• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What tier of theme park is Alton Towers?

What tier of theme park is Alton Towers?

• Local park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Low-end regional park

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Mid-end regional park

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • High-end regional park

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • Worldwide park

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Down the pan

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters
It’s like Stoke- has been stable and enjoyed goods time now in the verge of relegation due to a lack of budget and poor decisions.

Only a change of management can save it now - and I think the same is going to be said of the AT we knew

I hate the word "regional" as it could mean so many different things in different countries.

I would tier it as:

World leading
World class
National high end
National low end
Local
Leisure park

AT was once World class
AT was then National High end
AT is mainly National low with high end attributes.
AT operates as a Local

I've gone mid-tier regional. In the dim distant past it would have been "worldwide". I even remember folks from Disney visiting once to have a look around. But, slowly, its been sliding down the scale. With the opening hours as they are it doesn't make much sense for anyone living outside of the region to travel to the park - especially for whats on offer for the price.

Let's be honest for all that's wrong with Merlin and the park right now....purely on coaster line up alone it's a high end park. People' anger towards the management clouds judgement a tad.

3 B&M's, a few decent intamins, New GCI woody, a world record holding Gerst etc..... If you visited any park on mainland Europe with that coaster line up you'd be doing cartwheels.

I love Nemmy, Blivy and Galactica (minus the horrid VR) so much that the park is still number 1 for me.

The park is still number 1. Management are being smart cause hardly anyone visits the valley till 11 any way. Granted with wicker man it’s the next closest than smiler. So it may see a different path of traffic this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Management are being smart cause hardly anyone visits the valley till 11 any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree, during my visit last year to the park, Nemesis soon built up a queue before 11am due to it was only running on the one train, and as soon as one of the rollercoasters went down, the nearest rollercoaster queue was horrendous as every one piled into that queue line from the broken down one..

However having the latest new Wickerman ride in the ERT line up is a great move.

They tried 11am staggered opening times a few years ago before the Smiler incident, and it just didn't work, it just drove all the crowds around the park in one direction and it was horrendous. That was short lived

High-end regional park.

Pros—
• Among some of the best and most varied coaster lineups in the world (despite strict planning conditions).
• The sheer beauty of the Gardens and Towers, heritage plays a significant role.
• Very well known across many countries, has a refined brand identity.
• Park is usually very clean, rides always well maintained (less so can be said of the effects and theming).
• A varied selection of onsite hotels — something for everyone.

Cons—
• Theming and effects not always maintained properly.
• Food on park is diabolical, and rediculous in price — often not good value for money.
• Lacks a decent flat ride lineup.
• Serious lack of live entertainment outside of CBeebies Land or the hotels.
• Merchanide on the more pricey side, some often of a lower quality too.
• Location has bad transport links.

To sum it up, Alton Towers is a park with a great amount of potential, it's a park that is stunningly beautiful and has a stellar coaster line up. I believe it is the way that it is being operated currently that drags the park down — rubbish food, expensive merchandise, little live entertainment, are all things that can be fixed with investment. Turning Alton Towers into a worldwide park could be done, the main resort infrastructure is there, they now just need to utilise it to its true potential. :)