• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2015: Gothic Prospect Tower Restoration

I've been trying to have a peek through the fence/coverings on occasional visits. There are people working on it frequently and recently I've noticed painting of the railings on the different levels. Also work on the glass in the dome seems to have been done to some degree. A fair bit seems to have been done but it's hard to see exactly what because it's well covered. I've been hoping to catch one of the workmen outside the working area to cheekily ask if they'd mind taking a few photo's inside but havn't caught one as of yet :)

I have a few photo's through the cracks in the fence etc but nothing too exciting.
There is a local photographer that I occasionally talk to that goes to Leek most Sundays who is doing the official photography of the restoration work, but I seem to have misplaced his business card.

Forgot to post about this or even take some snaps (doing so through a dirty Skyride window is not justifiable for this subject), but the new roof has been installed and it looks grand :)

As posted by TowersStreet on Twitter:

CbmQ1bPUAAA4PD6.jpg

Looking pretty grand! I can't wait to see the efforts in person next month. I desperately want to see a better angle of the finished roof.

Sterling job, I hope it's properly looked after going forward though

Last edited:
Didn't the original plans have it painted red on some areas too?

Looks brilliant nonetheless!

More than some areas:

FoFqv5x.png

I don't think I've been too keen when the tower has been painted red, however some additional colour trimming wouldn't have gone amiss. That said, I think the glass roof panels are also slightly different compared to what was proposed, and they've turned out much better.

anyone for it being fenced off and inaccessible to the public :(
Just something nice to look at
No, I'm pretty sure there were some plans to open it up so that guests can go inside and to the top of the tower... But I guess that'd be a health and safety nightmare and DANGER OF DEATH signs would be plastered all over the shop. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not sure whether it will come to fruition or not.

It looks really good. I do wonder how long it will be before graffiti appears on from the less respectful guests.

They have to fence this off really. It will have cost a fortune to get the work done. They fenced off Le Refuge when they had the statue in the Bath Fountain restored last year, and that wouldn't have cost anywhere near as much as this. I believe there should be a way for people to get access to it, and even to go up it on some occasions, but to leave it freely open at all times to people in today's world is just asking for trouble.

Also, I think they've done a decent job and it looks loads better than it has for decades. I think I would have liked to see a bit of red colour too though. I really like the railings. I look forward to viewing it in person :)

They have to fence this off really. It will have cost a fortune to get the work done. They fenced off Le Refuge when they had the statue in the Bath Fountain restored last year, and that wouldn't have cost anywhere near as much as this. I believe there should be a way for people to get access to it, and even to go up it on some occasions, but to leave it freely open at all times to people in today's world is just asking for trouble.

Also, I think they've done a decent job and it looks loads better than it has for decades. I think I would have liked to see a bit of red colour too though. I really like the railings. I look forward to viewing it in person :)
Yeah, they could charge for access! :)

Reluctantly, I agree, they can't leave it as open access. Asking for trouble.

*sigh*

Hate admitting that. Really goes against my values that, but...

As for charging, er, no. But perhaps a daily opening of an hour or so with a staff member. Longer during silly season. Things like this well done could attract other visitors interested in heritage.

Just adds another dimension. It's not like other attractions purely based on gardens, and historic monuments don't get plenty of visitors.

It isn't like it hasn't got enough attractions of historical value to warrant it.