• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What do Merlin get out of The Sun free ticket offer?

Had mine emailed to me on Wednesday, for the 19th July day after I break up from work for summer. I also booked splash landings for the night using the Sun 50% off voucher £55 for the night. Can't wait :)

My grandmother has a subscription for just about every newspaper in the country, so she gets the Sun every day and I can retrieve the tokens without having to subject myself to the torture of buying Sun papers. We've had free tickets from the Sun year before last, and this year. The given dates turned out to be adequate, and it's always nice to be able to attend AT without paying for admission.

We always agree, however, that if weather report is rubbish for the allocated day we simply wouldn't go, even though entry is free. But as I said, nominated day has been okay the two times I've used Sun free tickets.

In terms of what Merlin get out of it, they get merchandise, food, drink, parking sales. Where I used to work, they gave every one a free annual pass the first time they paid full price. The idea was that the business made more than enough money from the money their spent on each return visit, that and various charity tax cut deals.

Don't believe the forecasts Jared, they are rarely fully correct.
The queues are shorter, and the rides run quicker in the rain!

Hah! I have no doubt! Just don't fancy standing around in the rain all that much. I was at Thorpe Park this time last year and we left early because it was wet and cold, plus it was late afternoon and we'd done all that we wanted.

I'll add, it was extremely busy too and we were very wet from standing around waiting in queues! We weren't impressed with Thorpe Park overall anyway, think it's over rated somewhat. It's quite a distance from where I am and we had to make it a weekend trip just to make it viable - wouldn't do it again. Alton Towers is much better, and about 40 minutes from me.