• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Would Alton Towers be different today if it were still owned by Tussauds?

I don't think the resort theme park division is making any more money than it did in the later years of Tussauds. I don't think Merlin want to use the money the Lego parks make to fund the resort theme parks?

Last I heard RTP’s make good money, the only one that ever struggles is Thorpe. Lego run as a separate division within Merlin so I doubt they prop anything up really.

Talk about Differences between Tussauds and Merlin, am I the only one noticing the sudden decline of Quality adverts the park makes anymore. The last Great advert they made in Merlin hands was The Smilers. From then on, quite a few of them feel like college student films. Wicker Mans lacks the unique and charm the last 2 SW adverts had. It lacked the weird camera angles, no colour grading to the rides theme, nor did it feel that scary either. They just filmed a bunch of people that kneeled in a forest, the it just cuts to a few cameras stuck ot the rides car with people riding it.

Don't even remind me of the recent ads they've been showing on the telly ever since 2020. I know it's been a bit of a struggle for TV and Media because of "World Troubles out of their control" but, come on Merlin. These ads just don't have of the charm the Parks Tussauds and Early Merlin ads had, which actually manage to carry the Quirky feeling the Tussauds ads had. These new ads are just quick cuts, some sped up, slow motion cuts at an angle, drone footage, and a very standard sounding narrator, very surprising since its David Walliams, and it feels like he really wants it done as soon as possible.

Back when Tussauds made adverts, doesn't matter which era, they were bloody creative with each ads genre. Nemesis had that welcoming and exciting 90s sci fi cheese to it.

Oblivions advert, the best Ad ATs ever made, actually one of the best pieces of marketing ever made IMO. The bland colour it has, black, grey, white and orange. It already tells you this ride anything but happiness and joy, but rather, gloom and doom, fear of the unknown, and anticipation. The way the camera slowly tilts even more each cut, as if we're slipping into the hole, the sweat drop going down seemingly forever, and the sharp lighting the facial expressions given off from our main Character, and then "Don't. Look. Down!" Then the music kicks in, turning into almost a fast paced electronic version of in the Hall of The Mountain King as the car drops into the hole and soon goes offscreen as we follow the sweat drop finally land on the track with the Alton Towers branding with Oblivions logo almost coming to existence because of the drop.

This also apply with Airs advert. You start with a group of people in a seemingly dark voice, with only themselves and the car having a light blue layer of colour over them. Then the car goes into the flying position, "assume the position" comes up, the music builds up, as if something truly magical is about to happen. Mkent later, they're outside, goes past a flock of birds which seems to be closely inspected on, this is because its intentionally giving the viewer a huge hint of what the coasters main premise is, flight. The ad continues, the music becomes a relaxing remix of In the Hall of the Mountain King. Then the rides are finally let go from the car, now finally free to fly all by themselves. The ad ends with the ads main Character, the woman now starts to incline, then the camera cuts to her POV, with the clouds above becoming the iconic vortex, then finally the ad ends with "Air at alton towers, yoy can fly..."

I can go on for ages to how Tussauds handled their adverts brilliantly. Every ride or Hotel at the park that had an advert was given the rides/Hotels personality and style, and was made to be fun and intriguing to watch AND still be a very high quality product of marketing.

Rita's advert was serious thanks to the heatwaves on the first half, with the buildup to the launch, and the deep narration. Then the quick and intense cuts to the rider and the ride itself, making the ride feel quick and powerful, But fun with that final cut of the rider smiling in excitement. Rita may not be the best ride, but I think its the best advert Alton Towers has made since Airs.

Don't believe me, here's a challenge for you. Watch any of Tussauds Alton Towers adverts, doesn't matter which era, they're all great to me, then compare it to Alton Towers Wicker Man and the 2021 advert promoting Gangsta Granny. Then compare the 3 to one another. Or you can compare the 2 below.

These 2 adverts are doing something vert similar, trying to represent the entire park as a whole while being very quic laced and mainstream. The first one is Tussauds 2007 advert, probably the last advert the ever made, and the one below that one is Alton Towers 2021 advert.

I know I'm probably overthinking this entire subject, but I think there's a huge drop in quality of Adverts recently, which I don't finally appealing. This might only be me though...

I do feel a lot of the adverts nowadays just all seem to lack a sense of wonder and a 'wow' factor. I remember Nemesis' advert is one of the best that they've ever done mainly working as a great 'show don't tell' piece of media in which I feel is a lost art nowadays for adverts and not just Towers or anything Merlin related.

Speaking of adverts, this is likely a bit of topic, or actually not given that this advert uses Black Hole's lift hill music, is that 1995 advert for Space Mountain at DLP, IMO perhaps one the best adverts ever done for any theme park attraction that pretty much has the points I mentioned above with what I like to see of not revealing much and having that 'wow' factor and the fact that I remember this advert so much after all these years says a lot.

Don't believe me, here's a challenge for you. Watch any of Tussauds Alton Towers adverts, doesn't matter which era, they're all great to me, then compare it to Alton Towers Wicker Man and the 2021 advert promoting Gangsta Granny.
Okay....

Sorry but I am 100% siding with Wicker Man here

Okay....

Sorry but I am 100% siding with Wicker Man here

Well, we all have our preferences, mate, nothing wrong with that ;)
There have been some good adverts in recent years. Wicker Man as shown above, and The Smiler has a pretty good TV advert also.
The Smiler's ad was really good!! Last Great ad I think they made.

It probably doesn't help that I'm also doing media at college, so I probably see the ads from a different perspective.

Personal preference; I much prefer the 2021 advert you show to the 2007 one…

I’ve never really sat down and thought about Towers’ adverts too much, but I certainly don’t think they’ve gotten any worse by any means.

In terms of Wicker Man’s advert; making it less dark and “coloured to theme” may have been a conscious choice. Remember what happened last time they did an overly dark advert for a family thrill coaster (Thirteen)…

Personal preference; I much prefer the 2021 advert you show to the 2007 one…

I’ve never really sat down and thought about Towers’ adverts too much, but I certainly don’t think they’ve gotten any worse by any means.

In terms of Wicker Man’s advert; making it less dark and “coloured to theme” may have been a conscious choice. Remember what happened last time they did an overly dark advert for a family thrill coaster (Thirteen)…
I know, Th13teens marketing was a bit all over the place, great advert, too great in fact lol that it became a disadvantage.

But also remember this teaser they released.

I really wanted the main advert to have this tone and style, but all we got was, Personally, one of the most lackluster adverts I've ever seen AT make. I remember seeing on Telly for the first time and it gave little to no impact of wanting to try it out unlike The Smilers advert. The only part of the advert I liked was the tree carvings of the logo, which I must admit, was pretty cool. But the rest of it doesn't feel like the Alton Towers I know. Like I said earlier, it feels like a college film project with very basic editing.

Last edited:
But also remember this teaser they released.

I really wanted the main advert to have this tone and style, but all we got was, Personally, one of the most lackluster adverts I've ever seen AT make. I remember seeing on Telly for the first time and it gave little to no impact of wanting to try it out unlike The Smilers advert. He only part of the advert I liked was the tree carvings of the logo, which I must admit, was pretty cool. But the rest of it doesn't feel like the Alton Towers I know. Like I said earlier, it feels like a college film project with very basic editing.

That teaser advert is great, but unless you already know what Wicker Man is you would have zero idea that it is advertising a new rollercoaster. Adverts not only need to look nice and feel well made, but be clear in the product that they are advertising.

Thorpe Park got this all wrong in 2012 with The Swarm, many people thought that the TV advert was advertising the new You Me At Six song rather than a new rollercoaster at Thorpe Park.

There were some utterly brilliant adverts in the Tussauds era mind.

That teaser advert is great, but unless you already know what Wicker Man is you would have zero idea that it is advertising a new rollercoaster. Adverts not only need to look nice and feel well made, but be clear in the product that they are advertising.

Thorpe Park got this all wrong in 2012 with The Swarm, many people thought that the TV advert was advertising the new You Me At Six song rather than a new rollercoaster at Thorpe Park.

There were some utterly brilliant adverts in the Tussauds era mind.
The Swarms main advert always felt a bit too cinematic, which I think caused a lot of misleading for a lot of Viewers, thinking it was a film at first.

Tussauds really had a fantastic consistency with their adverts. I always found their Hotel advert to be the most overlooked, it's a favourite of mine.

Merlins adverts when promoting Hotels is literally just a family with fake smiles entering a room and kids playing on the bed. If Merlin want people to stay at their Hotel Resorts, start taking notes by this advert.

Last edited:
Merlins adverts when promoting Hotels is literally just a family with fake smiles entering a room and kids playong on the bed. If Merlin want people to stay at their Hotel Resorts, start taking notes by this advert.

They also aren't building themed hotels to the same standard of ATH. Chessington & Thorpe couldn't do that style of advert because their hotels don't offer that.

Even ATH doesn't reflect that and probably hasn't for close to 20 years with the way the bar and afternoon tea are presented.

They also aren't building themed hotels to the same standard of ATH. Chessington & Thorpe couldn't do that style of advert because their hotels don't offer that.

Even ATH doesn't reflect that and probably hasn't for close to 20 years with the way the bar and afternoon tea are presented.
I've not experienced Alton Towers Hotel myself, only the Splash landings Hotel, but the advert alone makes me want to go there, thanks to its excellent quality and charm, which is what an advert should do, make someone want to either buy a product or go there.

The current adverts hold little quality, and just are lackluster marketing schemes that don't encourage me to even consider going to the Parks New Hotels.

The Swarms main advert always felt a bit too cinematic, which I think caused a lot of misleading for a lot of Viewers, thinking it was a film at first.

Tussauds really had a fantastic consistency with their adverts. I always found their Hotel advert to be the most overlooked, it's a favourite of mine.

Merlins adverts when promoting Hotels is literally just a family with fake smiles entering a room and kids playing on the bed. If Merlin want people to stay at their Hotel Resorts, start taking notes by this advert.

That advert sums up the missing magic we all talk about …..
that hotel was magical when it opened and set up what was an amazing experience.

Now you feel like your an inconvenience in park and would be better off at a travel lodge.

On topic - older ads win! Yay!

That advert sums up the missing magic we all talk about …..
that hotel was magical when it opened and set up what was an amazing experience.

Now you feel like your an inconvenience in park and would be better off at a travel lodge.

On topic - older ads win! Yay!
Great to see that I'm not some nut job thinking it's just me!!

And I thought the 2021 advert was bad enough... this is literally just standard camera cuts, then unsurprisingly, the final scene being the family entering a hotel, showing all its features in the most mediocre way imaginable... of course... this is straight out lazy I think. It makes those drink adverts look like top notch masterpieces of marketing.

One point possibly being neglected is that I think advertising in general has changed since the 1990s. Things are generally a lot more descriptive and on-the-nose in adverts these days.

One point possibly being neglected is that I think advertising in general has changed since the 1990s. Things are generally a lot more descriptive and on-the-nose in adverts these days.
Not really, most adverts are still the same in style, with only the era and dated style and jokes changing. Adverts were REALLY descriptive in those days. Alton Towers adverts were and are pretty timeless and got a lot of people invested in the park BECAUSE of those adverts, and the fact that a lot of people still make complications of those adverts to this day, which get quite a fair amount of views themselves. They're old, yes, but dated is definitely not what they are.

All of Altons Towers adverts are literally the same nowadays, have some drone shots, a family with kids, the kids go to the new areas attractions, they're now at the hotel, they go in their room with fake smiles, the end... how can anyone think that these are better than the ones ranging from the early 90s to the mid 2000s?

Last edited:
Not really, most adverts are still the same in style, with only the era and dated style and jokes changing. Adverts were REALLY descriptive in those days. Alton Towers adverts were and are pretty timeless and got a lot of people invested in the park BECAUSE of those adverts, and the fact that a lot of people still make complications of those adverts to this day, which get quite a fair amount of views themselves. They're old, yes, but dated is definitely not what they are.

All of Altons Towers adverts are literally the same nowadays, have some drone shots, a family with kids, the kids go to the new areas attractions, they're now at the hotel, they go in their room with fake smiles, the end... how can anyone think that these are better than the ones ranging from the early 90s to the mid 2000s?
Had to double post here sorry, but Thorpe Parks newest advert just proves my point even more with ATs current Adverts.

Standard Drone shots? Check!
Average Narrator? Check!
New Event being promoted with minimum effort, and for some reason, Dutch angles? Check, mate!

At least the 'Let it out' build-up was kinda nice. That's all I can say to this qdvert positively really :/

I've got a feeling All the 3 main parks share the same Marketing team, which is a shame really when it looks like they really don't know the Parks character and charm well.

Let us not forget that there's one huge difference between 'back then' and current time. The Internet and general technological advances.

Where advertising used to be the only way to reach people to tell them about your new attractions, you had to include some semblance of what that new attraction was.

Let's look at 1998, and Oblivion. The Oblivion adverts are still, to this day, my favourites. They are clear, punchy and give you a visual of what the ride is. A great slogan, a terrifying world's first, and top notch secrecy on-site until the release. Where we used to have a mere 5 channels with terrestrial being dominant (Sky was a baby back in 1998!) you had a captive audience of people who would jump at the chance to see and ride THE OBLIVION.

The interwebs means you really have to be creative; it's rare to be able to keep anything under wraps completely. Particularly when you have a fan-community who are desperate to be the first to break news and tell the world what they know... guilty. You're competing for airtime (on TV and other screens!) with thousands of other places vying for people's money. A couple of CGI shots of a ride area and a catchy slogan just don't cut it anymore. With the fast-paced information highway we all face every day, I think there's research to suggest you have a sweet spot of around 3 seconds to grab someone's attention before they're off to the next bright and flashy ad. I certainly tend to record TV programmes on my swish digi-box and fast-forward through the ads. How do you compete with that??

Anyway. Tussauds Vs Merlin as a whole. Who knows where Tussauds would have taken the park(s). I think there's always an element of rose-tinted "what could have been" for us, but in honesty I feel it boils down to "the parks are declining" and we wish for something more.

It was mentioned earlier in the topic about accountants being at the heart of the company, and that no company would shell out huge sums on well themed areas year after year. To a point I agree, but I consider the primary equation to be high guest satisfaction equals higher spends from your guests.

The decline of any park begins when low levels of investments are noted. I can't say that is the case for Towers under Merlin; Th13teen, The Smiler, Wickerman, CBeebies Land. There have been some questionable investments; N:ST, Cloud Cuckoo Land & The Dungeons, but that doesn't mean low levels. Yes they could do more, and the park itself deserves more as the "premier" theme park in the UK, but I'm not sure Tussauds could have done much better.

Last edited:
For those who remember prior to Merlin taking over, Thorpe Park was actually getting all the exciting investment with attractions and was a park on the up during the latter part of the Tussauds era in contrast to Towers which had some questionable attractions such as Charlie and Rita and had this mindset carried on, it's possible Thorpe might have gotten all the attention and be very different today in which they end up being the premier UK theme park.

Had Towers during the Merlin takeover had remained independent with perhaps Tussauds barely surviving by somehow keeping a hold of Towers with everything else such as Chessie and Thorpe being sold to Merlin to keep them financially afloat as I have (shameless plug) in my alternate history suspected with Merlin having those two parks and Towers being independent doing its own thing, we would have stronger competition in this country and its interesting to think how different everything would be. Towers vs Thorpe with BPB being the washed up giant that can't keep pace in a three way battle...I'd love to live in that timeline.

For those who remember prior to Merlin taking over, Thorpe Park was actually getting all the exciting investment with attractions and was a park on the up during the latter part of the Tussauds era in contrast to Towers which had some questionable attractions such as Charlie and Rita and had this mindset carried on, it's possible Thorpe might have gotten all the attention and be very different today in which they end up being the premier UK theme park.

Had Towers during the Merlin takeover had remained independent with perhaps Tussauds barely surviving by somehow keeping a hold of Towers with everything else such as Chessie and Thorpe being sold to Merlin to keep them financially afloat as I have (shameless plug) in my alternate history suspected with Merlin having those two parks and Towers being independent doing its own thing, we would have stronger competition in this country and its interesting to think how different everything would be. Towers vs Thorpe with BPB being the washed up giant that can't keep pace in a three way battle...I'd love to live in that timeline.

Or we would have Thorpe competing as an independent with Chessington, Legoland and Paultons. Thorpe only turned into a major thrill park when Tussauds bought it as they wanted differentiation from their existing Chessington park. Without Tussauds input Thorpe may have continued as a water themed family theme park.