• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your favourite MCBR exits on roller coasters?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. MCBRs, or mid-course brake runs if you're not into abbreviation, are often used on coasters as a way of increasing capacity. Enthusiasts often bemoan their inclusion due to them breaking the flow of the ride, but sometimes, their exits can provide surprising opportunities for airtime or force. So as much as this might seem like a bizarre question, I'd be keen to know; what are some of your favourite MCBR exits on a roller coaster? What mid-course brake run exits add a surprisingly fun element to their respective rides?

I'll get the ball rolling with my own answers.

In terms of my own answers, I have 2 rides in mind.
  • The first that comes to mind is the MCBR exit on Silver Star at Europa Park. I love this one because it provides a surprising moment of strong ejector upon exiting the MCBR wherever you're seated in the train, and this can really catch you off guard if you're not anticipating it, as you can possibly tell by the rider screaming when it occurs in the below POV! (If the timestamp hasn't moved already, go to 2:49):
  • The second that comes to mind is actually Saw The Ride at Thorpe Park. I like this MCBR exit because like Silver Star above, it offers a really surprising moment of strong ejector; you really fly out of your seat when exiting the MCBR on this! (If the timestamp hasn't moved already, go to 1:47):

But what are some of your favourite MCBR exits?

Wholly agree on Silver Star, great to turn to the side and have a conversation with your fellow passenger, Saw is great until you hit the horrifically painful inversion that follows.

Personally I rather like the MCBR exit on PMBO at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, not because it's anything particularly special, in fact if anything it's incredibly dull, cumbersome and uncomfortable. It does however mean the ordeal is almost over!

Saw and Silver Star are quite good.

The swoop out of the last MCBR (at least I think they're meant to be MCBRs) into the helix on Cannonball Express at Pleasurewood Hills is just a lovely piece of Schwarzkopf engineering.

One of The Walking Dead's MCBRs is quite interesting. The ride stops as if it has broken down, a voiceover explains that they are trying to fix it and the ride stops and starts abruptly a few times (while the zombies break through the windows next to you) before finally leaving the brakes. I don't like The Walking Dead in general because it's still a family coaster with a horror theme but I think that bit works pretty well.

I find the tunnel MCBR on RMT to be extremely thrilling. It can really grab the train and throw you forward in your seat. You only get it once in a blue moon if your train happens to dramatically overspeed when it enters the tunnel. But when it kicks in, boy does it kick in. Then, when it releases and exits it’s like a rocket off the spot. Practically a launch! Pretty sure it’s not by design, and probably trashes the motors and tyres, but hey ho!

And just to second @Burbs, Naga Bay’s MCBRs are all joyous, but number 2 just slightly edges ahead of the others.

Goliath at SFMM. Almost brings you to a dead stop, then leads into an misleadingly intense helix which feels like it never ends.
Titan at Six Flags Over Texas as well, if your in the front cars you just sort of hang over the drop waiting for the rest of the train to clear the MCBR.

The one on Steel Vengeance, it doesn't do anything but it sort of signifys the rides change from the initial part with the big drops and stalls etc into the absolute madness of the 2nd half when its low to the ground and going through the structure.

A couple of the exits to the MCBRs on Wilde Maus XXL are pretty good. The exit of the first one is the first drop after a small corner and one of the ones about 2/3rds through releases you into a really sharp corner at some speed

Saw: The Ride's. It provides a great pop of ejector airtime.