• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014: General Discussion

That price tag appears to be a little optimistic.

I would say more Conservative, than optimistic. The planters alone would be over £100 each (even with a Bulk discount) - there is 10 (in the picture), so yes, in the £1,000's for sure.

It does actually look like they have thought about it, I see trailing ivy planted at the backs of the planters for example.

When you say "this could have been pulled off in a much more attractive and appealing manner" is completely suggestive and as much as this is in-arguable, it is certainly not a fact.

Furthermore as Tom has said, they're been halfheartedly scattered down the bridge with no thought gone into their placement. There are many ways this could have been pulled off in a much more attractive and appealing manner (draping vines over the bridge rails would be a nice start). If anything, I feel this addition has become more abtrusive than the fence for all the wrong reasons, and that isn't a good thing.
Are they not at regular intervals like you suggested? (it looks to me like they are evenly spaced?)There is no other way to grow on concrete slabs other than planters, unfortunately.

I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining, but it strikes me as a very last minute and weak thought from someone. If they're going to make the bridge more attractive, then stick flowers at regular intervals on the fence and then drape the bridge with vines and a display that has had thought and careful planning put into it.

I can't understand why this would be 'last minute' anyway, last minute before what? Another swarm of angry enthusiasts turn up at guest services demanding their money back due to the lack of 'bridge decoration'?

My last point, is a horticulturalist would never make a final judgement a freshly planted and un-established arrangement. For all you know these could (and probably will be) stunning floral & leaf displays come July 2015.

Are they not at regular intervals like you suggested? (it looks to me like they are evenly spaced?)There is no other way to grow on concrete slabs other than planters, unfortunately.

Perspective can sometimes be one's worst enemy, but I'm fairly confident the distance between the first planter in the foreground is closer to the second one, than the distance between the second and third. To some extent, some of the planters are located further back to the bridge wall whilst some are placed more so towards the pathway. You could argue this looks messy, particularly as the planters are quite bulky and there is nothing decorative in between to create a pleasant transition between the placements.

I can't understand why this would be 'last minute' anyway, last minute before what? Another swarm of angry enthusiasts turn up at guest services demanding their money back due to the lack of 'bridge decoration'?

It was merely a comparison to a last minute decision that I was suggesting, as opposed to something deeply thought about. Hardly any time would have been invested into "let's stick some planters on the bridge to keep the geeks happy" as opposed to actually coming up with a plan to genuinely make the display look attractive. Look at the Gardens opposite. Obviously we can never expect anything of that standard, but this display almost makes a mockery of the time and effort invested into them many years ago.

My last point, is a horticulturalist would never make a final judgement a freshly planted and un-established arrangement. For all you know these could (and probably will be) stunning floral & leaf displays come July 2015.

Which is something we would all be incredibly thrilled and over the moon to see, but I stopped having high expectations a very long time ago.

I still hate the fence, and as it's clear it isn't going anywhere soon, I think the display is an improvement compared to what it was (sorry dear).

Granted, it could be done better, but this is Merlin we are talking about.

Perspective can sometimes be one's worst enemy, but I'm fairly confident the distance between the first planter in the foreground is closer to the second one, than the distance between the second and third. To some extent, some of the planters are located further back to the bridge wall whilst some are placed more so towards the pathway. You could argue this looks messy, particularly as the planters are quite bulky and there is nothing decorative in between to create a pleasant transition between the placements.
Yes, at a closer look I see your point, although uniform placement isn't always as attractive... :p
It was merely a comparison to a last minute decision that I was suggesting, as opposed to something deeply thought about. Hardly any time would have been invested into "let's stick some planters on the bridge to keep the geeks happy" as opposed to actually coming up with a plan to genuinely make the display look attractive. Look at the Gardens opposite. Obviously we can never expect anything of that standard, but this display almost makes a mockery of the time and effort invested into them many years ago.
However, I do have to disagree on this. It certainly does not make a mockery of the original structure. In-fact quite the opposite; the footfall was damaging the bridge, a fence prevents further damage & the planters draw attention to what was (to most people) just a few slabs of concrete, but upon a closer look, might now be appreciated for what a spectacle it truly is.
Which is something we would all be incredibly thrilled and over the moon to see, but I stopped having high expectations a very long time ago.
It is a fact that established plants produce a much fuller & attractive display of colour and foliage, not wild speculation on my part.

Another swarm of angry enthusiasts turn up at guest services demanding their money back due to the lack of 'bridge decoration'?

Sorry, that actually made me laugh, I can see a bunch of TST-ers showing up at guest services doing just that!

[/off-topic]

Yes, at a closer look I see your point, although uniform placement isn't always as attractive... :p

However, I do have to disagree on this. It certainly does not make a mockery of the original structure. In-fact quite the opposite; the footfall was damaging the bridge, a fence prevents further damage & the planters draw attention to what was (to most people) just a few slabs of concrete, but upon a closer look, might now be appreciated for what a spectacle it truly is.

It is a fact that established plants produce a much fuller & attractive display of colour and foliage, not wild speculation on my part.

I was referring to the Gardens being made a mockery of, not the actual bridge. But following on from what you said about the attention being drawn, I still believe they look out of place and are having the attention drawn to the bridge for all the wrong reasons. All I can ultimately hope for is an expanded display that does look attractive and finally gives the fence a purpose, but I'm on the fence about that for now ;)

Indeed, they had a few of those planters in the farm before CBeebies Land came along.

:)

They do look out of place in my opinion. Unfortunately just plonking some pots along it does not really improve the situation, plus the placement of them is making my OCD surface too haha.

They can put what they want there. Still doesn't detract from the fact there's a big ugly fence surrounding the walkway and it looks out of place.

I still dream and hope there will be plans one day to restore the steps and open them back up. English Heritage would hardly go against that.

Christ...

They fenced it off and in order to make it look a bit less boring they've chucked some plants there. They look alright and it's nice to see something put out for decoration rather than profit.

Must we all overanalyse and moan about everything?

Must we all overanalyse and moan about everything?

Haha, welllll the little things do make a difference :) It just looks strange and out of place, which is a shame because of how nice the area was before the fence fiasco haha!

But yes I think I soon will have filled my moan quota for the day haha.

These fences where forced upon them by an external force so I suppose they have used a cheap solution to improve the aesthetic. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I took the photo ill give some thoughts :p

They are all new planters, as the wood looks brand new, and they don't look too bad in person, adds a bit of colour to the otherwise boring bridge.

They are mainly evenly spaced out, but some of them aren't, especially the ones towards the towers, with two right near each other!

I'd hope whoever put them in doesn't read these forums, otherwise it'd stop them from ever doing anything non-profit related and for the benefit of guests again.

It's another one of those.. see it in person and it looks fine things. Stupid moaners.

To be honest there must little to moan about if and only if the biggest concern is that they have put some plants on a bridge behind a fence. What next grass on lawn too long? Frog fountain too green?

Lets be honest its not a crime that they are there, or the fence. rather see them then a chav from Bolton on it.