• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Gothic Prospect Tower Restoration

You don't waste any bloody time do you Danny, even beat me to posting (and I did the update!) :D

Really looking forward to seeing some work done on this though. It's been in a sorry state for a long time, and to see the colour and paintwork restored along with the ironwork it should look amazing :).

Courtesy of TowersStreets Facebook, the tower is now snug and cosy under scaffolding as its restoration begins.

11068229_839955702741542_4027174285443374512_n.jpg

Last edited:
I see they just say managed to squeeze that scaffolding in front of the tree. Looks like they had to bend a few branches to make it fit.

What is it with Towers being such an overgrown mess these days/years? They don't seem to believe in clipping back hedges, bushes and trees nowadays.

Worst I've seen is still Katanga Canyon where you cannot even see the crashed Jeep any more, it's covered in weeds, bushes and a tree which didn't exist there about 5-6 years ago. It was once just grass.

Did Merlin slash the budgets for the gardening department when they took over?

Are you joking? AT have cut that many trees down or seriously pruned them its unreal.

A few photos have been posted of them cutting back trees near the bridge/lake.

Are you joking? AT have cut that many trees down or seriously pruned them its unreal.

I would expect the serious work where trees are completely cut down would be done by a contractor coming in, not by the gardening team employed by Alton Towers.

I think its more about general area landscaping across the park like bushes, ivy and small trees that are just left to grow out of control and make the park look messy and neglected.

I know they have had a big push at removing some invasive plants this closed season, dunno if that has taken up most resources?

Is there an update to this project at all? I think I remeber seeing the Tower covered in scaffolding in a previous visit, just curious if anyone knows how the restoration is going or when it is likely to finish.

Thanks

It's still covered in scaffolding I believe. Last time I popped my head through the fence, the bottom segment looked ready for painting. They're definitely taking their time with it.

I've been trying to have a peek through the fence/coverings on occasional visits. There are people working on it frequently and recently I've noticed painting of the railings on the different levels. Also work on the glass in the dome seems to have been done to some degree. A fair bit seems to have been done but it's hard to see exactly what because it's well covered. I've been hoping to catch one of the workmen outside the working area to cheekily ask if they'd mind taking a few photo's inside but havn't caught one as of yet :)

I have a few photo's through the cracks in the fence etc but nothing too exciting.

Good to read progress is being made. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing it completed, I guess it will be next season at some point.

They are certainly working on it, most times I go past you can hear workmen. However I imagine something like this takes a long time as with most restoration.

Will be nice to see it once it's done as it was a right state recently. I guess it will be done for next season.