• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Air - Re-theme to VR Coaster - Galactica

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It will work. Gimmicks always work their intended purpose, and that is to bring in the GP. Whether it will actually be good or not is a different question, but I don't doubt for a minute that if won't work.

Those rows always seem to have the longest queue though, even if you think they aren't that good

As far as I'm aware, the park openly stated in a review it was a waste of time and money as it failed to draw more people to the ride after the initial let down.

Plus the reason they have the longer queue is due to the fact there are less rows, slowing down the reverse throughput. If there were more backward rows and less forward facing rows, the queue for the forward rows would also naturally be longer.

As far as I'm aware, the park openly stated in a review it was a waste of time and money as it failed to draw more people to the ride after the initial let down.

Plus the reason they have the longer queue is due to the fact there are less rows, slowing down the reverse throughput. If there were more backward rows and less forward facing rows, the queue for the forward rows would also naturally be longer.

Does Thorpe Park know Swarm was a let down? I really love that ride I don't get what's bad about it?!?!?!

This is somewhat off topic but The Swarm was not a success for Thorpe, a fact that they admitted themselves. That is why they turned some of the seats backwards; a gimmick to try and get people back to the ride. The reason it was not a success was largely down to the marketing, a lot of people thought that the TV advert was for the You Me At Six song rather than a new ride at Thorpe Park.

Anyway, back to Air!

:)

I haven't really weighed in with much thought on Air's transformation but it seems totally bizarre.

I'm excited to see what happens and what the result is - and equally I'm excited for the foodloop in the old shop. However there's plenty of rides and areas in the park which need far more attention and sprucing up than Air does or did.

It just seems like a bit of a rash decision is all... But then again we might all be blown away in March. Might is a bit of a hopeful word though...

@Scott - perhaps it was more a case of the park being attracted to the technology and then finding the most suitable ride to implement it on, rather than "We want to give Air a makeover" being the initial thought.

I think that's the issue it sounds a bit gimmicky. If it's going to work in the long term it needs to work well really improve the ride and be seen as by everyone as more than just a gimmick that is overlooked as soon as the next new things appears. Only time will tell on that (& we may all be wrong on the plans).

@Rick Agree it does feel that they wanted the technology and Air provided the best fit, but I guess it's good to see Merlin/Towers still embracing new concepts.

Off topic but @Leah personally I think the swarm is great (forwards backwards not so great) and has always had relatively long queues when I've been but it was a bit of a commercial flop for Thorpe overall and I'm sure I heard visitor numbers actually fell the year it opened.

I think instinctively Air is the ride that you'd want a VR experience on. Everyone has always wanted to fly, you'd hope with this VR technology, it will make it feel like you're flying even more than Air does already!

I think instinctively Air is the ride that you'd want a VR experience on. Everyone has always wanted to fly, you'd hope with this VR technology, it will make it feel like you're flying even more than Air does already!

... Or finally make you feel like flying rather than being dragged around on ya back.

If Air is going to be the next VR attraction, I'd like to see it implemented in a better way than the existing attraction at Europa Park. I'd personally like to see the screens attached to the ride vehicles as opposed to wearing them on your head, you have very limited head movement / space on Air already i think it would work a lot better if the screens lowered down with the restraints.

If Air is going to be the next VR attraction, I'd like to see it implemented in a better way than the existing attraction at Europa Park. I'd personally like to see the screens attached to the ride vehicles as opposed to wearing them on your head, you have very limited head movement / space on Air already i think it would work a lot better if the screens lowered down with the restraints.
If this is possible it would be great as it wouldn't affect the throughput. Only problem is that it wouldn't be optional (unless only certain rows had it). I hope its optional, even if that means its not free. I love air as it Is, I want to experience it again without VR. It will also increase the down time if it is attached to the restraints, as they cant run the ride if they go down.

I am going to chime in here with my thoughts.

What if this isn't VR at all, but just a major upgrade to the overall look and feel of the ride?

I know saying that is wishful thinking, and likely wrong, but hey, everybody is now talking as if VR is gospel and confirmed, which it isn't.

There was a guy the other day who said he saw something on the front row of the ride, how do we know this is not a device to measure clearance levels so they can get away with the nearest of near misses?

I just think if VR is going to be implemented then it needs to be done on a much lower key ride like RMT, because it is not an established technology, and what I have seen of it so far, looks AWFUL.

Why add new theming elements if you are going to have your eyes covered by goggles?

Not much is actually pointing at VR being what is going on here at all, all it is saying to me is, prepare for a new flight, we want to remarket this ride, give it a lick of paint, spruce it up, open a new restaurant and add some theming, not to mention some green screen photography and brand new merch.

I am probably just wishful thinking, but that is what I would do, why fix what isn't broken? (well except for the theming of course) VR will kill this experience, why not just have a damn Simulator?

What if this isn't VR at all, but just a major upgrade to the overall look and feel of the ride?

I know saying that is wishful thinking, and likely wrong, but hey, everybody is now talking as if VR is gospel and confirmed, which it isn't.

There was a guy the other day who said he saw something on the front row of the ride, how do we know this is not a device to measure clearance levels so they can get away with the nearest of near misses?

I just think if VR is going to be implemented then it needs to be done on a much lower key ride like RMT, because it is not an established technology, and what I have seen of it so far, looks AWFUL.

Why add new theming elements if you are going to have your eyes covered by goggles?

Not much is actually pointing at VR being what is going on here at all, all it is saying to me is, prepare for a new flight, we want to remarket this ride, give it a lick of paint, spruce it up, open a new restaurant and add some theming, not to mention some green screen photography and brand new merch.

I am probably just wishful thinking, but that is what I would do, why fix what isn't broken? (well except for the theming of course) VR will kill this experience, why not just have a damn Simulator?

Completely agree.

They might be actually doing the tunnel after so long and adding tunnels and near misses, this would be so much better.

Same as the washing machine element on the smiler really... Heavily rumoured, but nothing happened in the end.

I think its just wishful thinking, but you could be right. It just seems like the pointless gimmick merlin would leap at the chance to get. As far as some visitors are concerned, its a new ride...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.