• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Zoos & Captivity

Harv

TS Member
After a little disagreement in the Seaworld topic concerning the keeping of whales at theme parks, I decided to set up a topic for discussing the debate around zoos and captivity.

Do you believe, generally, that it is right for animals to be kept in captivity? Does it vastly depend on the circumstances that the animals are kept in, or are you flat out for/opposed to the idea of zoos/captive conservation?

I personally believe that animals, particularly of an endangered or injured status, should be kept in a form of captivity where they stand a greater chance of survival than they would in the wild. Whilst I do not believe this should always be utilized for human purposes, the idea that we can see wild animals in a zoo, where they are well tended to, is one that I support; I feel as a human it is of maximum importance that we protect the species that are in danger of extinction.

What are you views?

I don't mind animals being kept in captivity, as long as their environment is comfortable and they have the room required to live a happy life.

I'm all for zoos / safari parks which are there to look after rescued animals (they usually release them if the animal is in a suitable enough condition), animals born in captivity (and therefore usually aren't able to go back to the wild) and to safeguard rare and /or endangered species by breeding them.

Zoos and safari parks which look after animals in the correct manner (give them suitable enclosures and the correct food, medicine, etc...) are all fine with me. They're also a great means of educating people as well.

Not all zoos and safari parks are like this, but one day, hopefully they will be.

Suppose it's the popular opinion, really. Keeping animals in captivity is fine if the animals are happy and healthy in their environment.
It's keeping certain animals as pets that is more controversial. Keeping a monkey in a shed is just cruel.

But if it wasn't for breeding programs and zoos, you'd be wondering how on earth these things aren't extinct yet.
bzcePjV.gif

My view is that if the animals are kept in safe, comfortable enclosures then Zoos/Safari Parks are a good thing, as not only does it gives animals a safer living environment than being out in the wild and provides them with access to healthcare, but it then has the economic and educational benefits for society.

Though I'm definitely against zoos that mistreat animals or keep them in unfit enclosures.