Who would you like to win the Conservative leadership contest?

Discussion in 'Corner Coffee' started by Matt N, 18th Jun 2019.

?

Who would you like to win the Conservative leadership contest?

1. Boris Johnson

30.0%
  2. Jeremy Hunt

5.0%
  3. Michael Gove

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sajid Jhavid

5.0%
  5. Dominic Raab

10.0%
  6. Rory Stewart

50.0%
  1. Chessy Shop

Chessy Shop TowersStreet Member

What we really need is a time machine, so we can go back and stop that bloody referendum from ever happening.

delta79 and Matt N like this.
  2. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    So our next Prime Minister is going to be either Johnson or Hunt.

That's like deciding if you'd rather stand barefoot on an upturned plug or a piece of Lego.

MaxPower, Rick, RoyJess and 5 others like this.
  3. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    We're royally screwed. A general election would be delightful, but both their egos won't permit them to even consider it.

Matt N likes this.
  4. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Where is doc brown or marty Mcfly when you need them.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Matt N and Chessy Shop like this.
  5. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

:eek:
    Yea let’s thro Corbin in the mix. That’ll make things better. And a bit of Farage too :tearsofjoy:

MaxPower, DiogoJ42 and Matt N like this.
  6. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Libdems may have a chance too... Anything that will delay/cancel Brexit would be good

Matt N likes this.
  7. DistortAMG

DistortAMG TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (DLP)
    I don't want any of the contestants to be the next PM, however, one of them is going to be come hell or high water.

So, considering the mix of walking jokes, I would have to say that out the mix I would go for Boris Johnson.

The bloke is a tool, he puts my bag of black and decker equipment to shame.

But, given the current state of things, he's the best equipped to shake things up massively. He's got a backbone and he will say things how they are. He's like the UK trump. We need someone with a spine even if they are good or bad, he is the only one out of the currently selection of cured meat that we have.

UK politics is currently a laughing stock after the Brexit rubbish, but its far better to have a joke that actually has a backbone, than a full blown through bread joke.

OilyWater and Matt N like this.
  8. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    The real question here is - does anyone in the country actually like any politician? Who'd want to be a politician at the end of the day. Anything you do you are despised and ridiculed. Nobody is good enough.

I can only think of Obama of any of the major UK or US leaders of the last 20 years that has actually come out of his tenure with any form of enduring respect.

9. Lurker

Lurker TowersStreet Member

I think people are attracted to be PM for all the wrong reasons, and the system supports that.

Reform should be goal #1 after Brexit is cleared up. Parliament is non efficient, our voting practices are not efficient or just, the house of lords needs a new name and a PR manager. MPs in general need to be held accountable, and major deviation from manifesto should trigger re-election. Rules should be drawn up to refine referenda to avoid future constitutional crises

Matt N likes this.
  10. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

Yes, I feel like Brexit was one step of many in the road to reform, only it was such a big one and caused so much disagreement that the current government were the least prepared of any to deliver it.

I wonder if a reform over the house or lords would cause as much disagreement or less. I also wonder, now that the case has been proven, if a referendum over first-past-the-post would get much higher turnout than when it was first pitched.

Both those things are always going to be made extremely difficult by people in power because it's essentially reducing their job security.

Also, an EU referendum was going to happen at some point, the question has been debated for decades. As a younger person I was really surprised to see just how far back it goes. The case to leave has often been made by people left and right, not just a 'Nigel Farage project' as the current media tried to make out

Matt N likes this.
  11. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    We won't get another vote on scrapping FPTP for PR again in our lifetimes. We had our chance and blew it.

Sam, Matt N and OilyWater like this.
  12. Lurker

Lurker TowersStreet Member

The fact that exiting the European Union has been discussed for years and there was no practical plan, no understanding of what it really involved shows clearly the failure of the debate and the system.

It's just not possible to exit the EU. Not in a way to respects the good Friday agreement and union of the United Kingdom. It's not possible to protect the economic interests of the country while leaving the lucrative bloc. It's not possible to reap financial rewards from leaving at all, let alone anything close to what was promised.

Years on, the question remains, what is Brexit? Everyone will give you a different answer.

The referendum was a constitutional disaster that was Ill thought through and did not serve its purpose.

Seems rather fitting for Johnson to decide how the axe swings.

My opinion - remain. And my second choice - no deal. Might as well give it a go.

Robert.W and speedy like this.
  13. Alsty

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Boris Johnson is full of bluster. Perhaps the best thing about him becoming PM is suddenly he'll have nowhere to hide and all of his lies and rhetoric will be laid wide open for everyone to see. It's easy to say "we should be doing X" or "we should say Y" when somebody else is responsible for it - now he'll have to actually do it (along with taking responsibility for the consequences) or admit he was talking from his backside (and thus damage his credibility).

At least watching him go down with the Conservative ship will be of some small amusement.

Matt N likes this.
  14. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    [​IMG]

MaxPower, Matt N and Alsty like this.
  15. DistortAMG

DistortAMG TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (DLP)
    This current run up for new PM with the top candidates, feels exactly like it would if I needed a babysitter, but I couldn't decide if it was best to call Kate Mccann or Jimmy Saville to get the babysitting duties done.

Surex they'll have a crack. But they will both fail for very different reasons.

Last edited: 22nd Jun 2019
    MaxPower, delta79, Jonathan and 3 others like this.
  16. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

So he fits in at Westminster then.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Matt N likes this.
  17. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    So a photo appears on the web to show that Borris is all loved up with his partner and everything is apparently OK after the weekend bust up....

....but yet when looking at the photo, Borris has suddenly grown his hair overnight, can we trust someone that tries to pull his hair over our eyes to run our country? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

MaxPower, Matt N and Alsty like this.
  18. Alsty

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Reminds me of the old joke...

How can you tell when a politician is lying? Their lips are moving.

Sauron97, MaxPower, AstroDan and 4 others like this.