• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
The fact it has blood on its hands makes me want to ride it more to be honest. More danger means more excitement. Plus, unlike some of the people who've posted in this thread already, I love the ride, it's my second or third favourite coaster anywhere and in my opinion, excluding Hex, which isn't so much a ride as a work of art, the best thing they've done since at least Oblivion, if not since Nemesis.

Reactions: Dar
Biggest death trap ride I ever went on was in Porthcawl South Wales many years ago, a rollercoaster called The Blizzard. Remember sitting inside the cars, admiring the rust on the wheels and parts of the track. The harness seemed to be held together by copious amounts of electrical tape, and I appeared to be sitting on several sand bags, which, upon asking the operator as he pushed the "go" button were in his words "to keep it on the track" lol

The smiler isn't rough. Its not smooth, but its far from rough. The only ride at towers I'd class as rough is rita, and even that's not too bad (figured out now how to avoid a concussion).

Even after the crash, I'd still say it is (and always has been) safer than the rides at some other parks. If you had asked me in may which park would have this accident, towers would be may last answer, even if the smiler didn't feel "right" from the start

Comfortable = boring!
I will definitely go on The Smiler again next year without hesitation, that is if there are enough other rides open to justify visiting.

Strangely enough I agree with what others have said about not entirely trusting the ride before this incident happened, it did feel like the construction was rushed and not thought out properly, but I still think it's a great coaster!

But Wodan isn't rough...

Rough woodies are just as terrible as any rough steel coaster... Mean Streak would be better as firewood...
I don't find the Smile rough I have been on worse cough cough Gwazi but I have been on smoother as for will I ride it again yes i will

I have been to the park about a dozen times since the Smiler opened and been on it once.

It's a good ride, which I wouldn't be put off riding again, as long as queues don't go above 30mins. Anything over that and I'd rather queue for Oblivion or Nemesis.

I have no issues riding The Smiler after the accident, however it's not a coaster I really get any enjoyment from so unless there was a short queue I wouldn't bother anyway.

Comfortable = boring!

Yes, the likes of Helix, Blue Fire, EGF, many a B&M etc. (all comfortable coasters) are extremely boring...!

The probem I find with The Smiler is that there are some really quite severe jolts. I find that I have to brace myself around the coaster all of the time and that does not make for an enjoyable ride experience as you focus on bracing rather than the ride itself. Coaster tend to be far more enjoyable when you can sit freely and go with the flow. That doesn't mean they need to be silk smooth either; Wodan for example can throw you around a bit but it is perfectly comfortable to sit freely and enjoy the ride.

:)

The fact it has blood on its hands makes me want to ride it more to be honest. More danger means more excitement.

Whilst I do get where you are coming from, I think we do have to be a little bit sensitive that being a public forum, Leah, Joe, Vicky and Daniel could be reading this, and perhaps not share the sentiment.

If any of you four are reading this, you would be very welcome to join us. We will completely understand if you answer 'No' to this poll however.

I don't nomally ride smiler. It is too.. unpredictably rough for my delecate back. But I will ride it on reopening out of a matter of solidarity with the park. I want the press to report that the smiler opened and then have to eat thier fear mongering when the comments point out that the queue was 2 hours long so thier panic tactics dont work. Then those more gullable and sheeplike guests will wander back to towers, making it back proffitable and facilitating new and better rides in the future.

When I ride the smiler am I the only one who doesn't find if rough? The only jolt I notice is the one on the heartline at the end but it hardly ruined the ride for me!
I will definitely be getting back on it as it is my favourite ride (I find it more intense and fun the nemesis but it is very close) although like many others it never felt 100% safe and when I heard there was a rollercoaster crash at towers my instant instinct was it was the smiler.

I do actually, you hear of plenty of people that face their fears and "get back on the horse" so to speak.
I'm not sure they even could physically go on it even if they wanted to. An I'm certain they won't consider the smiler. A kids ride, possibly.

I think we do have to be a little bit sensitive that being a public forum, Leah, Joe, Vicky and Daniel could be reading this,

I Did a Twitter search for their names in tweets, I think a lot a twitter users need to look at their humour or lack of it.
I have a dark side to my humour, and even I knew some users had crossed the line at a running pace.

I will ride it and I would have done immediately after the incident.

However I dont find it particularly enjoyable. I echo that I spend the whole ride bracing myself and contorting my body against the restraints to avoid getting a good bashing.

Not to mention the awfully designed Gerstlauer restraints which end up squashing my legs by the end of the ride. Not pleasant when the trains are stacking on the brake run.