• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wii U

Will you be getting a Wii U?

• Yes, at launch

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Yes, but not at launch

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
Next month sees Rayman Legends, Scribblenaughts Unlimited and Lego City Undercover all being released as exclusives...

icon_datass.gif

Finally got a chance to play it yesterday. I played New Super Mario Bros U and I thought that the graphics looked very nice and bright, although New Super Mario Bros U isn't a very good game to show off the graphics, but I could tell there was a upgrade between the Wii and Wii U. I think the controller is nice, it grips into my hands quite nicely, although I didn't get the chance to use the touch screen.

Still planning to buy one. I hope to get the remake of Zelda Wind Waker and whatever Sonic game is coming out this year.

=)

Aside from being able to play the game exclusively on the gamepad's screen, the one feature NSMBU really shows off well is it's Miiverse features. Being able to post messages about levels, then seeing other people's whilst playing (whether it be when the game is loading, on the world map or even when you die) really shows off the Wii U's great online community. Other than that, the game serves as nothing more than to have an entertaining Mario title launch with the Wii U - it won't be until the new Mario title (hopefully released later this year, if Nintendo has any sense) that we'll see something truly innovative.

Benzin said:
Next month sees Scribblenauts Unlimited and Lego City Undercover being released as exclusives...

icon_datass.gif

Fixed that for you, so we "finally" got SU and the reviews are making me ponder. I still have hope for Lego City despite Traveller's Tales' track record. But my Rayman Legends hype has basically descended now but I'm glad Ubisoft is already trying to redeem themselves with bonus levels exclusive to Wii U being revealed up to the game and releasing Watch Dogs for the Wii U!

But the PS4 can put up a fight so I dearly hope that once Nintendo get their next batch of first-party titles out, they can really do a marketing push or the Wii U will soon be outtrumped and toasted. It's worrying times, but games such as Mario U and Mario Kart can be marketed to the casual audience so I just have to sit here and pray to Iwata. Iwata pls.

Let's be honest here. The Wii U is not as popular as Nintendo thought it would be and it is expected that the PS4 and Xbox will destroy it.

What position will this then leave Nintendo in? Their 3DS may have been quite popular, but they can't really go anywhere from there, and they would need to really change their consoles if they want to fully compete with Sony and Microsoft.

Sadly, I can't see Nintendo being around 15 years from now...

Longy said:
Let's be honest here. The Wii U is not as popular as Nintendo thought it would be and it is expected that the PS4 and Xbox will destroy it.

What position will this then leave Nintendo in? Their 3DS may have been quite popular, but they can't really go anywhere from there, and they would need to really change their consoles if they want to fully compete with Sony and Microsoft.

Sadly, I can't see Nintendo being around 15 years from now...

I have to agree despite supporting them since I was a lad, they made the Dreamcast mistake and now Sony has trumped them with more superior hardware, Nintendo will have to rely on casual gamers and killer apps from their first party franchises.

I wouldn't like to predict the future, but even myself doesn't see Nintendo going down the SEGA route in making games for other systems. The Wii U needs a price cut and fast. Yes they may be already making a loss but it's software sales that are obviously money-spinners with so many titles coming.

I still think the 3DS will trump the Vita, and the PS4 can help Sony get out of it's decline, but if the Kinect 2.0 is somehow better than the original and it actually works, then we might see Microsoft come out on top for once. It will also be interesting to see how well the Shield, Ouya and Steambox will fare this generation. I wonder...

I think the whole thought of Nintendo going out of existence is ridiculous, they're such a iconic company not only amongst gamers, but as well as the general public. there are certain reasons why some of the past consoles have failed to triumph over their competitors.

For example; The N64 failed because of the cost of producing games on there. The console used cartridges where as it's competitors PS1 and Saturn both used discs which was cheaper to produce games on. This meant that PS1 games would cost around £30 on release where as a game on N64 could cost up to £50 (sometimes more even!)

I think the gamecube wasn't successful for two reasons, the first being that the PS2 was MUCH more popular and most people already had one by the time the Gamecube was released. The second is that it wasn't very revolutionary compared to Nintendo's past consoles, to me it was just the basic console, and there wasn't really unique about it when comparing it to the PS2 and the Xbox.

The Wii U will be more popular once some games worth buying will come up. There's currently plans for a Zelda wind waker remake, a brand new Zelda game, a new Mario game produce by the same studios as the Galaxy games, Pikmin 3, a New Smash Bros, and a new Yoshi game. I'll be buying one this year! =)

My only worry is this time due to the rise of mobile gaming, the casual gamers have been sucked in to Android and iOS devices. How many casual gamers bought a Wii in it's early years and still play it now? Exactly.

The name is deceiving and needs a huge marketing campaign when the killer apps arrive to prove that it isn't just an "add-on to the Wii" which as we all know isn't. The pricing is too high since your buying a (almost) last-gen console with reduced frame rates, poor loading times and again, lack of third party support. The core market was the wrong market to go for considering all the core market own a PS360 and are going to buy a PS4720, if they waited a little longer for some technology to improve, then they might of stood a chance.

The Wii U Chat for example has no instant messaging and the lies of being able to talk mid-game are horrendous, if someone is calling you, you have to wait a minute for the app to load anyway (even with good internet I have heard). It is unacceptable for even a last-gen attempt.

The online store needs a game that everyone knows, not just exclusives, where is Minecraft? Where is Angry Birds? I am not a big fan of them but they are needed to get people onto the store. Nintendo Land needs to be advertised way more to be rammed down casual gamers throats that have played Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain Training, etc. And also, 1 Virtual Console game a month is a disgrace, it surely doesn't take that long to port a 20 year old game to a GamePad? IN 60HZ might I add. If they are trying to get older Nintendo fans back, then why not put the games they love on the console right now so they can spread the word!

There are so many problems that could of been ironed out in the years of development it has been under, Nintendo can survive from the Nintendo Elites if the software is really good, but I fear we will get high cost DLC packs and e-Shop games to accommodate for poor sales.

The market has changed since N64, that made a mistake with discs, GCN made a mistake with the kiddy market and no DVD's. The Wii did it right despite it being so weak, and if Nintendo can shove a huge global marketing campaign highlighting OH LOOKIE HERE IT'S A NEW CASUAL AND HARDCORE SYSTEM, then they can prevent further losses beyond 2052.

Now I'm off to play the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo. Hooray for rehashed ports! Long live Wii U!

Nintendo literally cocked up the marketing of the Wii U... Made it unclear what it was to the public and no real top end game to go with it (Twilight Princess for the Wii helped with the non-casuals, word of mouth sorted the rest)...

But they did that with the 3DS, so they can still 'save' it... They really need some heavy hitters releasing around the PS4 dates though, like Zelda, like Mario, like Smash Bros. If all of them came out in the later holidays, that could see a LOT of sales... Regardless of competition... Combine them with a price cut (£200-250?) and bam, sales...

Gamecube was underrated, and had some of the best games of the generation on it...

The system looks good, but the marketing terrible, a lot of people aren't too sure whether it is a new console, you'd expect a new console to have a much better campaign to get people talking

Also people would be reluctant to buy a new console until at least more details are released about ps4 and Xbox.

Nintendo won't go out of business, as we aren't the only country's that matter in the world. Asia follows Nintendo like wild fire. Even if they die put in the western world (highly unlikely) they will still be alive and kicking in the east.