• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Worst rollercoaster names in history

Iron Gwazi is a terrible name because not only is it lazy, it doesn't make any sense. The old Gwazi had the lion and tiger theme and was quite clever because that's what the word originates from, a hybrid of the two cats. Now the new version is themed to crocodiles.

Icon. A non-descript coaster in the shadow of an actual Icon.

There was a rumour at the time that Stealth was going to be called something else (might have been The Edge) but it turned out to infringe copyright so they had to come up with a new name at the last minute, apparently they couldn't think of anything better than the internal project name they were already using.

Sik, surely the worst name for a coaster in the entire history of coasters.

And I have a problem with F.L.Y. Apparently it stands for Flying Launched Coaster (or perhaps Fliegende Luftmaschine in German) but it bothers me that there’s a Y at the end for no apparent reason.

There was a rumour at the time that Stealth was going to be called something else (might have been The Edge) but it turned out to infringe copyright so they had to come up with a new name at the last minute, apparently they couldn't think of anything better than the internal project name they were already using.
FB_IMG_1679681341518.jpg
Yes! It was just 'Edge' originally but because The Edge from U2 had copyright on the name, it couldn't be used. I've always been confused by Stealth as a name for something that really isn't Stealthy 😂 but... there were allegedly some pretty terrible other potential options like 'Whoosh', 'Rod', 'Greased Lightnin' and 'Eat Dust'.

Sik, The Big One & anything 'The Ride' are my picks for worst name!

FB_IMG_1679681341518.jpg
Yes! It was just 'Edge' originally but because The Edge from U2 had copyright on the name, it couldn't be used.

If I recall correctly, the copyright issue was allegedly to do with The Edge pizza, then a signature at Pizza Hut, rather than the alias of yer man from U2.

It was an unusually last minute decision as the park had already installed the above logo, it was visible in on-site construction photos, without the Vloggers to dissect it at the time (Thorpe's SHOCK new coaster name!!)

Anyhow, back to the present day, the worst coaster name is definitely Sik.

If I recall correctly, the copyright issue was allegedly to do with The Edge pizza, then a signature at Pizza Hut, rather than the alias of yer man from U2.
That's what I'd always thought but Thorpe Park official stated it was U2!