• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012 US Election

Who do you want to win the US Election tomorrow?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Other (Gary Johnson, Vermin Supreme etc)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
Sam said:
As a straight guy, the difference between the two candidates might not be that great. But for LGBT people, there is a clear gulf between these two men. If their foreign policy is similar, Obama's policies and beliefs on gay rights are radically more progressive than Romney's. Even if it makes little difference to straight people, LGBT people worldwide breathed a massive sigh of relief last night. :)

Exactly.

Despite the USA being behind most of Europe when it comes to LGBT rights, for them to take such positive steps, with a president who has finally allowed LGB people to serve in the military (trans people are still banned) and has so openly supported same sex marriage is a huge deal.

The end of Obama's speech, where he specifically mentioned gay people, certainly felt like a historic moment.

While I accept you can be happy for the American people, his election will have no effect on society or anything else here in the UK.

America is in fact around 50 years behind Europe in many things. The whole 'god bless America' thing is like a throwback to the Cold War.

Nick said:
And, to be honest, I'm sure that if someone you loved had been killed by a terrorist attack, you wouldn't be so sure to give them a fair trial- if it risks letting them go free, when it's clear they are guilty.
Personal feelings and what is right are two different things. Just because I'd want them to not get a fair trial wouldn't make it right.

Nick said:
And also, I'm not suggesting there wouldn't be a trial, I would be suggesting that the terrorist would not be able to have a say in it. There would have to be a court to judge whether they are guilty or not, dependent on the evidence given.
That's not exactly a trial though, is it?

All killing them with drone strikes does is score political points "look how many bad guys are dead because of me".

Sam said:
Meat Pie said:
Rejoice... They picked the lesser of two evils.

I feel so much safer with the man who has a secret kill list of people he wants to dispose of. ::)

As a straight guy, the difference between the two candidates might not be that great. But for LGBT people, there is a clear gulf between these two men. If their foreign policy is similar, Obama's policies and beliefs on gay rights are radically more progressive than Romney's. Even if it makes little difference to straight people, LGBT people worldwide breathed a massive sigh of relief last night. :)

I can totally understand that, but I'm exhausted of the masses of people claiming to sigh in relief about Obama's win, when in most respects he is hardly any different. It's brilliant that he is supportive of gay people and It's one of the few aspects of his policy that is genuinely admirable.

I think a lot of people need to put it into perspective and recognise that the Democrats winning isn't some great freedom supporting and left wing force defeating the Republicans. It's more like the Conservative party beating UKIP to the winners seat. The lesser of two evils but not exactly something to celebrate or feel relieved about.

As for Nick defending state sponsored murder - I think the idea that a government could preside over an individual's right to live is very scary. Actually it's the foundation for a fascist state. They are not even trying to arrest these individuals, the order is just bomb to kill and that's just assassination which is an abhorrent idea, even if it didn't hurt hundreds of innocent victims.

The U.S.A. is a terrorist state, but I don't call for Obama to be gunned down.

It always amazes me how self-centred a lot of Americans can be. The attitude can be summed up as "if you can't afford food/healthcare/whatever then it's your own fault as America is the land of opportunity. Why should my taxes go towards people who are too lazy to sort things out for themselves?"

The fact that people still hold that mindset today is utterly sickening.