• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

World's tallest slingshot and drop tower coming to Orlando's ICON Park in 2021!

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Ground has just been broken on the construction site of the two newest ICON Park attractions! They are a slingshot suspended from two 300 foot towers that will fling riders 450 feet in the air, and a 430 foot drop tower that will have seats that tilt 30 degrees. Both attractions are expected to open in December 2021.

icon-towers.jpg

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202101/7990/

Anyone feeling brave enough to try these? :eek:

Despite seeing them on family holidays, funfairs, festivals etc many times over the years I've never done one of those slingshots. Are they any good?

Despite seeing them on family holidays, funfairs, festivals etc many times over the years I've never done one of those slingshots. Are they any good?

I did one a year before covid hit the world. I found the experience a bit meh! I feel you have more force in the take off from Blackpool ice blast for a fraction of the price ;)

I would assume the slingshot will be one of the new-gen models that use steel cables and springs instead of elastic bungee cord. I also reckon the drop tower will probably be the same model as Highlander at Hansa Park.

Edit; if anyone hasn't seen the new-gen slingshots before then this is a great video about how they work. :)

Last edited:
Bump!

Construction tour courtesy of Taylor from Coaster Studios! :)

And just to confirm, the slingshot is indeed the new-gen spring-loaded model with steel cables. :)

Last edited:
On our last visit to Orlando way back in 2013 :( we contemplated doing some of the midway attractions but found them to be too expensive to justify it. When you've already forked out over £600 for a multi park pass paying 10 to 15 dollars for a Star Flyer / Bungee / Drop tower just will always feel bad value for money.

It's good to have the choice though and great for people who are staying nearby. Personally though I'd rather be at the main parks.

Do we know who the manufacturer of the drop tower is?
It hasn't been released actually, same with the Slingshot too. I think it's Funtime, given the seats look like the ones on Highlander at Hansa Park (they use Gerstlauer restraints). They also manufacture Slingshots, so that's probably from them as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob