• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

What’s your preferred loose article storage solution when visiting theme parks?

How do you like to store your loose articles?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Loose articles and storing them is arguably one of the greater inconveniences of visiting theme parks, however there are many solutions out there to storing your loose articles securely while you’re walking round the park and on the rides. Three of the most popular solutions seem to be cargo trousers, bum bags and backpacks, but I’m sure there are other solutions out there as well. So my question to you today is; when visiting a theme park, what is your preferred way of storing your loose articles? If you could use anything to store the likes of your phone, your wallet/purse, your keys etc while you’re at a theme park, what would you use?

Personally, while I know they’re divisive, I’ll admit I’ve really taken to wearing cargo trousers to theme parks. I have both a pair of cargo trousers and a pair of cargo shorts, so I can pick dependant on the weather, and both are brilliantly practical! The cargo trousers in particular have so many zip pockets and buttoned pockets, so I’ve certainly got no shortage of secure pocketing options, and the cargo trousers mean I can use things like my phone in the queues to take pictures or time throughputs, and then simply slip it back into the zip pocket before getting onto the ride. I know my approach may have to change if I visit somewhere like the USA, whose parks tend to have notoriously strict loose article policies, but for here in the UK at least, cargo trousers work great for me, and are certainly my preferred storage solution!

But what’s your preferred way to store your loose articles when you’re at the parks?

Last edited:
I mentioned in the original thread that I often wear cargo trousers or cargo shorts, as the extra pockets are so useful. A jacket or coat with zip-up pockets is also useful, or one that has pockets in the inside and zips up tightly - very useful at Fireworks. I’ll usually have a rucksack with me anyway, which can help, especially if others want to go on rides but don’t have anything to store their valuables in.

I mentioned in the original thread that I often wear cargo trousers or cargo shorts, as the extra pockets are so useful. A jacket or coat with zip-up pockets is also useful, or one that has pockets in the inside and zips up tightly - very useful at Fireworks. I’ll usually have a rucksack with me anyway, which can help, especially if others want to go on rides but don’t have anything to store their valuables in.
I’ll agree with this; I always find a raincoat surprisingly useful if it’s ever raining at a park, as they too have zip pockets!

Before smart phones I would leave my phone in the car, so I just had some cash, cards and the car key to worry about at AT and at Disney a film camera too (but no car key)! So would usually try to use zip pockets most of the time, but also Disney doesn't have as many inverting rides so less of an issue.
Now with my phone also being my main camera I like to take it into the park, but as I mainly only go to AT at fireworks weekend I have a big coat on anyway so phone can be zipped into a coat pocket. Might have a couple of £1 coins for the arcade (love the 2p pushers) but use Apple Pay most places now so no need to carry as many cards or cash anymore. If staying at ATH then car key goes in a case left with the porters so even less to carry.

If going another time of year I will try to wear zip pocket joggers/shorts if going to a park with inversions, but jeans probably okay otherwise.

My valuables always go in zipped pockets in either tracksuit bottoms, shorts and/or jacket depending on the weather.

Depending on the park I sometimes take a drawstring bag with me but this is only for things like bottles of water and suncream. I'll happily leave this in the station bins.

I usually take a rucksack with me as I have my lunch box and water bottle, which are quite large (got to keep well fed and hydrated, without spending much!). I'll either give it to a non-rider if not everyone's coming on or use the baggage rack/hold if everyone's coming on.

I tend to use a backpack most of the time which I'll either leave with a non rider, place in the storage bins or the lockers. I don't tend to carry much anyway, phone, wallet and water bottle is about it.

Zip pockets, on either shorts or light jacket.
Not a vote option!

Baggy shorts with zip leg pockets.

Zip pockets in shorts and/or jacket all day long. It never fails to amaze me when idiots think it's ok to go on amusement park rides with valuable stuff that is not securely stowed away. Cue dispatch delays as empty coaster car floors are scoured for dropped wallets, phones, keys, etc. That's if they are lucky and their stuff hasn't flown out mid-ride and knocked someone below to the floor.

I like a jacket with 4 zip pockets in. Wallet, phone, keys & (at the moment) sanitiser all get a pocket each!

My pet hate is shorts that have zip pockets but in stupid places. Yes, it's my fault for not checking first, but the last 2 pairs of lightweight shorts I got from M&S had the zip pockets ON YOUR ARSE, one on each cheek. The height of stupidity! The designer was clearly having a laugh, but how the hell did these get approved & manufactured?! What clothes designer in their right minds thinks "Let's make shorts that encourage the wearer to put hundreds of pounds worth of phone, their wallet, car keys, etc in zip pockets right behind their arse, so when they sit down, the whole lot gets crushed." ?!

Yet on the front/side pocket on each leg they put a button close pocket on each side! Why not just make all 4 pockets zip ones? In all seriousness, if anyone can recommend any particular coaster shorts with good zip pockets that aren't under your arse when you sit down, please post what they are! Last few summers I've used M&S, but the zip pocket locations are so stupid that I'll have to look around next time. They weren't cheap, and are comfy and light, but fade easily in the sun and are not worth the money especially with those stupid pockets. They will go to Amusement Park Room 101 (along with Infusion) as soon as I find an alternative

Last edited:
Hi guys. Loose articles and storing them is arguably one of the greater inconveniences of visiting theme parks, however there are many solutions out there to storing your loose articles securely while you’re walking round the park and on the rides. Three of the most popular solutions seem to be cargo trousers, bum bags and backpacks, but I’m sure there are other solutions out there as well. So my question to you today is; when visiting a theme park, what is your preferred way of storing your loose articles? If you could use anything to store the likes of your phone, your wallet/purse, your keys etc while you’re at a theme park, what would you use?

Personally, while I know they’re divisive, I’ll admit I’ve really taken to wearing cargo trousers to theme parks. I have both a pair of cargo trousers and a pair of cargo shorts, so I can pick dependant on the weather, and both are brilliantly practical! The cargo trousers in particular have so many zip pockets and buttoned pockets, so I’ve certainly got no shortage of secure pocketing options, and the cargo trousers mean I can use things like my phone in the queues to take pictures or time throughputs, and then simply slip it back into the zip pocket before getting onto the ride. I know my approach may have to change if I visit somewhere like the USA, whose parks tend to have notoriously strict loose article policies, but for here in the UK at least, cargo trousers work great for me, and are certainly my preferred storage solution!

But what’s your preferred way to store your loose articles when you’re at the parks?
Definitely dislike the approach steeplechase at Bpb took, they told me I had to take my tablet on with me (it's on a neck strap).
Personally for that (where quick access is key) I tend to prefer either manned bag holds or cages (ala smiler) rather then boxes (ala collosus) where it's risking damage