• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Your Top Ranked U.K. Coasters

Since it looks like 2021 is likely to be another year where most of our coaster riding will be taking place in our home country (which for most people on here is the U.K.), I’d be keen to know what people’s top ranked U.K. coasters are (and why).

The travel restrictions have actually really reminded me that we do have some decent coasters here in the U.K., which for many years, I’ve overlooked in favour of ones abroad.

So for me, I’d say that the real standout coasters are:

Megafobia: A very fun and wild classic. It fits perfectly into it’s surroundings and doesn’t seem to have in any way deteriorated without age, as some woodies do.

Speed: Certainly not a popular choice like the latter of Oakwood’s coasters, but I’d say Speed is one of the best Gerstlauers I’ve ridden. Easily ahead of the likes of Saw and Smiler. A far less compact layout than your average Eurofighter and providing some fantastic airtime. It’s not to everyone’s taste, but I love this ride. And I’d love it even more if it got upgraded to include Karacho style restraints.

Stealth: Despite having ridden faster launches elsewhere, Stealth still has the edge over most other hydraulic launch coasters I’ve ridden. I’m not sure if it’s because of the faster acceleration (I’ve yet to try Do-Dodonpa), or if it’s something else but Stealth’s launch just has a real kick to it which many other launch coasters don’t have.

Roller Coaster (Great Yarmouth): Not one which you usually hear discussed in topics like this, but I’d say that this is a perfect example of what a Scenic Railway should be, and I feel it deserves far more credit than it gets. The only Scenic I’d rate above it is the one at Tivoli and, like Megafobia, it’s location really adds to the overall ride experience.

Pepsi Max Big One: I deliberately saved this one till the end because I knew a lot of people would simply stop reading if they saw that I rated the Big One along the same lines as Megafobia. But genuinely, I don’t understand all the hatred that this ride gets. Yes it’s by no means the best hyper I’ve ridden, but it’s also certainly not just a monorail. Airtime isn’t present on here, but I don’t see why that’s suck a big deal for so many people. The ride does lots of other cool things and I always come off smiling. It can often be pretty intense (weather permitting) especially on the back seats. It’s the closest we have to a decent hyper coaster in the U.K. and I think it does the job pretty well.

If Wild Mouse and The Ultimate still existed, I’ve no doubt that they’d be on my list too. I’m sorry to say that I don’t include Nemesis or Smiler on this list. I enjoy both of those rides but not to the extent that I enjoy the ones I’ve listed above.

Anyway, over to you. I’m keen to hear.

My current UK top 10 is as follows:
  1. Icon
  2. Wicker Man
  3. The Swarm
  4. Stealth
  5. Megafobia
  6. Rita
  7. Oblivion
  8. Nemesis Inferno
  9. Nemesis
  10. Galactica

U.K. Top 10

10/ Grand National
Classic woodie, just needs some TLC.
9/ Big One
It’s not quite Magnum XL but has a phenomenal first drop and still an iconic (not that one) U.K. coaster.
8/Wild Mouse (R.I.P)
One of the craziest yet remarkable rides to ever exist. I miss it greatly.
7/ Megafobia
I still have fond memories of this great woodie when I rode it.
6/ The Swarm
Decent B&M, the ride has aged beautifully, the theming not so much.
5/ Stealth
Awesome launch and views despite being a one trick pony.
4/ Nemesis Inferno
A coaster that’s become better with age and offers delightful night rides.
3/ Icon
Sure, the first launch leaves a little to be desired but as a package I think it’s great and fils in a gap Blackpool needed.
2/ Wickerman
Perhaps the best themed ride to hit this nation for almost 20 years. This is a masterpiece to an extent.
1/ Nemesis
The classic and one of the few U.K. attractions that would still excite people if it was built today. Nemesis has everything a thrill coaster needs.

1. The Smiler
2. Nemesis
3. Stealth
4. The Big One
5. The Swarm
6. Wicker Man
7. Oblivion
8. Galactica
9. Inferno
10. Icon

1. Nemesis
2. Icon
3. Wicker Man
4. Thirteen
5. Oblivion
6. Shockwave
7. Raptor Attack (RIP)
8. Cobra
9. Millennium
10. Revolution

(If I finally get back to Thorpe later this year my list will probably look very different as I'm yet to ride the big coasters)

Last edited:
1) Nemesis
2) Wickerman
3) Megafobia
4) The Big One
5) Oblivon
6) Smiler
7) Icon
8) The Swarm
9) Collosus
10) Saw: The ride.

Ultimate would be in between Megafobia and Big One but since it's now SBNO not sure I can include it.

RIP Wild Mouse.

And that's how you put people off having kids.
Where did u get that idea from?
I just said I not had a chance to go to other parks, When my daughter tall enough for Thorpe Park rides I will take her there.
My parents only took me and my sister to Drayton Manor,American Adventure,Alton Towers and West Midlands Safari Park.

I avoided top 10 format initially as I find that the U.K. has a lot of coasters which rank very closely to each other, making it hard to list them head to head. I’m glad to see that other lady find it easier than me to formulate a U.K. top 10 though.

Megafobia is, for me, the one standout coaster that we do have here in the U.K. and I’d definitely class that as my number one.

As for the others, not much really in it between them.

Agreed that Megafobia is probably now the best coaster in the UK, although I did / do rank The Ultimate ahead of it.

1. Megafobia
2. Nemesis Inferno
3. Stealth
4. Wicker Man
5. Nemesis
6. The Swarm
7. Dragon's Fury
8. Icon
9. Oblivion
10. Thirteen

A lot of these are interchangeable to be honest, not much difference in quality outside the top 5

Where did u get that idea from?
I just said I not had a chance to go to other parks, When my daughter tall enough for Thorpe Park rides I will take her there.
My parents only took me and my sister to Drayton Manor,American Adventure,Alton Towers and West Midlands Safari Park.

I was joking, but humour doesn't always come across over the Internet. I haven't got kids myself, but I've got six nieces and nephews, so I know that bringing up kids can be fun and rewarding. I wasn't trying to critique anyone's life choices. None of us would be alive if people didn't have kids.

I was joking, but humour doesn't always come across over the Internet. I haven't got kids myself, but I've got six nieces and nephews, so I know that bringing up kids can be fun and rewarding. I wasn't trying to critique anyone's life choices. None of us would be alive if people didn't have kids.
My kids are quite lucky I do take them to local theme parks as the friends I use to go with don’t take there kids to theme parks and they were more happy just to get a sitter to go the pubs (pre Covid)
My daughter hopefully will be 1.3m tall this year so 2-3 years time I take her to Thorpe as then it be money well spend.

My current Top 10 with my daughter would be

1) Wickerman
2) Thirteenth
3) Spin ball
4) Accelerator
5) Troublesome Trucks
6) Runaway Mine train
7) Buffalo coaster
8) log Rollercoaster (Gullivers Kingdom)
9) Octonauts coaster
10) Dino chase coaster but can’t remember what it was called before.

Last edited:
Here is what may seem like a bizarre top ten. (note - I have never visited Thorpe or Oakwood). If I was including past coasters then obviously Wild Mouse would be No.1

1. Big One - Blackpool - I know its badly designed and its all about the first drop. But I don't care, its big!!

2. Wickerman - Towers - Really fun coaster just a bit on the short side.

3. Nemesis (front row) - Towers - it's still got it. (but goes below icon if not on the front)

4. Icon - Blackpool - a real shame it wasn't that bit better but still a great ride, it just goes round in circles too much on the 2nd half.

5. Cobra - Paultons - this won't be in many peoples top 5 but I love it. And its about as close as you are going to get to a non spinning mouse in the uk.

6. Velocity - Flamingo land - the motorbike seating position gives the ride that bit extra.

7. Avalanche - Blackpool - another ride that I like because of its unusual seating and track, and unique to the UK.

8. Steeplechase - Blackpool - some hate it but its yet another unique ride type and the racing element adds to the fun.

9. Oblivion - Towers - great 1st (only drop). Far too short but the drop is great.

10. Rollercoaster - Great Yarmouth - coasters can be enjoyable without the thrills and this is a long relaxing coaster ride from a bygone age.

----------------

My favourite kids coaster....
Tub twist - Joyland - Great Yarmouth

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

1. Nemesis
2. Stealth
3. Icon
4. Oblivion
5. Wicker Man
6. Swarm
7. Grand National
8. Dragon's Fury
9. Th13teen
10. Flight of the Pterosaur

Not actually that bad of a list, but compared to my German top 10

1. Taron
2. Karnan
3. Wodan
4. F.L.Y
5. Expedition GeForce
6. Colossos
7. Silver Star
8. Blue Fire
9. Black Mamba
10. Fluch Von Nogorod

You can tell the UK is lacking a bit compared to our German counterparts.

1 Nemesis - Big gap - for me, it's not even close. Feel a little sorry for inferno, which would be higher on my list if not for its brother showing what a B and M Invert can do.

2 Smiler - intimidating, good length, plenty of action, recording breaking with a surprisingly great airtime moment. To me, it's not rough.

3 Icon - Does nearly everything well, but little great. Love the first drop after the launch.

4 Grand national - childhood favourite, still love it, great airtime - fantastic sense of oneupmanship if and when you can gloat at the rival train. Rough is good.

5 Odyssey - SLC on a grand scale... Great height, good drops, quick turns and good length. Not as rough as they say.

6 Wicker Man. How did JW get so much out of such a small drop? Great atmosphere, good preshow if we can use it, fantastic pacing, feels much faster than it is.

7 Thirteen - Underated... Not scary, but great fun, thrills for the fun seekers and fun for the thrill seekers.

8 The Swarm - B and M smoothness, looks intimidating, but not really. Love the near misses.Wish it were longer.

9 Oblivion - A one drop wonder done fantastically well ( alas not maintained fantastically well). That drop never gets old. Doesn't need anything else.

10 Galactica - It's always air to me. Good riddance VR. You fly like Superman, what's not to like.

Whilst I love some of the allegedly roughest coasters, Hero is a step too far for me.

Love this forum, but been a watcher not a poster for a while as had a few issues. Look forward to contributing again here and there.

1. Nemesis
(Wild Mouse)
(The Ultimate)
2. Wicker Man
3. The Smiler
4. Grand National
5. The Swarm
6. Revolution
7. Dragon's Fury
8. Spinball
9. SAW
10. Ninferno