• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What car do you drive?

Being a petrol head I've spent silly silly amounts on the few cars I have had over the years. . .

My fabia vRS started the major modifying trend. . .
14633714298_5375a33791_b.jpg

Had various interiors/wheels/suspension setups over my 11 years ownership. .it became my daily while I built my mazda 3mps.

14940177_1236915936380875_3051432520548397585_o.jpg

Now currently own an Octavia vRS. . .also been played with while trying to retain "dad car" status . . All be it a pretty fast dad car - 310bhp 👌👌

20230515_181923.jpg
Your MPS there, wow

I've got a very sensible C4 Cactus, it was the biggest car my wife was happy driving, I still don't think it's really big enough. Its actually a decent drive, but the wet belt as cost me because it'd a stupid idea.

Before that we had a MG TF, which was obviously great fun to drive, and I only span it once. Not at all practical with a kid though, so it went when she came along.

Being a petrol head I've spent silly silly amounts on the few cars I have had over the years. . .

My fabia vRS started the major modifying trend. . .
14633714298_5375a33791_b.jpg

Had various interiors/wheels/suspension setups over my 11 years ownership. .it became my daily while I built my mazda 3mps.

14940177_1236915936380875_3051432520548397585_o.jpg

Now currently own an Octavia vRS. . .also been played with while trying to retain "dad car" status . . All be it a pretty fast dad car - 310bhp 👌👌

20230515_181923.jpg
Never mind the horse power, that looks like a dad car.
Must say my day at the towers in an MX5 today was a little er cramped.
Better headroom with the roof down, but it rained on the way home.

Never mind the horse power, that looks like a dad car.
Must say my day at the towers in an MX5 today was a little er cramped.
Better headroom with the roof down, but it rained on the way home.
A busman's holiday?. . .

From cutting grass to cutting hair in express parking? 😉😉

Great first car! Is this a 1 litre? My first car was a Citroen C1 and was extremely cheap to run which helped in bringing my insurance costs down over time too.

I went through the stint after selling it of riding motorbikes and was using a Suzuki GSXR 600 as a daily for a little bit which I miss a lot. That thing was fast!
I'm now driving a 2016 Vauxhall Corsa. It's nothing special but has everything I need in terms of tech and comfort, and is quite good on fuel and running costs.

I've considered getting another motorbike at some point, but am also tempted to look at an Audi S/RS if finances ever allow me to.

The daily is, at present, a 2015 Skoda Octavia Laurin and Klement (2.0l diesel DSG). It’s a pretty decent runner overall; relatively good on fuel and maintenance isn’t horrendous on it, although as with many cars with stop-start it does have a bit of a habit of chewing through batteries. I’ve done a couple of small changes to it, like fitting the 2018MY radio and amp to get Apple CarPlay functional.

I had access to a Tesla Model 3 Long Range (affectionately dubbed by @Poisson as “the Uber”) for a while, but it’s gone back to the lessor due to lack of use. It was… fine, but I wouldn’t get another one, partly as they make some very weird decisions with the UI and unfulfilled promises with the software, and partly as it had a habit of phantom braking when you have Autopilot on (slamming the brakes on for no discernible reason at high speed).

I am looking at replacing the Skoda soon, with the current top runners being a BMW 330e, a Mk7.5 Golf R, or a BMW 335d.

I had access to a Tesla Model 3 Long Range (affectionately dubbed by @Poisson as “the Uber”) for a while

It was a white Tesla, the most Uber of all vehicles.

I have a 2003 Rover 25, as seen enroute to Bellewaerde/Plopsa

1713555478143.png

And a 1965 Morris Minor

IMG_20180903_134225.jpg

Plus access to another that's my dad's

SDC10477.JPG

Also have access to 4 Fiats. Used to have a Rover 100 until that was written off

1713555876510.png

I'm one model up from your Picanto @MattN, with a Kia Rio (diesel) from 2010, I bought it new and it's (touch wood) not really had a breakdown yet. Just ticked over to 100k miles last week.

Big enough for my needs, powerful enough and responsive enough for some good driving (especially when the turbo kicks in), and comfortable enough for long drives, don't plan on replacing it any time soon. It's quite a deceptive car as anyone else who drives it (e.g. the guy I got to fix up some of the paint work, and the mechanic when I told him to take it down the motorway to check something) expects it to be slow, then they put their foot down and find out it's actually quite nippy.

IMG_0284.jpeg

1000056736.jpg
Currently driving a Megane E-Tech, first car I've had that I've absolutely loved. Previously had a series of cheap cars followed by cars bought exclusively for the pushchair space in the boot.

It's fast, really nice inside (and powered by Google which for me is a plus) and it's just really nice to drive, don't mind getting stuck in traffic anymore 😅

Dacia Sandero 2015, 1.5l Diesel. Had it from new, it was the cheapest new car on the market at the time, albeit the slightly more expensive 'mid tier' version, with features like central locking and electric front windows. No air con tho, which is horrible about 5 days a year - but to be honest I know if I had it I'd have it on all the time unnecessarily burning fuel.

Just ticked over 100k miles. Most of them from the first couple of years when I used to commute from Sheffield to Staffordshire several times a week.

I've tried to keep it 'official renault parts' until recently when they wanted £325 for a blower/ventilation motor. I'll keep her going with parts from scrapped cars now.

I'm pretty much goal hanging for a diesel scrappage scheme at some point.

Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD in blue.

Had a Model 3 prior to this, and will probably get another one when this lease ends. Costs pennies to charge at home (if that, thanks Octopus Agile) and on a long run I've never had a single issue with charging. 250 miles is easy, yes it's not the 600 mile range of some diesel etc engines but really after 2 hours my bladder is ready for a stop anyway so while I'm doing that it might as well be plugged in.

Prior to this I've had a BMW estate, Ford Focuses, every model of Mondeo and a dinky little Peugeot 106 with a non-turbo diesel engine and 4 gears. My white whale however was the citrine yellow Mondeo, never managed to get one so had to just settle with burgundy instead.

To put a slight spin on this thread -

How much was your car insurance last time you bought it and how much did it go up (or down) compared to last renewal?

Mine this year with Aviva fully comp was £289. It went up about £50 compared to last renewal.

How much was your car insurance last time you bought it and how much did it go up (or down) compared to last renewal?

Mine this year with Aviva fully comp was £289. It went up about £50 compared to last renewal.
The quote for insurance on my recent car purchase, from Admiral, was around £370 annually, as I only have a provisional license at the moment and haven’t yet passed a test.

My dad was looking at quotes for when I pass, however… and they go up to nearly £1,000. Unfortunately, I tick every single high-risk demographic in the book for insurers… a single, young, childless male who’s also a full-time university student does not make for cheap insurance prices! Even with both my parents on there as named drivers, no quote for once I pass was below about £900.

My first year of not being a named driver on someone else’s policy and it’s currently £1450.