• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

West Midlands Safari Park: General Discussion

I have been twice, the first time in my landrover defender. It was great, the animals came right up to us. I think it was due to us being in a landrover.

Second time I was driving for work. and took a minibus around. I must say I love the meal ticket for minibus and coach drivers. coach park is basic but functional, and could do with bays two transit minibuses long. then this would allow schools with two buses to take only one space on busy days. like we did with the two LDV minibuses we were using.

The park could do with updating, and the facilities are basic, tidy and clean.

Just to let some of you WMSP fans know, or to those who are interested, my fan/community group (Safari Sundown) were exclusively told by the park (We have good connections with the park) that reps were in a few weeks back, looking at the potential sites for BIG attractions. Staff have also told my group that a signature attraction is on it's way, and they seem sure something big is on it's way to the park. Now, for WMSP, the word 'big' for there attractions is something along the lines of a New coaster by Vekoma maybe, or a thrilling flat ride for the older market.

I can't really understand the parks budget. I mean they have 1 permanent roller coaster/ride? which of course is Vekoma but apart from that the rest are all traveling rides.

If the park are looking at getting a Vekoma potentially a Junior Boomerang? I know Drayton have only recently got one but just look at how popular its been for the park?

Perhaps the park are also looking at getting a IP? Madagascar would suit it PERFECT!

Chessington already have that IP, so they probably won't allow West Midlands Safari Park to use it.

I wouldnt have thought so take Shrek for example its at Universals and Alton were ment to be getting a themed area. I know it diddnt happen BUT still 2 parks had the same IP.

Shrek is actually owned by Dreamworks not Universal and it's different continents not at two parks in the same country.

Re: West Midlands Safari Park: General Discussion

Nobody would describe a Vekoma Junior Boomerang as a "signature attraction".

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

If they didn't have the maintenance issues a Maurer spinner would probably be a good replacement for Twister providing they got a custom model. Otherwise I still think a Eurofighter is the best they will get any time soon, which would not be a bad thing necessarily.

I don't know West Midlands Safari Park at all, but if they could afford it a compact but custom Eurofighter could be really good, there are some pretty decent looking compact ones at various different parks. Would certainly be better than anything from Vekoma.

:)

They already have a spinning coaster, so why replace it with another? And why add a Junior Boomerang when they have a RollerSkater?

Eurofighter is a possibility, but I don't think they'll spend that much.

I agree with all your comments, a Eurofighter would be perfect, but it all comes down to how much they have to spend. Each year (JUST FROM Admission & Wristbands based on the average visitor numbers each year) they get £50 million. Of course, you need to add on food, shopping, drinks etc... Which comes to around £2m-£4m depending. You of course need to take off staff wages, animal foods & animal welfare, ride maintenance & main park keep.

So after all of that, we come down to round £25m. I have no idea how much of that is spent on rides. The reason why the park only get travelling rides is they don't need planning for them. They of course need planning for bigger rides.

Like I said, and like the staff have said, there sure something big is on it's way very soon. 2014 perhaps? Maybe 15?

Re: West Midlands Safari Park: General Discussion

I think your maths is way off. If WMSP made £25m profit a year, they'd be by far the most profitable park in the country. They could build something on the scale off SW7 every year and still make a huge profit. If they were able to do that, they would have.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

The park see 1.7-2 million guests each year. Take the cost of admission: £14.99 (Summer) and Wristbands (£10.99) round it (15 & 11) times by 2 million for both, add them both together: 30,000,000 + 22,000,000= 52,000,000 Million. MOST of that is staff wages, park maintenance and making sure it looks fine, ride maintenance, animal keep & food, new fencing for the animals, food & drink, shop stock etc.. So with all that, your down to AROUND 15-20 million.

kydog1299 said:
The park see 1.7-2 million guests each year. Take the cost of admission: £14.99 (Summer) and Wristbands (£10.99) round it (15 & 11) times by 2 million for both, add them both together: 30,000,000 + 22,000,000= 52,000,000 Million. MOST of that is staff wages, park maintenance and making sure it looks fine, ride maintenance, animal keep & food, new fencing for the animals, food & drink, shop stock etc.. So with all that, your down to AROUND 15-20 million.

Haha OK, you stick with your fantasy maths. ::)

Firstly, you're entirely discounting any deals or offers or group prices or child tickets (I presume not all under 18s pay an adult price). You're also forgetting all the people out of those 2 million who pay for admission but don't buy a wristband, which I imagine is a huge amount. Surely way under half of visitors to WMSP actually buy a wristband?

Adding to that, you're way underestimating the proportion of a park's revenue that is spent on overheads. I reckon you're looking at a profit of around 1 or £2m a year, if that.

I went this year, and received a free return voucher thingy (or whatever it is) which I gladly used - surely this would be counted in the 2 million visits, however they earnt nothing from me the 2nd visit?

Should be cautious and go for half, or just under half, at paying price. I believe towers average entry fee is something like £14, taking into account all the free entries and annual pass holders they have entering the park so your maths is ever so slightly wrong there i'm afraid.

Surely if they received 2 million guests a year they would be in the Europe top parks in the annual report or does it not count because it is primarily a Safari?

And I have never queued more than 10 minutes for anything in the amusement area so like Sam said, I doubt that many people actually visit the place. I think possibly the reason for them building the new African village down behind it was to make people walk through. On an unrelated note, the theming there is very well executed and looks good.

It'd definitely be interesting to know how much money they have to play around with for a major new attraction. It'd also be great to know the height limit for their rides.

:)