• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Which year

Hew878787

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
if you could go back and visit AT any year in the past which year would you pick?

I hadn’t visited until 2000, but would love to have gone in 97. Nemesis was still only a couple of years old, Ripsaw would’ve been brand new and I’d have loved to see the build up to SW4 with the guard around the construction pit. Looked like an exciting time from what I’ve watched, heard from people.

For me it would be 1987 the year of my first visit.

Back to basics, you had the Black Hole in total darkness, The Log Flume had it dinosaurs, Sealions, Big top show, the park was clean and tidy, the gardens were kept beautifully. No up selling, just a nice relaxing day out as it should be.

Air is shiny and new,
Hex is only a couple of years old (new enough to look good but old enough for the updated storyline,
Ugland, Toyland Tours and The Haunted House are yet to be ruined
Blackhole, Dynamo, Boneshaker and Ripsaw still operating
Flume advertising mess hasn't happened
Ice show still running (not peter rabbit but can not win them all)

Tough one!

After (probably too much) thought I would go with 2000. Hex nice and new, X-Sector still sleek and considered modern with Oblivion blowing peoples minds (what, it’s a VERTICAL drop?!), UG Land still fresh with a fun bright theme, Toyland Tours wasn’t clapped out yet, Peter Rabbit on Ice - pure Towers magic, you could eat a Big Mac sat at a car themed table (what’s not to love?), original Rapids boats with extra random hose pipes around the ride, Energiser, Ripsaw, Dino Dancer, UG Swinger, Log Flume, Black Hole, Corkscrew.

Ah, the good old days!

Probably around the 1840s somewhere and have a look around the house and gardens, if I was allowed to. I'd tell them all about how Merlin are looking after their gaff nowadays.
Brilliant plan, turn up at an 1840s upperclass residence ranting about how Merlin (the wizard?) has ruined their home by surrounding it with mechanical machines in the future where you claim to be from. You'll get a wonderful hands on experience at a Victorian mental asylum for free!

Brilliant plan, turn up at an 1840s upperclass residence ranting about how Merlin (the wizard?) has ruined their home by surrounding it with mechanical machines in the future where you claim to be from. You'll get a wonderful hands on experience at a Victorian mental asylum for free!

Or burnt and sacrificed to appease the gods! Someone should totally make a ride based on that concept.

A bit more serious, I heartily agree with all your suggestions. Just to add that Old Mcdonalds farm was sill a thing. (although we will conveniently forget about Soakasaurus and Miniture Heroes :p)

Probably around the 1840s somewhere and have a look around the house and gardens, if I was allowed to. I'd tell them all about how Merlin are looking after their gaff nowadays.

Just don't harm the beggar, otherwise we wouldn't have Hex. Saying that she could of cursed you to your local tree and you would be in a spot of bother.

Definitely back to a year when the Gardens were in their prime. No ridiculous fencing to ruin the picturesque landscape. No budget cuts to the gardening team to ensure they are well kept. I can't begin to imagine how pleasant it would have been to spend an entire day just relaxing in them without worrying about the rest of the grounds being ran by a piss poor and soulless organisation.

Strangely I'd also like to go back to 2013. The atmosphere that year despite the frustrations with The Smiler at the beginning was something else.

Mostly for the corkscrew, thunderlooper and black hole, as I never got the chance to ride those. (Okay I did for corkscrew and blackhole but I was too scared of rollercoasters then)

It would be interesting to see the park before any of the themed areas I know now were built. I think it's the end of an era, with Katanga canyon and nemesis on the horizon soon to redefine the park in a short space of time.

1994/1995 - having shady memories of a couple of mid to late 80's visits, my fondest memories I'd love to revisit are from the short period of time Nemesis and Thunderlooper existed together. A combo which has never been beaten at Towers for my money.

Love to get that first visit feeling again
Running about being excited about everything
Instead of now walking about monaning about everything and telling all that will listen
“It was better in my day!”
#old

Tough one!

After (probably too much) thought I would go with 2000. Hex nice and new, X-Sector still sleek and considered modern with Oblivion blowing peoples minds (what, it’s a VERTICAL drop?!), UG Land still fresh with a fun bright theme, Toyland Tours wasn’t clapped out yet, Peter Rabbit on Ice - pure Towers magic, you could eat a Big Mac sat at a car themed table (what’s not to love?), original Rapids boats with extra random hose pipes around the ride, Energiser, Ripsaw, Dino Dancer, UG Swinger, Log Flume, Black Hole, Corkscrew.

Ah, the good old days!

I do miss the old Ug lane days. Especially in the summer with the fountains. As an adult now I’d happily get soaked with the lack of water rides

Probably around 2002.

The last of the 3 B&Ms was built. They had a very good lineup across the board and the park was still operating like a well oiled machine. Soaking up, dealing with and putting good amounts of guests through the attractions.

Probably around 2002.

The last of the 3 B&Ms was built. They had a very good lineup across the board and the park was still operating like a well oiled machine. Soaking up, dealing with and putting good amounts of guests through the attractions.

I would take 2002 plus wicker man and thirteen (in different positions though, if that makes sense ?)loved the black hold and as much as I like smiler wouldn’t be fussed if it went.

I think if people from the past were told that "Merlin would appear in the future and bring Alton Towers to its knees" they'd have some conception of Merlin being some greedy self motivated mystical old pagan bent on ruining trade, forcing the earl to flee and cursing all leisurely days out. Accurate in the modern sense.

Unusual answer, but possibly 1992. I'm pretty sure Doom and Sons was still open during that year (given the rest Talbot Street and all the attractions/fountain show etc along the street were to exist until the end of said season). Haunted House opened that year and a lot of the earlier illusions were working (if intermittently). That would of been a very cool lineup of attractions.

Last edited:
I think we should start our own anti-Merlin company and start buying up parks. Taking inspiration from the above post mentioning druids (OK, "pagans"), I propose we call ourselves Getafix.