• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Theme Park Ideas and Concepts

Right, my turn now... And I'm gonna start from 98.

1998: The end of the beginning

(RW means Real World and each non-year bold is an alternative version.

Just like RW, Oblivion will open but Nickelodeon: Outta Control will remain open past 1998. Nothing else happens until...

The date: 17th October 1998, Time: 14:00. Location: Toyland Tours.

A fire caused by a broken animatronic quickly spreads. Thankfully, the crew and riders evacuated safely. The park was evacuated as the fire spread.

Alton Towers stayed shut for 3 days until the 20th. When the park reopened, the first thing that everyone noticed, was Cred Street was shut with banners saying: "We are sorry but due to an investigation, Cred Street will remain closed for the rest of 1998."

The park had to do something to save itself (POD 1: The park goes bankrupt!)

1999: Emergency planning!

The park announced during the closed season that new rides would operate in Forbidden Valley, X Sector and the new Ug Land to fill in while the future of Cred Street remained in doubt.

The rides: A spinning ride called UG-Spinner, Submission which in this case was launched early in X Sector, and a Drop Tower in Forbidden Valley called Drop-Zone.

(map below shows the park map pre-opening, before the new rides.)

Then in May, Cred Street reopened, but Toyland Tours remained behind shutters. (POD 2: Cred Street stayed shut)

Bar that, nothing else broke out. (Pun intended)

2000: New Year, New Toyland.

Two years. Two years since the infamous fire in Cred Street. Two years since the day. And now, Toyland was ready.

March 24th 2000: (BBC NEWS WEBSITE) Alton Towers ride damaged in fire reopens!

It was back, Toyland had returned, but the area had been shortened to avoid the still flame-burnt lands.

And then, a week later...

Shutters appeared around Forbidden Valley, and SW5 was coming...

But Hex came too, opening in late Summer following a problem with the systems. But unlike RL, No Barney.

2001: The future is here!

SW5 opened earlier than RL, and Air does not open in Forbidden Valley, despite the shutters. Instead opening in Ug Land, causing it to be renamed Future Ville. With a new Water Park under construction...

2002: The year of Nothing.

2002 was a boring year. That was it. The only construction took place? at the water-park

(I'm starting to run out of ideas so if anyone wants to help, I'll accept it...)

(Also forgot to mention, the Infamous Smiler crash will still happen, but with worse punishments for Merlin, the park and the ride.

Attachments

• 1999map.jpg
    1999map.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wanted to share this for ages, but always had some idea for a Ghost Train. Apologies if the facade looks like a Ripoff of Duel, as that was done for a College Project for 3D design.

Apologies for the lack of quality done in these. They were the first Concept art I ever did in my spare time and are over a year old now. Though, I think you're are some pretty outrageous and spontan ideas here, such as the floor being stretched across and being a floor and a wall in a slop-like manner. I do like the Cheaper version of the Infinite corridor effect. Just 2 mirrors aimed at each other with one having a dark patch in the center to look like it's getting darker the longer the hallway goes.

The Water Well using the Peppers Ghost effect to give off the illusion that there are spirits escaping from the Well. Outside of them, I wouldn't consider anything else 'Top Quality.' But I guess we all gotta start from somewhere. With this I tried to create a style that was a mixture of the Original Alton Towers Haunted House and Wicked Witches Haunt.

Let me know your thoughts on them and if you'd like me to make more!

Attachments

• 20221227_211554.jpg
    20221227_211554.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221227_211604.jpg
    20221227_211604.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221227_211617.jpg
    20221227_211617.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221227_211629.jpg
    20221227_211629.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221227_211742.jpg
    20221227_211742.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221227_212922.jpg
    20221227_212922.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221227_212818.jpg
    20221227_212818.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Double post sorry, but do any of you guys have any ideas you would love to see in Haunted House attraction? Let me know, and I'll see if I can do a sketch of them for you!!

Double post sorry, but do any of you guys have any ideas you would love to see in Haunted House attraction? Let me know, and I'll see if I can do a sketch of them for you!!
How about a working and modern looking swamp monster as what was in the old HH ride for this? Funny enough I have just finished completed the Alton Towers alternate history TL.

Actually, somewhat off topic from a haunted house theme but maybe try doing something with the X-Sell building into some sort of attraction ala Dark Mirror maze type attraction?

How about a working and modern looking swamp monster as what was in the old HH ride for this? Funny enough I have just finished completed the Alton Towers alternate history TL.

Actually, somewhat off topic from a haunted house theme but maybe try doing something with the X-Sell building into some sort of attraction ala Dark Mirror maze type attraction?
Which Swamp monster are you referring to? There's quite a few beings in the swamp finale, so it's a bit confusing to know which you mean.

Last edited:
That looks really good! Wish that it lasted longer in the real attraction.
Glad you really like it. It makes you think how the park would've modified it over the years and how different it would've looked. Well, it most certainly would be a lot more radical than what I've done surely.

Is there any ideas for a Ghost Train you'd like me to sketch out, like a new apparition, a monster, a set piece, etc?

Last edited:
Glad you really like it. It makes you think how the park would've modified it over the years and how different it would've looked. Well, it most certainly would be a lot more radical than what I've done surely.

Is there any ideas for a Ghost Train you'd like me to sketch out, like a new apparition, a monster, a set piece, etc?
This might be a bit different to other people's suggestions but I would quite like to see what the queue line would look like, considering that the HH/Duel's was a very important part of the experience.

This might be a bit different to other people's suggestions but I would quite like to see what the queue line would look like, considering that the HH/Duel's was a very important part of the experience.
I'm a bit confused sorry by what you mean. The outdoor queue, or the indoor queue like the vestibule and the Drawing Room? Please could you explain it a bit more?

I'm a bit confused sorry by what you mean. The outdoor queue, or the indoor queue like the vestibule and the Drawing Room? Please could you explain it a bit more?
Sorry I wasn't clear. I would quite like to see the indoor queue please because the one in the HH/Duel fascinates me.

Take your time! Wouldn't want you to rush it. 😃
Will do! Also, if I remember, you've got a thread about Theme Park books and what to get, we'll, here's a suggestion, try and get 'Smoke and Mirrors, The Haunted House Of Alton Towers', by Michael P Elay. It has some great insight and construction photos of the HH before opening, including this!

Attachments

• 20221230_230916.jpg
    20221230_230916.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 6
Will do! Also, if I remember, you've got a thread about Theme Park books and what to get, we'll, here's a suggestion, try and get 'Smoke and Mirrors, The Haunted House Of Alton Towers', by Michael P Elay. It has some great insight and construction photos of the HH before opening, including this!
It is an amazing book! Received it for Christmas and gave a very small review in the Theme Park books thread. (noticed you liked my comment in that thread 😁.)

It is an amazing book! Received it for Christmas and gave a very small review in the Theme Park books thread. (noticed you liked my comment in that thread 😁.)
You can't go wrong with that book. Really shows you the dedication the team behind the ride had and we'll thought out the attraction is!

Just to get this thread back on topic sorry, managed to do some more sketches from the blue! Any criticism to any individual one is Welcomed! Trying to improve with every one after another!

Attachments

• 20221230_233920.jpg
    20221230_233920.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221230_233949.jpg
    20221230_233949.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221230_233958.jpg
    20221230_233958.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221230_234030.jpg
    20221230_234030.jpg