s departure 😂

It was being reported when the news broke early this morning that one of Iger’s first stipulations was that all cast and employees heard the news directly from him before anyone else was told. There was an email sent out to everyone from his email address telling them that how he was back and excited to be working with them again.

Dear Fellow Employees and Cast Members,

It is with an incredible sense of gratitude and humility -and, I must admit, a bit of amazement -that I write to you this evening with the news that I am returning to The Walt Disney Company as Chief Executive Officer.

When I look at the creative success of our teams across our Studios, Disney General Entertainment, ESPN and International, the rapid growth of our streaming services, the phenomenal reimagining and rebound of our Parks, the continued great work of ABC News, and so many other achievements across our businesses, I am in awe of your accomplishments and I am excited to embark with you on many new endeavors.

I know this company has asked so much of you during the past three years, and these times certainly remain quite challenging, but as you have heard me say before, I am an optimist, and if I learned one thing from my years at Disney, it is that even in the face of uncertainty -perhaps especially in the face of uncertainty – our employees and Cast Members achieve the impossible.

You will be hearing more from me and your leaders tomorrow and in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, allow me to express my deep gratitude for all that you do. Disney holds a special place in the hearts of people around the globe thanks to you, and your dedication to this company and its mission to bring joy to people through great storytelling is an inspiration to me every single day.

Bob Iger

Really shows the night and day contrast between the two Bobs and their approach.

It’ll be interesting to see who Iger starts lining up to succeed him in two years time.

At first I thought this was fairly earth shattering news, but in reality the drivers for this aren’t the rabid price increases at the parks or the implementation of Disney Genie, it’s simply that the share price has tanked. I think my post last week said that something had to break with the current strategy.

That said, I’m not sure the return of Iger is the godsend some are making out. Whilst I’m fairly certain he must be an improvement on Chapek, he also instituted or presided over many of the poor decisions implemented across the parks for so long.

I think it will be a mild improvement. Let’s just hope he chooses his successor more wisely the second time around.

I for one am excited to see what critical Disney discourse Poseidon Entertainment uploads next as a result of this news, the below being his last video essay that thoroughly discusses Bob Iger's impact on the company.

I was awoken at 4am to be told this news. Safe to say not a single tear was shed over Chapek’s departure 😂

It was being reported when the news broke early this morning that one of Iger’s first stipulations was that all cast and employees heard the news directly from him before anyone else was told. There was an email sent out to everyone from his email address telling them that how he was back and excited to be working with them again.

Really shows the night and day contrast between the two Bobs and their approach.

It’ll be interesting to see who Iger starts lining up to succeed him in two years time.
It doesn't appear that an email did go out to all cast members. Perhaps it was just to people with a company email address, rather than frontline cast members who only have a personal email address? Or perhaps it was supposed to go out to all cast members, but for some reason it didn't in the end?

Disney's problems are that shareholders expect constant growth and the studio side of the business isn't doing as well as a few years ago when Marvel and Pixar were guaranteed to bring box office hits. Also I think they have gone too all-in on Disney+ and forgotten about cinemas slightly. Then they try and make up for it by cost-cutting at the theme parks, which erodes trust in their core customers. Seaworld and Universal are actually slightly more expensive for food in the parks, but Disney seem to go about it in the wrong way which just puts people off spending more.

I don't pretend to follow the Disney company that closely, but I think it will be interesting to see how this transpires. It's curious that Chapek is seen as a failure at the top of the company, which is hard to argue with you when you look at the market - but we'll never know how the company may have faired during the pandemic under Iger. Furthermore, it's interesting that the perceived issues that the parks currently have are compared against a period where Chapek himself was running them.

I find it curious that Iger is made out to be an angel by a lot of parties, but he's as ruthless as they come, just with better PR. There's not a chance in hell that Iger wasn't at least involved in some sort of plot to remove Chapek and put himself forward for the top job. He wasn't sitting at home happily retired when the phone just happened to ring with a seven/eight figure deal - that's not how corporate America works.

He wasn't greatly admired by a lot of factions in the latter years of his premiership, but people have short memories. The issues that a lot of the super fans have with the parks will not go away overnight. The genie is already out of the bottle, as it were.

There certainly have been a lot of clickbaitey articles on the net with headlines like, ‘The worst CEO ever!!!!!’. It’s hard to feel much sympathy for someone who earned something like $32 million last year. Particularly when some of the frontline cast members are sleeping on the backseat of their car. I’m sure Bob Chapek will be just fine. But I also feel like the comparisons between the two Bobs are a bit exaggerated.

When Iger was in charge the frontline cast members took a real terms 20% pay cut while the pay of people at the top of the organisation increased substantially. Whilst Lightning Lane has understandably been unpopular, Fast Pass Plus began moving things in that direction.

Some of the decisions Chapek took have arguably been dealing with things Iger left him to deal with. For example, presumably the Disney Stores were left in an unsustainable situation. Hong Kong Disneyland has had some of their attendance canibalised by Shanghai, and is now struggling to attract enough visitors to make it viable.

A lot has been made of how long the Tron coaster is taking, but opening Ratatouille, Cosmic Rewind and the Tron coaster in one big rush wouldn’t have made sense.

Disney parks are very IP heavy now, but for the most part that does seem to be what people want. Harmonious doesn’t appear to have been so well received, so maybe there is some kind of cautionary tale there, but I don’t see any major change of tack.

Disney has been slow to move on from Covid. But Universal arguably has been so too, aside from Epic Universe, which is a different situation. Now Universal’s announced a replacement for the children’s area at Orlando, and seems to be moving forward with a new coaster for Hollywood, you could argue that the case for saying that Disney needs to start moving forward has got stronger.

I think one of the biggest things that caused Chapek issues was loosing the backing of the cast and employees. You didn’t have to chat to people for long before the anti-Chapek sentiment surfaced, something almost unheard of in a company as orchestrated as Disney.

As a business relies on creativity in all avenues of its operation. But as soon as you start to constrain that, you’re playing with fire. Disney has seen in the past what happens when you tried to reduce the influence and funding of WDI and the studios, like the pre-Eisner era. It’s a fine balancing act but one that Iger seemed to have down. There were certainly questionable decisions along the way, but there was still a commitment to try and deliver the best level for the brand and guests.

On the flip side, while it’s true that Chapek was handed a bit of a poisoned chalice taking on the company as the pandemic took hold, his actions didn’t always seek to stabilise that. It suddenly felt like the company was in panic stations. We saw blanket price increases, reduction of offering, budgets and investments all slashed. Did Disney need to move forward and change? Absolutely. It really is interesting to note that, like @jon81uk pointed out and experiencing it first hand the other month, Disney is actually cheaper on a number of fronts than Universal and SeaWorld/Busch. Food, drink, car parking, standard merch items, some of the added “experiences”. This couldn’t last for ever and rises were inevitable. But the way this was done really created friction and publicity that blew up rather spectacularly. There’s certainly better ways it could have been approached, such as staggering the rises. People aren’t daft and would have likely twigged what was going on, but it would have made it feel far less of a “pay more for less” than it has come across. This is the sort of thing Chapek’s tenure will be remembered for, for right or wrong.

On the pandemic note, it’s worth noting that Iger had reportedly offered to support with the transition to offer his experience in the wake of the pandemic, only to be aggressively rebuked by Chapek and told he didn’t need any help. The two supposedly didn’t speak again after that, even at Iger’s farewell party. It also tallies with accounts from others who worked with him in the past, saying how difficult he is to work with and how he has a habit of deposing anyone who challenges or threatens his authority. You can make of it what you want, but the sheer volume of these stories than surfaced from so many different areas does add some credibility and make it harder to ignore.

It’s also important to remember that Chapek didn’t just come in as CEO. He was previously the head of domestic parks and resorts, before moving up to oversee all parks when the domestic and overseas operations were bought under one leadership. So while there’s undoubtedly some elements that might be considered a hangover from the Iger era at least where parks and resorts are concerned, it’s also worth considering that Chapek was involved in some of these. You have to wonder how much more restraint there may have been if Chapek wasn’t in ultimate control. Genie+ didn’t happen overnight for instance. Yet it does feel like something that was suddenly rushed out to market soon after the change in leadership. How many of these “hangovers” were actually being sat on in preparation for the right time and messaging?

One thing that is swirling at the moment is the nature of this exit. Quite a few people have commented how unusual it is that:
  • The announcement came on a Sunday evening outside of usual business hours
  • He was removed mere months after the board had announced their confidence and renewed his contract for several more years
  • Disney is on the eve of a key trading period, with thanksgiving and Christmas affecting parks and products enormously, and their latest films about to be released
It does seem a bit unorthodox, and is leading some to question if something has happened or been said behind the scenes which has triggered a sudden termination. Personally, I get the feeling it’s more that the share price has continued to slump and the board won’t want to be seeing a potentially profitable period marred by low share prices. But it’s certainly unusual.

All good points. The one inescapable fact in all this is the rapid share price decline. Chapek’s decisions elsewhere have been baked in and known about by the board; his management style or decisions haven’t suddenly changed.

What did change suddenly (and also over the duration of Chapek’s term) was the share price. The same share price which directly affects the remuneration of the Disney board. The same Disney board which sacked him.

Reactions: Ian
The big issue at Disney is nothing to do with the theme parks. They are moving from a profitable cable company to an unprofitable streaming company. Customers watching cable tv and sport were declining but the money isn’t coming in on Disney+, it is losing money.

The big issue at Disney is nothing to do with the theme parks. They are moving from a profitable cable company to an unprofitable streaming company. Customers watching cable tv and sport were declining but the money isn’t coming in on Disney+, it is losing money.

I do not think that is the issue, Disney knew Disney+ would be unprofitable for a while they have made no secret of that. The platform is loosing so much money because Disney have chose to allow it to loose money. One of the platforms biggest costs from Disneys own mouth is the cost of producing new content. Close to 9 billion dollars had been budgeted to provide new content for Disney+ for the 2024 fiscal year alone.

That may have changed somewhat recently but that gives you an idea. Even reducing spending by a couple of billion would be enough to make Disney+ profitable. They choose not to do that.

So I don't think this is an issue at all..

I do not think that is the issue, Disney knew Disney+ would be unprofitable for a while they have made no secret of that. The platform is loosing so much money because Disney have chose to allow it to loose money. One of the platforms biggest costs from Disneys own mouth is the cost of producing new content. Close to 9 billion dollars had been budgeted to provide new content for Disney+ for the 2024 fiscal year alone.

That may have changed somewhat recently but that gives you an idea. Even reducing spending by a couple of billion would be enough to make Disney+ profitable. They choose not to do that.

So I don't think this is an issue at all..

But the theme parks are broadly profitable, the issue the CEO has to deal with is still the change from cable TV to streaming TV and also getting cinema revenues back up. The board & shareholders obviously don't think Chapek was up to the job even if the plan was going ahead as planned.

But the theme parks are broadly profitable, the issue the CEO has to deal with is still the change from cable TV to streaming TV and also getting cinema revenues back up. The board & shareholders obviously don't think Chapek was up to the job even if the plan was going ahead as planned.

To be honest, I doubt the performance of Disney+ has much to do with Chapek leaving. Not when Disney+ is performing within its projection forecasts made a few years ago - they knew Disney+ would still be loosing money now, they forcast it years ago. Projected to turn a profit late next year, like it always has been.

Then secondly, when Disney themselves are purposely making Disney+ operate at a loss due to the huge amounts of money they are putting into it. Something which I am pretty sure the board would have a say in. This is the cost of setting up a streaming service..they projected this when they set Disney+ up..so I highly doubt his departure has anything to do with something they predicated and planned would happen, before he was even CEO.

Chapek had quite a few missteps, some bad decision making and overall poor leadership in his 3 years. This has mounted up and solidified he is not upto the task, more so for the challenging economic times ahead.

To be honest, I doubt the performance of Disney+ has much to do with Chapek leaving. Not when Disney+ is performing within its projection forecasts made a few years ago - they knew Disney+ would still be loosing money now, they forcast it years ago. Projected to turn a profit late next year, like it always has been.

Then secondly, when Disney themselves are purposely making Disney+ operate at a loss due to the huge amounts of money they are putting into it. Something which I am pretty sure the board would have a say in. This is the cost of setting up a streaming service..they projected this when they set Disney+ up..so I highly doubt his departure has anything to do with something they predicated and planned would happen, before he was even CEO.

Chapek had quite a few missteps, some bad decision making and overall poor leadership in his 3 years. This has mounted up and solidified he is not upto the task, more so for the challenging economic times ahead.

But my point was more that it is the media side of Disney that has issues not the parks and resorts. I doubt a change in CEO is anything to do with the parks, or will bring about the changes anyone is hoping for in the parks.

They've made some bizarre decisions, like shunting 3 big budget Pixar film (Soul, Luca, Turning Red) all to streaming without even the upcharge things like Black Widow, Milan, or Raya got. Which no doubt cost them loads and seemingly made people decide Pixar films were something you expect to get as part of streaming. This then led to Lightyear (which was marketed badly) absolutely bombing compared to the previous Pixar films released prepandemic.

They've also massively shortened their cinematic release window so films that would usually play for months continuing to bring in box office profits now disappear after about 4 weeks before reappearing on Disney+. Compare the box offices of Disney owned IPs to Top Gun Maverick which seemed to stick around in the cinemas til the Autumn and doesn't hit paramount plus til late December.
The quick move to Disney+ streaming has also no doubt heavily effected the DVD market as whose gonna send £15 on a single DVD when you can get D+ for £7ish a month and get the entire library.

It doesn’t have to be just one or the other though, the decision can be based on the performance of both media and parks. On top of that I’m sure Chapek’s management style will have come into play - there are just too many stories floating around for that not to have been a factor.

I agree with a lot of what has been said above on the media front. Disney+ was known to be a loss making enterprise, just like most other streaming services. It’s a long term investment to position it well amongst its competition. There are clearly creative failures that have occurred in this time too.

I cannot agree that the parks are doing fine. Just look at Trip Advisor to see what people think of Hollywood Studios. Those reviews are not the sign of a theme park which will encourage repeat visitation and brand loyalty - two key pillars to the long term longevity of the Disney parks. In 15 years of following Disney parks closely, I have never seen the amount of poor reviews, anger and desertion of the brand that I’ve seen recently. I have no confidence that if the parks continued on their current downward trajectory, they would be remain as popular in a generation’s time.

When you have articles in the Wall Street Journal about your perpetual price rises and poor ride availability, it can’t go unnoticed by the Board. It’s clear the parks are not okay.

Last edited:
And so the changes begin…

The park pass reservation system has been the first update to happen at WDW. Previously, guests were required to make a reservation at one of the theme parks to gain entry, in addition to holding a valid ticket, even if you held a date-specific ticket for a park.

Starting 8th December, guests with specifically dated tickets will no longer be required to make a reservation. If a ticket is purchased, you’re automatically guaranteed admission without needing to book a park pass. Source

I’m glad to see that change coming through, as it was always complete madness that they could sell you a dated ticket but then refuse you entry to the park on that day. Surely the whole point of a dated ticket was to forecast. Requiring a park pass too merely doubled up on that and created more pointless work and disappointment for guests.

The second change that hasn’t appeared on WDW’s website yet but is also rumoured, targets park hopping. At present, guests are required to visit their reserved park first and must then wait until 2pm to hop to another park. There’s an expectation that this will be abolished for regular ticket holders and, while annual passes may still see some restrictions, the window for park hops opening may still be bought forward. Source

Outside the parks more news has began to trickle out, with the Wall Street Journal reporting that Iger was “alarmed by increases in prices at Disney theme parks”. This article sums it up without the WSJ paywall: