• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2014 Resolutions Topic

Rob said:
Go back to Europa Park! ;)

This is another of mine...well, to go on my first visit to Europa Park!

I've found the list I made the other day, of things I want to achieve this year. They include going to more parks, cooking more and wearing my braces so I can finish my dental treatment...

*slinks sheepishly off to the bathroom to put braces in*

1) Single handedly end excessive socio-economic disparity and bring down the capitalist tyranny in this country.

2) Be less ambitious.

3) Make it more obvious when I'm being tongue in cheek.

I don't tend to post often on topics like this however this year I have three resolutions that all link in together and I believe writing them down may give me more of a kick up the arse to follow through with them. Anyway, they are as follows:

1) Lose another two stone by the end of April and then continue with my weight loss. This is, obviously, for my health and the fact that last year I went on a health binge where I managed to drop two stone in two and a half months before I went on a trip to Germany so I'd like to continue to build on this. However, the other reason for this, and the somewhat main reason, is so I can...

2) Have surf lessons and buy my first board! This is something I've wanted to do for years and years and I was bought a lesson at the Flow House in Castleford for Christmas so I'm hoping this will get me even more hooked. However, living 40+ miles from the nearest sea and 100+ miles from the nearest decent break I will need a car. And to have a car I will need to...

3) Pass my test. Obviously a major reason for this is due to the above. However I really do need to pass. I'd love to be able to drive myself to work without relying on my boss etc. and also the ability to just jump in my car and go wherever the feeling takes me without any restrictions is something that I'd love to be able to do. That and I'm now onto my 3rd instructor aged 23 :p

I feel really focused and driven to achieve these and I think writing these down will only help. Goals ftw :)

Try and get my mental health better, or at least keep it at the level it is now.

Mine are to:

Pass my AAT level 4 qualification: So I can either negotiate better pay where I am or to find somewhere where the pay is better.

Learn to Save: After clearing my credit card and learning how to budget I want to save a nice chunk of cash to go to IMATS in London and then save for a Florida trip.

Loose the weight again: My mum is on weight watchers which is what I was on before and has gone from a 14/16 down to a 10/12 and it's making me want to get back on the horse, but this will mean I will have to....

Cook more from scratch: I don't eat too badly whilst at home, it's just when I venture away from home with the other half we tend to just eat rubbish and along with me not doing the Sunday walk around Towers at this time of year has contributed to the weight gain.

Start Blogging again: I need a poke after stopping whilst I got something's sorted (those who know me personally will know what I'm on about), if anybody wants a specific tutorial on how to do a certain look or a cosmetic product review just PM me as I'm always open to suggestions. I can also keep a weight loss diary and post recipes if people want?

And last is to make my own luck and opportunities: I have realised that if you sit doing nothing and not pushing yourself to make the changes to things in life that annoy you or make you unhappy, no one else is going to do it for you and you will just stand still never moving forward. I would also like to be healthier physically, mentally and financially by the end of the year and I wish that to everyone I meet this year.

I've only got one resolution this year, I thought I'd keep it short and sweet! That Resolution is to
HAVE FUN!

A few weeks in now, and I have made good progress of some, not so good progress on others.

I have started running every other day, need to make sure I go this evening. Been running for about 30 minutes, problem I have is that I live on top of a hill, so the first half is all down hill, which is nice and easy, but the last part is up hill, which has meant that last 5/10 minutes has been walked back. Managed to run a little bit further each time, and going to try and keep it up until I can run the full 30 minutes before making it a longer route.

Budget wise has been an interesting one. Actually making a budget, and deciding what I am going to spend my money on in advance has been an eye opener. It was shocking how much money we spend eating out or on takeaways, but putting a limit in place for the month has meant we have thought more about eating out, or ordering something, than we normally would. Its also a nice change to look at the budget, when deciding if I have any money to spend, rather than the balance sheet.

Learning German has been the one I have failed at the most, I need to make a bit more effort to try and spend 30 minutes doing some learning each day.

Ian

Nice reflective post Ian - equally good to see someone sticking to a resolution past Jan 2nd ;)

My learning French resolution is waining... I've probably only been on Duolingo about 3 times since the start of the month. Need to get myself into gear!

I started on the 6th, first day back at work after been off, so seemed like a good time to do it.

The hardest thing is keeping motivated, even when you weigh less, something seems to make me go for the chocolate in the fridge, or adding two handfuls of cheese instead of one.

I will try and update once a month, just to try and keep myself motivated.

Ian

Sorry for the double post first :)

9 days on from my last post, and it is also 9 days since my last run. Last couple of days I have eaten far to much rubbish as well, but luckily I have only put half a pound on since I last weighed myself.

Also wasted to much money on computer games I will never play as well, its annoying as it was an impulse buy, and if I could go back I would not do it. In an attempt to make it a little harder, I have removed my card details from the on-line shop so its no longer a case of a couple of clicks, and the money has gone.

And finally, not done any German learning. No excuses for this, as the amount of time I waste on Facebook, I could easily find half an hour to do it.

So not a great 9 days, but they are in the past, I am not going to let it get me down, and I am going to try again, and get back in to some good habits.

Ian

An update on mine :)

So far I am half a stone down from where I've started! However this week has been terrible so I expect to have put at least 1/2lbs back on. Silly me! I have also booked my driving test for a few weeks time so I'm getting there. Slowly, slowly but surely :)

Well Done Liam

I have failed a lot with my weight loss. Just eating far to much, using it as a distraction tactic, and just picking the wrong foods when eating out. Not been for a run in nearly a month, either, will try and put that right tonight.

Learning German has also taken a back seat, need to just find 30 minutes every couple of days to practice. I would say trying to find the time is difficult, but I am sure I waste more than 30 minutes on Facebook, so its just me choosing the easy option.

Money wise, things are a lot better. Having a budget is a great way to help me track what and where I am spending my money. I have spent a little more than I planned on some things, but I am getting better. I have also got rid of my overdraft. No longer does the bank tell me I have more available to spend, than the actual money I have.

Ian

Good effort on the money front Ian, well done! I find budgeting really hard and I'm generally crap with money! The weight/fitness thing I've found is a big mental thing for me. Once I had got those first 2/3 sessions out the way, I found sticking to it a lot easier and enjoyed it more. I'm sure that once you start it will be easy to keep it going :)

An update on my points -

I passed my driving test first time with just ONE minor. I was so relieved!! Now I just need a car! So that's one of my three points down by the end of February :D