• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What accent do you speak with?

I speak with a South London accent. I can usually tell if a person is from another part of the city by their accent. I know it's like this for many cities around the world, but is it common in other English cities too?

I’ve lived all over the UK so have quite a mixed accent. Dad was originally from Essex, mum from Lancashire so I’ve had a mix of accents & sayings as I grew up. Been in Bristol since 2001 though so that’s really taking over, although to Bristolians I still sound northern.
Wrt citites having different accents - Bristol definitely does. Those from Clifton and Redland (the posh bits) do not sound anything like those from Hartcliffe or Knowle. They also wouldn’t dream of using the local slang. Me babber.

I don’t think I’ve really got much of an accent, being from the East Midlands it’s pretty standard accent really. Some people down south will say I’m Northern, but definitely don’t have a strong northern accent or anything.