• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Why the sudden influx of dinosaur events?

MattyH

TS Member
Favourite Ride
GIIBBB
I've noticed a lot of places have suddenly announced dinosaur events, in the most random places. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me? What's causing the sudden increase?

Give us some examples? They held a Jurassic World Dominion experience in London which has now ended, dammit.

How many would you like? Here's 10 examples from February half term and Easter events.

https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/theme-park/events/february-half-term

Wasn't Barney at his peak 20 years ago? Would not make marketing sense to take him on at that time.

I think it’s because places see dinosaur events as a good bet as a lot of young kids like dinosaurs. Whilst it might be seen as a gender neutral theme (compared to say Disney princesses or Marvel superheroes) dinosaurs seem to particularly appeal to 4 to 8 year old boys for example yet can have some appeal to all kids.

Dinosaurs have been a popular theme at theme parks and amusement parks for some years, there’s many a ride out there on both the permanent and travelling scene with a rip off Jurassic Park style logo and a bunch of dinosaurs plastered all over it. When the dinosaur theme is done really well, such as Lost Kingdom at Paulton’s, it can make for a great themed environment. With regards as to why so many dinosaur themed events are popping up I think it’s something that’s been building momentum in recent years fuelled by both the success of the Jurassic World movie in 2015 (and all the franchise’s associated merchandising) and also the prevalence of animatronic walking dinosaur costume suits that have become very popular in the past few years.

Dinosaurs are cool!

There's always some media about them as well that continues to spur younger generations.

Barney, Denver The Last Dinosaur, The Land Before Time, Dinosaurs, the Jurassic Park series, Walking With Dinosaurs, Ice Age series, Jurassic World, and currently there seems to be shows on the BBC and Channel 5 about them as well.

egg GIF

Like pirates and spacemen, dinosaurs are a little kid topic...and have been since I was a kid.
Inflatable dino suits have dropped in price considerably in recent years...cheap easy filler...so lots of dino events on the cheap.