• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Not sure which setting ripsaw was on the other day but it wasn't that good. 2 and 1/2 flyover and 1 unlocked flip.

Edit: setting 7.

I don't usually post on forums (just read) however today I was at Alton Towers. In total, me and my friend managed 21 rides (with nemesis being the last ride which I thought was rather fitting, what an amazing ride it truly is)

However, I did think that reliability was somewhat an issue today (which isn't usually the case). Rita was down for the majority of the day, oblivion was down in the morning, air had a few hissy fits, thi13een was down at one point. And these weren't the standard short downtimes that you expect, some of these were down for long periods of time.

Whilst I acknowledge that these things happen, with sub-terra down all day and smiler closed for obvious reasons (which really looks in a sorry state!) it really makes me think that prehaps the park should seriously look at reducing the entrance price, as I believe that it is just too high right now considering the circumstances, and it's not going to draw more people into the park. Yes I got onto 21 rides and certainly got my money's worth, but I have visited the park many times over the past few years and know my way round. And whilst the downtime didn't really ruin the experience for me (and it was somewhat entertaining to see poor old Jon the ride op cause a ride evac due to illness whilst I was in the front row queue for rita) I feel as if it would perhaps leave a sour taste to anyone who were perhaps on their first visit to the park, and give them the impression that they were not getting 'value for money'.

All this aside, I had an incredible day. I am seriously considering buying a MAP in the near future. I am very interested to see what will happen to the smiler, as for a 2 year old ride it looks very worn and tired.

Last edited:
I don't usually post on forums (just read) however today I was at Alton Towers. In total, me and my friend managed 21 rides (with nemesis being the last ride which I thought was rather fitting, what an amazing ride it truly is)

However, I did think that reliability was somewhat an issue today (which isn't usually the case). Rita was down for the majority of the day, oblivion was down in the morning, air had a few hissy fits, thi13een was down at one point. And these weren't the standard short downtimes that you expect, some of these were down for long periods of time.

Whilst I acknowledge that these things happen, with sub-terra down all day and smiler closed for obvious reasons (which really looks in a sorry state!) it really makes me think that prehaps the park should seriously look at reducing the entrance price, as I believe that it is just too high right now considering the circumstances, and it's not going to draw more people into the park. Yes I got onto 21 rides and certainly got my money's worth, but I have visited the park many times over the past few years and know my way round. And whilst the downtime didn't really ruin the experience for me (and it was somewhat entertaining to see poor old Jon the ride op cause a ride evac due to illness whilst I was in the front row queue for rita) I feel as if it would perhaps leave a sour taste to anyone who were perhaps on their first visit to the park, and give them the impression that they were not getting 'value for money'.

All this aside, I had an incredible day. I am seriously considering buying a MAP in the near future. I am very interested to see what will happen to the smiler, as for a 2 year old ride it looks very worn and tired.
Lol I think you were the guy I was talking to and if so you bottled out of holding up your arms! I hope poor Jon is ok, I was worried about him

Lol I think you were the guy I was talking to and if so you bottled out of holding up your arms! I hope poor Jon is ok, I was worried about him

Haha yes it was me! Gonna have to do it now the next time i'm on park! :p I would've done it today after my friend wouldn't let me live it down however after going to ride oblivion many times we returned to see rita being the good ol' unreliable machine she is (broken).

To begin with he was at the ride entrance stopping people from joining the queue as the ride was down, and i think he was stung by a wasp as when he returned to the station once the ride was back up there was a sly joke over the tannoy about Jon needing a plaster. Then a few minutes later the ride ops stop checking restraints and all fly over to Jon. I think he may have felt faint? Couldn't tell but was it was all a bit dramatic :p

To begin with he was at the ride entrance stopping people from joining the queue as the ride was down, and i think he was stung by a wasp as when he returned to the station once the ride was back up there was a sly joke over the tannoy about Jon needing a plaster. Then a few minutes later the ride ops stop checking restraints and all fly over to Jon. I think he may have felt faint? Couldn't tell but was it was all a bit dramatic :p
My goodness what a day. Glad you enjoyed it!

#JohnGate

Ride reliability has been a bigger issue than usual this season at Towers. Normally the standards are very high and you'd be unlucky if a ride went down during the day - Towers was by far the best park in the UK for this. However this season rides seem to have been going down left right and centre.

On my last three visits Rita has gone down each time I have been in the queue. I have seen Thirteen down quite a bit as well. Sub-Terra was down for ages for its 'upgrades' and seems to be going down quite a lot since then. As we know both Ripsaw and Enterprise were down for a good few weeks.

I can only assume that there have been budget cuts in the technical services department this season.

:)

The smiler (obvious reasons), enterprise and ripsaw (both old) I understand closing. Sub terra as well if the restraints were uncomfortable, but they're not (I normally fly up in my seat with the regular lap bars). I know the rides are subject to availability, and they often go down for 10/20 minutes, but this is hours and days. Something that annoyed me when I went last Wednesday was that near the end of the day, the smiler and enterprise had been down all day, and oblivion broke down. Staff on the enterence at each ride, but why not just have someone on the enterence of x-sector to say all rides are down

Was there on Saturday - was amazed at how quiet the park was. Longest queue we did all day was 10 minutes for Rita. Had a great day, the weather was gorgeous. Sad to see the place so quiet, but I guess from a guest point of view, great because you hardly have to queue for anything. Infact, I think there were more wasps there than guests!

Was at the park yesterday (Sunday) and had a good day. Although reliability is questionable currently. With Nemesis Sub Terra being down all day (same with Saturday and I think all of Friday), Rita and Th13teen having long periods of downtime (of which I was in Th13teens queue and got giving Priority Pass for ride of 1.2 or below), Ripsaw being down for a short period and I heard Oblivon was down for some time in the morning too.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.