2015: Alton Towers Enchanted Village

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ian, 6th Mar 2014.

1. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    From TowersStreet News

Fantastic news! It may be a little smaller than the original application, but any expansion to the resort side of Alton, no matter how big or small, is always a bonus :)

For those of you not quite up to speed you can read more on the history of this development in our Planning Portal Archives.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  2. James

James TS Founding Member

Re: Resort Lodge Development

Brilliant news! Sure it's smaller although the resort side of things is in dire need of more accommodation!

Just looking through the application. The location is different for these lodges, right next to ATH:

[​IMG]

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  3. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance

Good news, glad that they have re-visited the idea! They are indeed now planned to be next to ATH. That would probably have been the ideal location for a third hotel but I'm guessing that's not even a consideration at the minute.

Fingers crossed this actually happens now!

EDIT:

The plan also show some details of a Spa expansion, stating that this will be dealt with in a separate planning application.

Car parking for the lodges will be Car Park J and a seperate application will also deal with an extension to the current hotel car parking. It calls this "hotel extension approved parking". Hopefully more will become clear once I've seen more of the documents!

:)

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3

Well, I'm surprised, but glad that this has been resubmitted. Yes, it's going to be smaller than originally planned, but that offers potential room for expansion in the future if these prove to be popular enough with guests.

Does anyone have a link to the application info? I've tried looking through Staffs Moorlands' Planning Portal, but it's not come up with anything.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  5. James

James TS Founding Member

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  6. Jonathan

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3

Oops - turns out I was looking at applications from Alton parish instead of Farley. :p

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  7. Johno

Johno TowersStreet Member

"The lodges and development have been themed to reflect a traditional lodge of children’s fairy tales. Therefore the materials proposed will include a blend of natural materials and an element of rustic influences. Specifically, the materials will include a timber shingle roof, timber doors and windows, stonework walls and uneven timber barge boards. The lodges will also benefit from a feature chimney and timber fencing around the covered terraces that will create the entrance area for each lodge. The restaurant and service buildings will consist of similar materials to be in-keeping with the ‘fairy tale’ theme."

I imagine - 'Welcome to Shrek's Fairytale Village - only at Alton Towers Resort'

Also it appears wayyyy more generic than the previous planning application.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  8. GAGrathea

GAGrathea TS Founding Member

Well excited for hot tubs! HOT TUBS! :D

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  9. IanB

IanB TowersStreet Member

I just can't help but feel disappointed. Compared to the original plans, and considering the amount of land this is going to occupy, I just feel like there could of been a lot more done with it.

The amount of land this will occupy is more than Splash and ATH combined, and yet it is creating 345 less rooms.

I just think another "proper" hotel could of been built in this space with an evening entertainment complex that would of significantly increased the number of rooms available, increased the restaurant capacity, and increased the evening entertainment available on the resort.

Ian

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  10. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance

I wouldn't worry about this taking up potential space for an entertainments complex in the future. Any entertainments complex will end up on the Air car park. It does make me wonder where they'd build a third hotel if they ever wanted one. Though as I've said I'm guessing that a third hotel isn't even on their minds at the moment.

EDIT:

Here are some further details from the application regarding operational assumptions of the development:

The treehouses look really good! I'd imagine that they will be rather expensive though. Overall I think it looks very similar to the inital application, just in a different application and on a slightly different scale. "The Holes" no longer seem to be included but I think the treehouses look better than these did!

:)

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  11. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

but each lodge will have a higher capacity than a hotel room, some tree houses have 4 bedrooms. Also they will be able be able to charge a huge premium for these as they are nicer self contained accommodation. which means although it takes up more land the number of people sleeping is higher than hotel rooms and the income is higher.

Plus it looks nicer than another big box!

There is a restaurant planned to service these lodges and they look like there will be some basic catering facilities in the tree houses at least for people to heat their own food. So catering capacity will be increased. Any entertainment/restaurants aimed at day guests would go next to ExtraOrdinary Golf I think.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  12. Jonathan

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3

Just had a look at the first document on the list - '373-85-1 ATR Key Plan' - and I couldn't help but notice that in X-Sector, they've still got the shape of the Black Hole tent marked out. :p

In all seriousness, I've looked through a few of the documents so far, and I'm impressed. If this goes ahead, then it looks like it'll be a solid addition to the resort, and could help give more demand for an entertainments complex on the resort in the future.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  13. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis

Bit disappointed to be honest. The location they've chosen was going to be for the 3rd hotel which I've always found to be more exciting than log cabins. The first set of plans looked badly put together, this looks even worse.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  14. James

James TS Founding Member

The only negative I will point out is no extension on entertainments. This is one opportunity to add a new ents venue and they seem to be missing it.

Towers should know that the hotels get unbearable at peak times - this was one chance to open up something new to ease the stress off both hotels at night. Even something as simple as a stage inside the restaurant would be a good thing. Maybe offer a meal and a show. Or from Xpm just guests can enter to watch shows without a meal.

If there is no form of ents I can see it not being long until a stage gets shoe-horned into the restaurant.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  15. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I think they are aiming these more at families who won't want the entertainment in the evenings, they would rather retire back to the lodge in the evening hence the sofa areas in them and the outdoor verandas, you will have more of your own space compared to the existing hotel. There will also be outdoor play areas for kids.

Basically if you want the noise and entertainment, stay in the hotel, if you want space and quiet stay at the lodges.

I think Alton has seen the success the The Raddle Inn (http://logcabin.co.uk/) has had and are trying to copy with a higher quality (and therefore more expensive) cabin.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  16. James

James TS Founding Member

I disagree slightly. You can still get peace and quiet and also have entertainment. Just like any other camp site type accommodation. I bet if this is built we will see a foot flow of guests going to the hotels for entertainment.

Maybe I'm wrong and it will work just fine. I just think for a place like Towers people expect more.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  17. James

James TS Founding Member

On some of the documents they have Duel as "Haunted House" and The Smiler area as "New rollercoaster to open 2013". :p

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  18. Jonathan

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3

Nice to see they're keeping things up to date, then!

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  19. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

I'm glad they've submitted plans again. I like the look of this development.

Posted 6th Mar 2014
  20. Johno

Johno TowersStreet Member

Can I clarify - I was struggling to find site elevations, but it doesn't appear that these will be the same style as previously?

Ah ok, apologies. So the lodges have interesting roofs, but lack the Hobbit esque location under a hill, still with round doors and 'crookidy witches hat roof' from the elevation.

Posted 6th Mar 2014