• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What changes to operations should we expect post Covid-19?

You have to imagine that Merlin have been given some kind of further steer from the government on possible re-opening, because "step three" in their coronavirus action plan is incredibly woolly:

I've said this before and I'll repeat it - what qualifies as a "crowded" venue, and would it be sufficient to mitigate that at a park like Thorpe with its small footprint with reduced maximum attendance?
If a cinema is a crowded venue, then I don’t see how a theme park is any less safe, especially considering that theme parks are outdoors, where transmission has been proven to be lower and spreading people out is far easier.

If a cinema is a crowded venue, then I don’t see how a theme park is any less safe, especially considering that theme parks are outdoors, where transmission has been proven to be lower and spreading people out is far easier.
Is it clear if ride forces have impact on transmission? That could play a role if they get to reopen or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So could be by about August to reopen by the time they get the go ahead. I could be wrong in thinking this but maybe just maybe they said about hotel bookings that they hope to be open by July. Could they possibly open up the accommodation before the park.

So could be by about August to reopen by the time they get the go ahead. I could be wrong in thinking this but maybe just maybe they said about hotel bookings that they hope to be open by July. Could they possibly open up the accommodation before the park.
It’s possible; Shanghai Disneyland opened their hotels and shopping district on 9th March, while the theme park didn’t open until 11th May. However, I think that Towers will likely aim for everything to be open at the same time if government guidance allows.

"Come and stay in the Thorpe Shark - there's nothing to do except swelter in your tiny little cabin unless you fancy a 40 minute walk to Chertsey town centre. Although there may be nothing open there either."
There are buses! (Not just the 950/951)

I just wouldn’t be surprised if they get told you can open the hotels but not the parks yet so they just go ahead with the bookings.

If staff are on-site, though, they could also be doing other preparations too, such as cleaning and checking things over for safety.
From Monks Walk a few weeks ago. Seems there are some staff about painting the Inferno exit ramp...

IMG-20200407-150654623-HDR.jpg

How exactly will security handle bag checks? Will it be like island security first thing where they just pretend to check your bags but don't even touch it?

At Aquatica in Orlando, I remember security using a pole to search bags. Or they could have digital machines, like what they have in airport security.

I’m intrigued to see how they do height checks without close contact. Although having said that, there has been a Measure app on new Apple devices for a couple of years now, so I’m sure they could find some sort of technological alternative if need be.

At Aquatica in Orlando, I remember security using a pole to search bags. Or they could have digital machines, like what they have in airport security.
That'll be fun for someone with previous bad encounters of park security, I wonder who that is...

It might be worth noting that I just watched TPW’s video on when UK parks might reopen, and he said that he has seen rides testing now when he has cycled past the park, so I think some preparations may be occurring now.
They won't be opening until government advice mentions they can. There's no use speculating otherwise. In Merlin's case it'll be the moment they're not told they can't, I'm sure. :p