• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I'm not overly sure it's going to be open for opening weekend now.

My friend is attending the Services day on the 13th and 18th March and having just googled it, I've found this.

12042828_515815368596294_6526883999233654951_n.jpg

Notice at the bottom it says it will be unavailable.

Surely if it was opening for opening day, this would have been an ideal chance to warm up and get it open?

It a cover clause, this offer was released in dec. So i would not read too much into it.

Yeah, opening the Smiler to a bunch of people who may have lost a leg to an IED would not be the smartest idea! :p

Yeah, opening the Smiler to a bunch of people who may have lost a leg to an IED would not be the smartest idea! :p

Improvised Entertainment Device?

That flyer says that Air won't be available either, but Air is no more! Will Galactica be open then?

Only from a media view point. Why not have it as a request ride, book an afternoon time slot to ride it.

No surprises there then! Not the best of timing for Towers, just weeks before the park re-opens; this along with Merlin's preliminary 2015 trading results will be all over the media.

:)

Thats that for it opening this season in my opinion. They wont run it with an ongoing court case.

A court case should have no impact on The Smiler operating this season. Towers will have known since the day the incident happened that a court case would materialise.

:)

Everyone expect this thought right? I did, end of the day there was a high likelihood of them just straight accepting everything that is thrown at them in court and why wouldn't they, after already holding up their hands and accepting responsibility in public they can hardly challenge the HSE. I think far from stopping them from opening the smiler this year it may be the line that needs drawing under the matter but it could mean it doesn't open till later in the season rather than towards the beginning.

Everyone expect this thought right? I did, end of the day there was a high likelihood of them just straight accepting everything that is thrown at them in court and why wouldn't they, after already holding up their hands and accepting responsibility in public they can hardly challenge the HSE. I think far from stopping them from opening the smiler this year it may be the line that needs drawing under the matter but it could mean it doesn't open till later in the season rather than towards the beginning.
I think we all knew it'd end up in court. I'd say it's quite likely a guilty plea will be made - after all, they've made the results of their investigation public knowledge. What's going to be interesting is the fine that will be given out, which will no doubt be seen by some people as an insult to those who were injured (I'm looking at you here, Daily Mirror), but we shall have to wait and see on that point.

I've ridden FAR worse piles of scrap (looking at you Infusion and Bandit) and have been on rides which have shed pieces (looking at you Commander and Rush etc) and rides with deaths/serious injuries to their name (looking at you Nash, PMBO etc) and I drive a car with no ABS, Airbags, TCS, Rear seat belts, crumple zones, side bars etc on the motorway. I am embracing the chance of injury and am many millions of percent more likely to die on the way to AT etc.....

I really can't imagine this being a very long process, their representatives will show up, plead guilty and take their punishment. Will there even be a need for the HSE to present their evidence beforehand?

I've ridden FAR worse piles of scrap (looking at you Infusion and Bandit) and have been on rides which have shed pieces (looking at you Commander and Rush etc) and rides with deaths/serious injuries to their name (looking at you Nash, PMBO etc) and I drive a car with no ABS, Airbags, TCS, Rear seat belts, crumple zones, side bars etc on the motorway. I am embracing the chance of injury and am many millions of percent more likely to die on the way to AT etc.....

You forgot to mention Tornado at M&D's...;)

Interesting note from the preliminary results:
On 2 June 2015 an accident occurred at Alton Towers Resort on "The Smiler‟ ride. The Group responded immediately to support those who were injured, and maintains appropriate insurance that we expect will provide full compensation in due course. We continue to fully support the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as they undertake their investigation. It is possible that additional uninsured costs and, depending on the outcome of the HSE investigation, financial penalties may be incurred. At this stage these costs are not anticipated to be material in the context of the Group's financial statements

So the crash and associated fines and compensation isn't directly going to have an impact on Merlin's bottom line.
(Am I allowed to post this or is it considered leaked information that might spoil whatever?)