• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Why did Alton Towers use a stock soundtrack for Oblivion?

They were constructing the world's first vertical drop coaster
This is very pedantic, but they weren't. It only drops 87 degrees, as you probably know, because the trains did not have spring-loaded wheels so they couldn't drop 90 degrees. I agree with the rest of your post.

Money is the only reason.

It's not even a good example of drum and bass.

The only reason fans like it is because it's there and not been changed for over 20 years.
In my humble opinion, and being around at the time, it is, and was, a very good, and popular, example of drum and bass.
The reason fans like it is because it is, and was, a good bit of a banging tune.
Every opinion is sacred.

it is, and was, a very good, and popular, example of drum and bass.
The reason fans like it is because it is, and was, a good bit of a banging tune.
Im not sure how it couldve been popular, unless "CD Library Music Volume 249" was a hit record in 1998

If people like it fine. I used to, cos I just listened to park soundtracks all the time.

It sounds like your dad's wannabe cool BBQ patio playlist playing around the drop zone currently (why did it start being played there??)

I'm aware Oblivions soundtrack is technically a stock track but I've got no problem with it because it fits the ride perfectly. I've always said its one of the best ride soundtracks., even if it wasn't specially made for it, that doesn't mean it doesn't work nearly perfectly. I'm a big fan of it, and I really do think there would be no need to ever make a special oblivion soundtrack.

Im not sure how it couldve been popular, unless "CD Library Music Volume 249" was a hit record in 1998

If people like it fine. I used to, cos I just listened to park soundtracks all the time.

It sounds like your dad's wannabe cool BBQ patio playlist playing around the drop zone currently (why did it start being played there??)

It was a commercial release on a cd album called "Strictly Drum 'N' Bass". Released for the mainstream music market rather than for a stock libary CD. Although it may have made it to one of those later on, it was not originally produced for that purpose.

Being the experimental side of dnb however, I question how popular it was. Jungle dnb was the big thing around then. Not the experimental flavour so to speak. That would have worked well for Tussands though, in being able to obtain the rights for a very good price.

But that said. Even though a bit short, the track fits the ride perfectly. If was (for the time) modern and edgy, exactly what Oblivion set out to be.

Maybe they ran out of money so needed to find something than commission a piece. That tunnel cost an awful lot, I suspect costs were cut where possible.

Last edited:
How much money is it typically to commission a piece?

There would not be a definitive piece, a huge number of variables would influence the price.

Things such as the popularity of the producer, the size and type of music they want, how much potential income the music could make are a few factors that I would imagine would determine the price.

If I go to a prolific Hollywood music producer, or if I want a full orchestra in the piece. The price is going to be much more than if I go to some local unknown producer who is making tracks via Cubase and Reason on his computer in his home. Which there is nothing wrong with at all. Just using it as an example to give you an idea.

It was a commercial release on a cd album called "Strictly Drum 'N' Bass". Released for the mainstream music market rather than for a stock libary CD.
Its literally on Universal Music Library, and the original album artwork has "Chappel recorded music library" written on it.

Anyone could use the track in any random advert, broadcast etc. It also sounds bland and doesn't fit Alton Towers in the slightest.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the Oblivion music is it was only meant to be played in the station, and it was played loud. You only heard it for a couple of minutes during the dispatch. Now they pipe it out around the ride area which was never how it was intended to be experienced.

I'm sure I heard the music loud all the way round the queue from the start...small punchy speakers in the bushes on the way up?
Disco loud in the station, yes, but I thought it was still played all the way up the queueline.

I didn't even think it was that long ago that the Oblivion queue line had just the weird noises and the music was only confined to the station? I want to say they only started playing the music in the queue line post 2015 time?

I always assumed the music was made just for Towers. You do learn something new every day!

Oblivion's theme does feel more dated compared to other rides. If it does ever have a refurbishment, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw a big change in the theme.