• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

X-Sector's Future (including Oblivion and The Smiler)

Throughput-wise, Smiler can do better than some imply, from my experience. On my most recent visit, with 4 trains running and the baggage hold open, the ride was hitting a solid 900pph on both days. However, that does come with a caveat in that the ride has to be running at full pelt with both of those factors at play, and that is not always the case, from my experience; I’ve seen times where the ride has only been running 3 trains, not had the baggage hold open or both, and that will lower the throughput quite notably to not much more than 700pph.

I actually think that on a good day for Smiler and a bad one for Oblivion, the two could actually be quite closely matched. I’ve seen times within the last few years where Oblivion has been attaining 900pph or slightly less on 2 stations. While I’ll admit that some of my more recent visits have been better, with 2-station throughputs more in the ballpark of 1,000-1,100pph, I wouldn’t say that its typical 2-station throughput is any more than the throughput of, say, Wicker Man on 3 trains these days, from my experience.

To move away from Smiler and Blivy, now that the topic has been to include all of X-Sector, any idea if this area might be next to see treatment say in 2025? Yes, it seems that a new look Ripsaw is likely for 2025 but it is just a flat ride and if it is true that the park as three flat rides bought already, maybe it could be a flat ride year with the other two going into X-Sector? Sort out your flat ride problem in one fell swoop of a year.

Given how Forbidden Valley is now seemly taking over X-Sector's theme, it might be possible that the park will won't to avoid two similarly themed areas, then again we do have two spooky wood themed areas even if one of them is an utter joke. What could X-Sector become seeing as the Y2K feel of the place that made it relevant on opening day is now looking both tired and dated, you could say it is ripe for change. Maybe a copy and paste job of Oblivion's Italian cousin in Gardaland regarding theming wise? Who knows really but it is to me the area that is likely the next area to get a make over sooner than later.

It would be quite different from FV if they continue the lean on technology. If they still wanted to go for a dystopian feel, then something like the style of Blade Runner or Cyberpunk would be up to date with modern trends, and still actually have some colour.

... As long as they don't go down the Daz route again. Oh god. Youtube Land anyone?

Reactions: Ash
To move away from Smiler and Blivy, now that the topic has been to include all of X-Sector, any idea if this area might be next to see treatment say in 2025? Yes, it seems that a new look Ripsaw is likely for 2025 but it is just a flat ride and if it is true that the park as three flat rides bought already, maybe it could be a flat ride year with the other two going into X-Sector? Sort out your flat ride problem in one fell swoop of a year.

Given how Forbidden Valley is now seemly taking over X-Sector's theme, it might be possible that the park will won't to avoid two similarly themed areas, then again we do have two spooky wood themed areas even if one of them is an utter joke. What could X-Sector become seeing as the Y2K feel of the place that made it relevant on opening day is now looking both tired and dated, you could say it is ripe for change. Maybe a copy and paste job of Oblivion's Italian cousin in Gardaland regarding theming wise? Who knows really but it is to me the area that is likely the next area to get a make over sooner than later.
Dunno, if they were to add a new flat ride to X-Sector, hopefully it'd be something akin to Enterprise or maybe something like Energizer (Which I doubt due to the rumoured return of Ripsaw.) Hell, maybe even something like submission?...

It would be quite different from FV if they continue the lean on technology. If they still wanted to go for a dystopian feel, then something like the style of Blade Runner or Cyberpunk would be up to date with modern trends, and still actually have some colour.

... As long as they don't go down the Daz route again. Oh god. Youtube Land anyone?
Please no... Just... No...

A cyberpunk like Tron area might be interesting, still keep it's dark theme yet give it a neon look, imagine glowing in the dark at say Scarefest? Maybe call it X-Sector 2198 let's say! :p
Dunno, if they were to add a new flat ride to X-Sector, hopefully it'd be something akin to Enterprise or maybe something like Energizer (Which I doubt due to the rumoured return of Ripsaw.) Hell, maybe even something like submission?...
Instead of Submission, you could pay tribute with an Intamin Swing Hammer model which would be roughly the same yet would be a different beast altogether. Worth something different but then again, if it is three Huss models that Towers have gotten then a new look Enterprise is a shoe-in I suspect but I could be wrong ofc.

A cyberpunk like Tron area might be interesting, still keep it's dark theme yet give it a neon look, imagine glowing in the dark at say Scarefest? Maybe call it X-Sector 2198 let's say! :p

Instead of Submission, you could pay tribute with an Intamin Swing Hammer model which would be roughly the same yet would be a different beast altogether. Worth something different but then again, if it is three Huss models that Towers have gotten then a new look Enterprise is a shoe-in I suspect but I could be wrong ofc.
Interesting, just looked at the Intamine Swing Hammer model on their website, looks very nice I'll give credit!
Who knows what flat rides AT are planning on adding throughout the park... Hopefully some flat rides which will be as loved as Ripsaw!

Oblivion is hampered by operational changes over the years that have slowed it's throughput in favour of safety.
I won't go into detail what all of those changes are, and I'm sure there are some I'm not aware of but if you look at earlier videos of it in operation, it's clear staff had far less to concern themselves with.
They used to dispatch shuttles with guests still on the exit platform!
All this to say that it's nothing to do with the efficiency of any team, they are all doing their best with what they are given.

Also I don't actually think single rider works that well on Oblivion due to the split station and both that and fast track add a lot of faff to batching. Just simple efficient batching with no extra faff helps that ride a lot.

Also I don't actually think single rider works that well on Oblivion due to the split station and both that and fast track add a lot of faff to batching. Just simple efficient batching with no extra faff helps that ride a lot.
True, plus Oblivion is the shortest ride at AT, most of the time on the ride just being on the brake run waiting to be unloaded so another batch can be sent.

Neither of the coasters are going anywhere. They will find a way to keep them running although I can see Alton Towers letting them fall into even more of a state before doing anything. Just too many competing priorities for Alton Towers at the moment which cost time and money.

Smiler is still a massive draw for the park for the GP. In my experience it is usual the coaster that gets brought up first in casual conversation if someone is talking about their day at Alton Towers.

The whole area does need a massive refresh. Both coasters need full repaints (done properly so they don't fade after just a season or two). They need a permanent flat ride in the area. They need to sort out the drainage in the Smiler queue line and refresh the stations + the other buildings and food outlets in the area. I am sure Alton Towers are aware of all that, they aren't blind and I am sure they get customer feedback, but it is going to be a big job and cost a lot.

At the moment I can see them doing Ripsaw 2 over the next closed season along with whatever they plan to do to Galactica and then they can say at least say that they have 'finished' with an area. And then work on X sector over the 2025/26 and 2026/27 closed seasons. That still leaves the Rita/Dark Forest problem and whatever other problems spring up at the park in the meantime + Project Horizon....

I doubt that they would be able to do everything to refresh X sector over one closed season given time and money. But closing X sector for part of the season isn't really an option either because there is so much capacity there.

Neither of the coasters are going anywhere. They will find a way to keep them running although I can see Alton Towers letting them fall into even more of a state before doing anything. Just too many competing priorities for Alton Towers at the moment which cost time and money.

Smiler is still a massive draw for the park for the GP. In my experience it is usual the coaster that gets brought up first in casual conversation if someone is talking about their day at Alton Towers.

The whole area does need a massive refresh. Both coasters need full repaints (done properly so they don't fade after just a season or two). They need a permanent flat ride in the area. They need to sort out the drainage in the Smiler queue line and refresh the stations + the other buildings and food outlets in the area. I am sure Alton Towers are aware of all that, they aren't blind and I am sure they get customer feedback, but it is going to be a big job and cost a lot.

At the moment I can see them doing Ripsaw 2 over the next closed season along with whatever they plan to do to Galactica and then they can say at least say that they have 'finished' with an area. And then work on X sector over the 2025/26 and 2026/27 closed seasons. That still leaves the Rita/Dark Forest problem and whatever other problems spring up at the park in the meantime + Project Horizon....

I doubt that they would be able to do everything to refresh X sector over one closed season given time and money. But closing X sector for part of the season isn't really an option either because there is so much capacity there.
Unless relatively new I don't buy into the theory that any single ride is a "Massive draw" for the park. Any ride or coaster that's been there for three or more years is just another part of the parks offering. Sure everyone has a favourite coaster but you pretty much go there to ride them all rather than a rollercoaster that's nearly 11 years old now. It's a shame they did the curse new for last season otherwise you'd probably get a good idea on whether or not having Nemesis would negatively effect attendances.

For me the Smiler is just a pretty horrid experience all round and no inversion on there is as good as Nemesis' loop

Unless relatively new I don't buy into the theory that any single ride is a "Massive draw" for the park. Any ride or coaster that's been there for three or more years is just another part of the parks offering. Sure everyone has a favourite coaster but you pretty much go there to ride them all rather than a rollercoaster that's nearly 11 years old now
Suit yourself Smiler is the main reason I visit not anything else😂

@Ethan fancy going on nemesis reborn opening day just to lap the smiler all day with me just so we can spite all these lot.
If it’s the choice between a 60 min Smiler queue and 180 Nemesis I know where I’m going that’s all I’m saying

That's something you need to work on with your therapist.
I go for Nemesis too if that makes you feel better. My goal is 80 rides or more on Nemmy this year which is possible

That would only be about 500 people in The Smiler queue with such capacity ;)
On 4 trains it’s about 880 but does the amount of people in the queue matter. Nemesis will have half the park in the queue all day so I’m not expecting the other rides to get that busy