• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In the 1930s/40s rollercoasters didn't have any restraints at all because people knew they had to hold on for dear life so they could make it round in one piece, nowadays people need to be tied to the seat with a straight jacket to stop them standing up on the rides to look "cool" in front of their mates.

Close but not quite. A good example was the black hole coaster. when it opened there was no restraint. But if it stopped on the lift hill it was possible for an idiot to stand up and get out the wrong side of the car and drop to possible death. So the restraint was just to stop those idiots, this was explained at the talk I went to when the Black Hole closed. and as you say, it is likely people now would do it to try and look cool.

Plus, unfortunately people do stupid things thesedays so their mates can film it, then upload it to YouTube so they (a) look cool and (b) get lots of revenue from hits to the video.

Close but not quite. A good example was the black hole coaster. when it opened there was no restraint. But if it stopped on the lift hill it was possible for an idiot to stand up and get out the wrong side of the car and drop to possible death. So the restraint was just to stop those idiots, this was explained at the talk I went to when the Black Hole closed. and as you say, it is likely people now would do it to try and look cool.

I can't wait for the mandatory bubble wrap suits with danger sign necklace for every guest at the park. It's a shame that because of the one or two potential Darwin candidates we have to be pinned in to every seat or boxed in by fences everywhere.

Last edited:

I remember back in the days when a staff member got onto the black hole chatting up some girls. The Girls were in the front carriage, behind them he sat side saddle on the side edge of the car, legs hanging over the outside and I witness this from the rear carriage just behind the staff member. When the car got to the top, he swung his legs inside the car facing totally backwards through out the ride. Once the car hit the brake run, he resumed his position back to the side saddle with his legs overhanging the sides and the girls turned around and though he sat like that all the way around the track ..lol....

I also remember when the Alton Beast used to get stuck up the spiral lift hill and the staff would then walk up the spiral track with not safety harnesses to push the cars until they moved again.

Don't forget that the flume is sadly to be removed from the line up this year and is one of the last ride that contain drops/chutes on the park to contain no safety restraints. From now onwards it will look like we all will have to buckle up.

Nice photo of Galactica's portal from Twitter.
a6fb6e96a90e54f594bd579e6642f4d5.jpg

A bit of a random post, in relation to Sub-Terra being closed and the problems with its new restraints.

I've just been on Drop Dead at the Blackpool Tower Dungeon and their version now has the new Sub-Terra restraints with the rubber flaps and guards too, which were proving to be quite a problem for the ride hosts. I wonder if this has been rolled out over all of the towers now?

What is the problem with these ABC tower restraints?

I don't understand what's causing the issue - apologies if I've missed it explained somewhere.

They were having trouble getting them to lock because they don't fit over the riders and the extra weight of the harnesses keep cutting out the ride systems.

They were having trouble getting them to lock because they don't fit over the riders and the extra weight of the harnesses keep cutting out the ride systems.

You mean including the new guards etc?

Seems very poor design, especially if it's basically rendered NST unusable!

I'd flip my lid if I was Towers over this.

I don't think its necessarily rendered NST unusable, I think it just had the same problems as the others. I think the reason for Sub-Terra's closure is budget cuts and its unpopularity.

So, according to TS facebook feed, the ticket prices for 2016 have gone up to £51.60 !!!!!

That's for no :

Sub-Terra,
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,
Driving School,
Hex,
Flume,
Ripsaw

As well as reduced opening hours and days.

Given the losses the park made last year I see no incentive from Merlin to try and encourage people back. The short breaks I notice are still showing as 30% off, which is something I never seen last this long before after Christmas, so room bookings must be down. Add to this the extortionate prices of staying over and the lack of deposit this year its no wonder.

I really don't know what Merlin are playing at anymore, but they are wrecking what was once a great park. Reduce the prices and people will come to visit again. Get the gate numbers up, make money from people in the park, merchandise, food, drinks etc, and stop discouraging people from visiting!

The headline on the day price has risen, but all advanced ticket prices have reduced. I actually have no problems with this, apart from the fact that it makes for bad PR. Very few pay the top price therefore by increasing it they get more money from those who use BOGOFs. Then £36.12 online is fairly reasonable in today's market.

More details regarding the 2016 prices here.

:)

I do agree that raising the price of entrance this year is ridiculous however did anyone really expect them no to?
The majority of guests will either pre book or use 2 for 1 anyway and the majority of the GP wont even question it.

I do agree that raising the price of entrance this year is ridiculous however did anyone really expect them no to?

I genuinely expected a price-freeze, with considerably fewer attractions on offer. Hard one to justify, this.

Yes advance prices have fallen but the cheapest way to get in has always been using the BOGOF vouchers, which will be subject to the price rise.

They clearly want to push more people towards buying tickets in advance online which is definitely the right way to go. It gives them a better idea of what to expect in terms of guest numbers each day and allows them to add customers to their CRM database for future marketing opportunities. As I say, I have no problems with this, it makes good sense.

But the problem they have is that it is the on the gate price that grabs headline, and that is very expensive. They'll be a considerable number that don't look past that.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.