• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which of Alton's coasters has the worst name?

In your opinion, which of Alton's coasters has the worst name?

• Sonic Spinball

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Runaway Mine Train

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • The Smiler

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Th13teen

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Rita

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Air

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Oblivion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nemesis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
RITA. As I understand it stands for something backwards!!!!!!! It seems that they where struggling for a name for this that hasn't been used before. Its better then stealth anyway.

THIRTEEN. Nice title this. It shows mystery that the ride was. It gives you enough to guess at the story line of it, and what to expect. (Although the expectation will always be more.

THE SMILER. I cant make my mind up. Not experiencing it yet. I don't know for sure if the name fits. But at the min it doesn't feel right.

SONIC SPINBALL. This names ok for those of us who had a Mega Drive. It was about 10 years behind its time, and its just awful name for a ride.

RUNAWAY MINE TRAIN. Always puzzled me this. But then again what else would you call it to fit in with the theming.

NEMESIS. Sinister, disturbing and just the right name for this ride, everything about the name just fits in.

AIR. Same as above (although as also with above could do with some TLC)

OBLIVION. Does exactly was it says on the tin.

So the worst. Sonic spinball. I never liked rides that have changed there names for advertising (Pepsi max big one I am aware that what it was from the start, Iron Bru Revolution. Playstation the ride Ice blast and that's the same ride) It looks awful, sounds awful and should be better themed. Thank god Cadbury's hero's and the whole Fanta Oblivion fiasco didn't change them that much.

Why don't people like the name 'Runaway Mine Train'? It's perfect for the ride (what suits a ride themed to a runaway train better than something along those lines? :p ) and not as unoriginal as people seem to think...

There have only ever been up to 9 coaster with the exact name, 'Runaway Mine Train', and two of those have since been renamed and one is now defunct, making the total 6.

When Alton Towers first opened the Runaway Mine Train in 1992, there were only two other roller coasters with that name, one of which is located at Six Flags Great Adventure and the other being the wooden wild mouse that operated at Frontierland Family Theme Park in Morecambe (the aforementioned defunct coaster).

I've no problem with people disliking it but I'd love to know why (don't worry, I'm not going to have a go at anyone for having a differing opinion like some seem to enjoy doing). :p

What would have made a better name for it too?

Rita and The Smiler are both awful but Thirteen takes the cake. Even ignoring the horrible 13 instead of ir aspect, they've named a ride after a number! That should never be acceptable. When you add the name to the vague, sparse theming, complete lack of story line and the tame ride experience, the whole ride just comes across as a bit strange. Not strange in a dark and mysterious way but in a way that makes you think "What exactly were Alton going for here?"

Alton probably think that choosing names like these makes them quirky and unique but it just makes them sound ridiculous. Names like Nemesis and Oblivion stick in your head because they're brilliant names, not because they make you go "What?" when you first hear them.

They probably do it because it's an immediate talking point for the GP. Thing is, once the hype quickly dies down they're left with a stupid name for their ride. :p

Thirteen, clearly. At least Rita was relevant to a poorly idealised theme. Thirteen has no relation to the theme, and is also meaningless when taken purely as a ride name

Rita is not only the worst named coaster on park, its quite possibly the worst named coaster on earth!

I understand people thinking "at least it matched the drag racing theme" but the way I see it is that the drag racing theme was built around the name, not the other way round. I don't know where RITA came from as a code name (Alton Towers Intamin Rocket backwards has been thrown around), but I seriously think someone just thought "It's codenamed Rita, It's fast and launches... like a drag racer, people name cars after women... let's just keep the name Rita and tag the term 'Queen of Speed' on the end to make it a drag racer in a prehistoric village". Fucking. Genius.

Rita as far as female names go doesn't really sound particularly sexy, as many have already said, it very much evokes an image of more "mature" ladies, and by "mature" I mean of an age in which they require a Zimmer frame in order to move.

That really gives off an air of speed and thrills, doesn't it ;)

Many of us have made points about how well a ride's name fits in with its theming but I think it's irrelevant. A name should stand up by itself. Most people visiting the park will have heard a ride's name but may not know anything about its theme.

Case in point, countless times this year I have had a conversation like this with non-enthusiast friends:

"Is there a new ride at Alton Towers this year?"
"Yes, it's called The Smiler"
"The Smiler? That's a strange name."
"Well you see, the reason it's called that is because it's themed around this Orwellian institute that...blah blah blah"

Any name that requires an explanation for it to make sense is a bad one. It's not a matter of getting accustomed to it or it making sense in the context of the theme. When people hear the name, they'll accept it at face value. The success of a ride name really comes down to how good it sounds in a sentence and what kind of imagery is associated with it.

BigAl said:
They probably do it because it's an immediate talking point for the GP. Thing is, once the hype quickly dies down they're left with a stupid name for their ride. :p

I suspect it's exactly this, it's an example of Merlin's "any publicity is good publicity" ethos but with long term drawbacks.

I know the purpose of this thread is to debate the worst name on park. Sometimes I realise though I am not an "enthusiast", I am "enthusiastic" about thrilling coasters, Theme Parks, their workings, their technology etc.

I personally don't really find any of the names on park that bad at all! Rita: Queen of Speed is so outrageously bad/strange I find it rather charming and very unique. The Smiler is right, some of the other names that got thrown about were so cliche and unoriginal they made me cringe, and would have been getting my vote in this poll!

Personally, other than opinions in here, I haven't heard a single person complain about the name, or the theme (which I did at first but now very much love), the uniforms (HOW AWFUL - oh, actually in person? Rather brilliant!).

What it boils down to I guess, is that I don't have an opinion on this opinion poll as I think overall they do pretty damn well, so why am I even in here? I don't know. So many other threads, I'm defending The Smiler again, oh **** MOJ got me!

YOU BELONG TO THE SMILER :twirly:

HAHAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA

TheMan said:
I know the purpose of this thread is to debate the worst name on park. Sometimes I realise though I am not an "enthusiast", I am "enthusiastic" about thrilling coasters, Theme Parks, their workings, their technology etc.

I personally don't really find any of the names on park that bad at all! Rita: Queen of Speed is so outrageously bad/strange I find it rather charming and very unique. The Smiler is right, some of the other names that got thrown about were so cliche and unoriginal they made me cringe, and would have been getting my vote in this poll!

Personally, other than opinions in here, I haven't heard a single person complain about the name, or the theme (which I did at first but now very much love), the uniforms (HOW AWFUL - oh, actually in person? Rather brilliant!).

What it boils down to I guess, is that I don't have an opinion on this opinion poll as I think overall they do pretty damn well, so why am I even in here? I don't know. So many other threads, I'm defending The Smiler again, oh **** MOJ got me!

YOU BELONG TO THE SMILER :twirly:

HAHAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA

This. I love The Smiler's name, theme, themeing etc., just love it! It really does make me Smile!

If I had to choose one, I'd probably say that Sonic Spinball has the worst name. That's probably because I've never been into Sonic and don't like the ride though TBH. Don't really get Rita either. Other than those, I like all the names.

I think RITA will, of course, 'win' this ballot, but for me it was close between RITA and Th13teen; ABSOLUTELY DETEST using numbers in words. Even being a Man United fan, (sorry :-[ ) I cringe when I see 'Champ19ns' or now, even worse 'Champ20ns.' The Smiler sign is no better, even though I LOVE The Smiler. Not to mention Th13teen has no relevance to the theme WHATSOEVER other that it being an unlucky number. At least RITA has a vague relevance.

BigAl said:
Why don't people like the name 'Runaway Mine Train'? It's perfect for the ride (what suits a ride themed to a runaway train better than something along those lines? :p ) and not as unoriginal as people seem to think...

There have only ever been up to 9 coaster with the exact name, 'Runaway Mine Train', and two of those have since been renamed and one is now defunct, making the total 6.

When Alton Towers first opened the Runaway Mine Train in 1992, there were only two other roller coasters with that name, one of which is located at Six Flags Great Adventure and the other being the wooden wild mouse that operated at Frontierland Family Theme Park in Morecambe (the aforementioned defunct coaster).

I've no problem with people disliking it but I'd love to know why (don't worry, I'm not going to have a go at anyone for having a differing opinion like some seem to enjoy doing). :p

What would have made a better name for it too?

There are now 14 listed on rcdb, and i am aware of at least 1 more.

Whereas there will only ever be one Rita, or The Smiler.

I just think it's nice that if i say my favourite ride is *name* ... you know which park i'm taking about even if i don't say.

I appreciate that it was a lot more original back when the name was decided on, but now i feel that every other park has one, and i prefer Altons more unique names. So out of all the coasters on the park, that is the one i dislike most.