2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Discussion in 'Planning Portal Archive' started by AT86, 20th Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rightbackgranty

rightbackgranty TowersStreet Member

You have to wonder how willing IP's are to work with the park right now. I've not seen many sponsorship type deals in the park since the incident or brands 'showing their face' with stalls in the park.

delta79 likes this.
  2. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

I've also heard from others about a possible VR introduction on Air. If they do this however, I hope it is optional and not forced upon everyone. Personally, I would rather they spend the money on doing up the area, adding waterfalls, lakes etc which you skim over as opposed to watching a computer generated screen infront of my eyes.

Leah and UserDeleted like this.
  3. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    If they go VR, i bet it will be down most of the time to 'clean up lunch' for the first few weeks.

DiogoJ42 and AliceHL91 like this.
  4. RyanK

RyanK TowersStreet Member

I can't imagine VR being a very smooth operation, surely it will have a pretty big effect on the dispatch time of each train? If it is destined for Air, I hope it is an optional feature.

A quick news report on Europa Parks recent trail of VR.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33988909

5. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Is the VR trial at Europa Park owned/designed/built by Mack? And what about Foodloop?

Maybe it's a two for one jobby.

6. jonny9403

jonny9403 TowersStreet Member

If its mack it should be reliable enough for full time. But I wouldn't like vr

7. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

Urrrg if it is VR can you imagin all the faff loading and unloading. Please no no no

8. James

James TS Founding Member

It may be nothing although more Wi-Fi boxes have been installed around Air recently (which would be needed for VR).

*If* they went for VR I would rather see no IP attached to it. I could see the reason for investment in that if so, as VR is the USP sorted to make it marketable.

9. RyanK

RyanK TowersStreet Member

It appears that the "VRcoaster" brand on the VR headsets is indeed a company owned by Mack.

Website here: http://vrcoaster.com/index.php

10. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

I wouldn't ride Air if it had VR. I like Air more than a lot of people on here so I really, really hope that's just a daft rumour. I can't imagine it being true, thankfully.

11. AndrewH

AndrewH TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Surely if you are going to do vr then you would do it with sw8 (or medium investment coaster) so you can design the coaster for vr and not just throw it on. I personally think vr would ruin air and would only work on coasters like RMT (although it would ruin that as well but that type of coaster)

12. AliceHL91

AliceHL91 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Oblivion
    It would make sense in the fact that it would finally have some sort of theme.

UserDeleted likes this.
  13. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Problem with Air of course given the fact your laying down is that VR goggles would be no good, they would fall off, and can you imagine trying to get the strap over everyones head, check it, check the restraints etc.

Maybe some sort of hood canopy that they pull down as the restraints are pulled down over your head, so your looking straight into the canopy with the imagine..... not sure how far we are with bendable screens but maybe some sort of curved tv screen infront of the person.....

14. James

James TS Founding Member

My main issue with VR on Air would be the fact it's a short ride... you would have the VR headset on then back off before you know it. VR would work better on something like The Smiler.

15. delta79

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    I think ER (enhanced reality) would fit better (and it the smiler perfectly)

AliceHL91 and UserDeleted like this.
  16. UserDeleted

UserDeleted Guest

I just think it's a major dumb idea. It will just be like being on a simulator. There is no point to it at all. It's just so they don't have to actually do any physical work.

I believe technology should enhance the roller coaster world. Creat new possibilities, not rule it.

Kids spend too much time looking at screens and not enjoying the outdoors. A roller coaster gives you thrills of scenery and the outdoors.

Just my opinion but I think if his is the route they go down, I will avoid air like the plague, more so than now.

AliceHL91 likes this.
  17. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

What's ER?

Also, I would actually like VR if it was optional. I can't see any problem if it is optional, unless it has an ip, or creates lots of faff.

18. delta79

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Enhanced reality is where you have a headset that you see though however images can be projected into your real life view.

Anyway, gadget show was at EP showing off VR on their run away train

Leah likes this.
  19. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

Call me old fashioned but I've always thought of VR as a gimmick and a poor one at that, mind you I've never seen the point of 3d TV either.

VR would spoil Air and I suspect that Theme Park God John Wardley wouldn't like it either just as he disliked the retro fitting of blasters to the haunted house.

Come on Alton, do justice to the original theme, give Air the paradise she deserves and begin a theme can be followed through create a world class setting for SW8, but please... no VR.

AliceHL91 and danni87 like this.
  20. Mathmosman

Mathmosman TowersStreet Member

How could VR work on a coaster where you are essentially facing the ground..? Surely it works when you are sat up right, looking ahead? On AIR, it can be difficult to spend the whole ride facing forward, and that's how you would need to be, to watch another 'piece of motion'?

AliceHL91 and UserDeleted like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.