• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector's Future (including Oblivion and The Smiler)

I noticed this on every visit last year too, annoying having to wait at the stop of the stairs when you don't have anything to scan or check for SRQ. I don't understand why they scan there either, as a group could go past all claiming "single rider" and then just join the fast track line when it splits off into 3 if they are only checking the tickets at the main queue entrance.
isn't there a seperate fast track for the smiler and wickerman, could it be to prevent people from queing for smiler without the right fast track?

Guests are told to have their fastracks ready at the entrance, but they're not scanned until the merge point. RAP cards are marked at the entrance and checked again at merge.
Ah that makes more sense. And the reason I never noticed them checking at merge is because I usually go SRQ and skip the merge.

I think they sometimes hold one or more of Smiler's non-main queues at the entrance due to lack of space in the pit. When the ride was built it was never anticipated that people would be waiting a long time for either FT or RAP so not much space would be needed. Now that doesn't work and you end up with multiple queues spilling out of their respective entrances and preventing people getting through to the other(s). In theory you can avoid this by holding people at the entrance and only letting people in when there's space for them. This then creates a bottleneck at the ride entrance instead.

A possible fix would be to remove some of the main queue and repurpose it as additional FT/RAP queue space so they they're long enough to never reach the entry steps - the main queue rarely reaches that point so in theory they could remove queue equivalent to the length of the overspill without any problems

A possible fix would be to remove some of the main queue and repurpose it as additional FT/RAP queue space so they they're long enough to never reach the entry steps - the main queue rarely reaches that point so in theory they could remove queue equivalent to the length of the overspill without any problems
If the Fasttrack queue is that long they have oversold fasttrack and if the RAP queue is that long it defeats the purpose of RAP. The underlying cause needs fixing not the physical space. Sell less fasttrack if the ride can't handle it, or alter the merge ratio. Then RAP of course there is a whole seperate discussion.

Sell less fasttrack???
Make less money for free!!!
Get out of here.
My solution would be to feed the whole queue right round the ride boundary, giving the poor souls of punters a changing view and drier feet...and a feeling of actually making progress instead of the concrete pens.
It improved the log flume queue no end when they did similar there.

Ok, time to bring this thread back to life but with all the chat about a possible retheme or update of X-Sector now looking possible in the coming years and the idea of a retrack of Oblivion which might see a extended layout which personally I don't see with the later however it did get me thinking in what they could do with a rework of Oblivion in the future to try and make it better and I might have an idea all regarding the hole.

Instead of changing the layout seeing that it would be impossible to do so, why not use it to its advantage and instead add one long black tube all the way from the exit to the hole right all the way along the break run thus given you the impression of the hole being far bigger and playing into its gimmick far greater? The more you think about it, the more it actually seems to make more sense in which the updated Oblivion theme can still play into that Lord of Darkness storyline but remade either with original said actor (sorry I forget his name) or someone new but still the same character along with the Lord of Light character who has a more larger role in this version of the story.

You remember how in one of the ride videos in which the Lord of Light warns the riders that some of the ride cars go missing? What if instead it is said that all the ride cars go missing and in the context of an off ride experience, he has a good point as with the other half of the ride being all totally covered up, you never see any ride car come out the other end or on the break run, all covered up remember, in which creates a far more frightening experience in which if you are watching your friends or family from off ride go down into the hole, you never actually see them come out the other end which all plays into this fact far greater and all in all makes the theme more darker than before.

Now if you remember that tree by the Enterprise site which has seen one end of the Oblivion cars not have any riders in fear of being hit by the tree, there is an added win-win believe it or not in which if you cover that section of track in that large tube it means you are not in a position to get hit by said tree and thus Oblivion can return to full capacity once again but also if they are to install a flat ride in that area, I'd do something a bit more and not cut down that tree but actually plant more trees around that area as not only does this look good in the eyes on the conservation minded people if the park wants to get with their good graces but it also would help add to being a natural barrier to hide that part of the ride that you don't even see the outline of the banked curved. Granted, it would take years for the planted trees to take affect but it would be worth it.

Anyway, regarding this large tube which it would have to be a wide thing regarding the ride cars but this would be a good thing as with the space it means you add effects inside to help make it feel like you are falling into some weird hellish dimension that Oblivion is taking you which all makes you more disoriented like make you feel like you are spinning. On the break run where you would be waiting, this is where the actually finale of the Oblivion story ends in which just as you feel have met your end going to Hell, bright white lights suddenly appear (a la when you hit the break run) in which added TV screens see's the Lord of Light make a return in which he explains that he has saved you from the edge of, ahem, Oblivion before then the Lord of Darkness, now unmasked with the jig being up and furious that you have escaped, rants of how that you've escaped but promises that you might have been a fluke this time but no second chances next time, almost like that footage at the end of the 1998 firework shows in which the Lord of Darkness returns in which can be a remake of that moment.

Reason why I'd do this as I never felt the ride had a true ending in a way in which IMO never felt like a pay off in which were you supposed to escape or did the Lord of Darkness wanted you to never return? I know the ride can be opened to speculation but it has always bothered me personally. So all in all, we turn Oblivion into more of a dark ride and thus turn the ride into far more of a fuller experience, as what many said should have been the case with Air had its original planned larger theming should have been in place to help make that ride more of an experience that a thrill, than it ever was and would more than make up for its short length in which you could argue should have been the case with that ride when it first opened to make up for not being long.

So in a nutshell, place half of Oblivion's track in a big long tube and suddenly you make the ride better without changing the layout.

There is effectively no theme to X Sector. It is now so faded and weak that no one other than the most extreme of enthusiasts would even be aware of it, let alone think about it or experience immersion. It is too far-fetched to revive, so a re-theme is probably justified with the addition of a new flat that must really help explain said re-theme.

There is no theme to X Sector anymore, just ‘the area where Smiler and Oblivion are’. Dark Forest is equally weak, both areas just have two vaguely themed coasters (I’d even argue now that Dark Forest coasters are better themed!), and nothing else in the way of flats, themed food and drink, set pieces etc. They’re close to being blank canvases.

Last edited:
There is no theme to X Sector anymore, just ‘the area where Smiler and Oblivion are’. Dark Forest is equally weak, both areas just have two vaguely themed coasters (I’d even argue now that Dark Forest coasters are better themed!), and nothing else in the way of flats, themed food and drink, set pieces etc. They’re close to being blank canvases.

I’ve heard from a reliable member here X Sector is due some attention.

Logical would say the park will work through each area, maybe over two seasons to spread budget.
Clearly FV is first (well arguably gloomy wood was), the next eldest will be X Sector.

I’ve heard from a reliable member here X Sector is due some attention.

Logical would say the park will work through each area, maybe over two seasons to spread budget.
Clearly FV is first (well arguably gloomy wood was), the next eldest will be X Sector.
Technically didn't Katanga Canyon get some work done too over last year? Either, at least half of the park is looking fresh with the other half, with the exception of Cbeebiesland maybe, needing work with X-Sector likely the next candidate as you mentioned.

Having food trucks in X Sector is a sensible idea to fill ride gaps for this season and bring a bit more atmosphere to the area.

Obviously next season the area theme needs a refresh and id expect at least one new flat ride for the area. At least the park can generate some additional income from the vacant space this season.

I think Galactica re-theme and X Sector spruce up next closed season (along with at least 1 new X Sector flat) and then a complete overall of Dark Forest the following year to coincide with the increased traffic horizon will bring to that corner of the park.

Hopefully they'll revisit the Port Discovery idea, they could theme the area as an excavasion site.

The marmaliser could be some sort of Victorian era steam powered drone catching contraption similar to thing in the Wild Wild West film.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hopefully they'll revisit the Port Discovery idea, they could theme the area as an excavasion site.

The marmaliser could be some sort of Victorian era steam powered drone catching contraption similar to thing in the Wild Wild West film.

maxresdefault.jpg
Would have personally had Port Discovery replace TWODW when Project Horizon is built as part of that newly expanded land but then again suppose if X-Sector was to get its planned Steampunk look from all those years ago would be a nice full circle moment for those fans in the know.

I’d say, with almost 100% certainly, that there is no way X Sector and its rides will have any significant theme changes. Oblivion and The Smiler are arguably the strongest IPs Alton Towers have. I know some people feel X Sector and Forbidden Valley are becoming too similar, but to the average guest, I don’t think they’d agree.

I think the most likely outcome will be a refurb of the current theme to make it feel fresh and a couple of exciting flat rides.

People are referring to next season already (2025) and putting flats in X Sector, I know we have confirmed Forbidden Valley, however surely 3 in one season won’t happen? I know it did at Thorpe but, after all these years surely not? Unless this is the actual turning point for towers.

@Excalibur im feeling the same as you. Still FB work to be done if Air gets rethemed. Can’t see major work in X Sector myself, just a refurb.

It needs it but 26 is clearly Horizon so when will the work get done, 27? Seems to far off. Which points back to 25.