• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What was the first mobile phone you owned?

Motorola A1086 (or something like that), it had an aerial you pulled out and a removable battery pack. The BEST phone I ever owned was an Ericsson T28! It had a flip out bit when you pushed a button on the side! I purchased one from eBay last year, but the ‘member berries didn’t last long and I quickly returned to the iPhone 13…

I remember having this hand-me-down Motorola brick for a while when I was very young. Can’t remember where it ended up though.

The first new phone I had was a Sagem MyX5-2 (the -2 meant it had a camera 😱), that mostly got used for sending and receiving stuff from people in the playground at school over infrared.

Wow mine goes back to 1993 when I had one of these beauties NEC P100.

Couldn’t text on it. Don’t think it was available. Next phone I had in 1994 was a Pioneer one which would receive a text but not send any. Only 1 line display. Flip phone though.

Other phones I’ve had after that - quite a few, I liked to change nearly every year. Quite fascinating looking back moving from analogue phones with the big aerials to the flip phones, to texting, multimedia messages, interchangeable coloured covers, colour screens, stereo speakers and absolute to play music, WAP browsers, touchscreen, HD screens, it’s amazing looking back how far these things have come. Quite scary in some regards!

I’ve owned:

Nokia 6110, 5110, 3210 (changeable covers), 7110, 3310, 6210, 5300, N95 (great phone), 5800 (first touchscreen). Nokia were great phones, batteries lasted a week, you could swop the batteries and you could drop them from a tall building and they still worked.

Motorola Razr, Pebl

HTC desire, One (great phone), One (M8), One (M9)

Samsung Samsung SPH-A460 flip, S6, S7, S9 (Bixby finished me with Samsung and Android and pushed me towards iPhone)

iPhone 12, 13 Pro (current)

S9 (Bixby finished me with Samsung and Android and pushed me towards iPhone)
Funny that, my poor experience with the S9+ is what pushed me over to Apple as well. Got an iPhone 11 and then kicked myself why I didn’t switch earlier.

I didn’t switch to apple until they changed the shape from the 12 onwards. I liked the shape of the iPhone 5 but not the rounded shape of the ones after. When they changed the shape and once Bixby had did my head in then I made the switch.

Don’t regret it

I had a iPhone 4s. Loved it, stylish. Easy to use. Had it for about 4 years.

Then an update happened and something changed in me so I switched to android. (Sony at first now a pixel) I don't which version it was. All the icons changed to a new design. All of a sudden, it didn't look as classy. You tube was no longer the old Tele icon. They made them look cheap. So I switched to a cheaper brand.

In terms of mobile phone progression, I had the Nokia 3220 from October 2005 until a similar time in 2007, when I got a Sony Ericsson W580i. Had a number of problems with this one, namely the keys cracking, two of them not working, it didn't recognise the memory card, it sometimes switched itself off, and was slow to open texts. Sent it away three times to be fixed, but they didn't sort everything. They eventually sent me a brand-new phone, but that one was dodgy as well, in that it just completely froze! I was offered an upgrade to the W910i, but I declined, as the reviews online were poor. I eventually got a new W580i that worked, but I cut my losses by getting a Samsung Tocco Lite in October 2009. Really liked that phone. Then, in May 2012, I got an HTC Wildfire S, which was my first foray into the smartphone market. BIG mistake. It wouldn't let any apps be installed to the memory card, and I had to clear the cache just to be able to use anything. Cut my losses in December 2013 by purchasing an iPhone 5s, and I've been an iPhone user ever since. Got an iPhone 6s in May 2016, an iPhone 8 in February 2020, and an iPhone 13 in April 2023.

Ahhh the w580!. You are not alone with this.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I can't quite decide what was more annoying - the fact they didn't fix the issues after sending it back three times, or the fact the replacement they sent out didn't work properly either!

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I can't quite decide what was more annoying - the fact they didn't fix the issues after sending it back three times, or the fact the replacement they sent out didn't work properly either!

Just Sony's way. All their phones were a piece of art design wise. Pity none of them were durable.

Although solid phones, I never owned a Nokia until the mid 2000's simply because almost everyone I knew had one and I hate following trends. So I bought this brand new around about the time I left school when mobiles started taking off. It was on One2One, the thick antenna could be unscrewed for some reason. I had a thick leather case for it that you hook to your belt. Used to charge it about twice a week.

Screenshot_20230726_145131.jpg

But the phone I remember most fondly was a Sony I had. It had a Blue back lit screen, was thin in the middle, polyphonic ringtones (before almost any phone had them) and a Jog Dial on the side which made it incredibly easy to use. I also had a successor to that phone where the antenna was removed. We used to have loads of debates about missing antennas, as it blew our minds as to how they could possibly build it into the headset? Like magic!

Screenshot_20230726_150223.jpg

Novelty at first, but I miss the days of no one ever having any phones. So much more peaceful times.

Although solid phones, I never owned a Nokia until the mid 2000's simply because almost everyone I knew had one and I hate following trends. So I bought this brand new around about the time I left school when mobiles started taking off. It was on One2One, the thick antenna could be unscrewed for some reason. I had a thick leather case for it that you hook to your belt. Used to charge it about twice a week.

Screenshot_20230726_145131.jpg
I think this was the first mobile we had as a family...

In terms of phone progression; my first smartphone was a hand-me-down Lenovo from a relative that I received in early 2017 and used for about 6 months. It ran on Android, and I honestly struggled to use it.

After that, I inherited a third-hand iPhone 5 with a broken home button from my sister, which I used for about a year before receiving a second-hand iPhone 6 from my dad. I used this for about 3 years before buying myself a brand new 2nd generation iPhone SE, which I have now happily used for 2 years.

My only reason for upgrading to my current phone in the first place was that my iPhone 6 was too old to run TrainLine, an app I needed for university. It was also randomly shutting down every 20% (of its battery life), come to think of it… I had days at theme parks and such in 2021 where that phone’s battery was incredibly erratic and ran out like a sieve, even if I charged it fully overnight and didn’t excessively use it during the day…

I’m not sure I could change from Apple, though. I’m sensing that my current phone will last me a good few more years yet given how infrequently I generally use it (at home, I pretty much primarily use my iPad rather than my phone, and I often forget to take it places with me… I mainly take it to university and to theme parks to take pictures), but I like iOS a lot more than I like Android and get on with iOS a lot better, from my experiences. I’ve been using iOS devices happily for over 10 years, and I honestly don’t really see the point in changing mobile operating system at this point. Even if I do baulk slightly at the prices of some modern Apple products…

I used to have hand-me-downs until only about 8 years ago. My first “new” phone was a Motorola Moto E, then moved on to the Samsung Galaxy J5 which served me pretty well. Eventually I realised I had enough money with my student loan to upgrade, so got a Galaxy S8, then moved on to the S20 during lockdown which I loved. Last year, after spending far too much time with the terrible influences who are Joel and Craig, I decided to move to iPhone. Got the iPhone 14 Pro Max and never looked back!