• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Be nice to know if they were restoring Oblivion too.
They could, but I doubt they will. It requires effort, and who will notice :(.

If it will retain its "features", that would mean its not being watered down. Of course though, they would say that wouldn't they.

They could, but I doubt they will. It requires effort, and who will notice :(.

If it will retain its "features", that would mean its not being watered down. Of course though, they would say that wouldn't they.

Hopefully it's just a matter of restoring the original video and getting rid of the edited one. We can hope can't we.

I hope the videos are returned as well, also I hope The Smiler's aren't molested, the only bad side effect I saw was toe twitching...

"Retaining original theme and features" doesn't directly translate to everything will stay exactly the same. I do expect some minor changes.

:)

I have a feeling they may have removed some of the strobe lighting when you enter. I hope they keep the music I would happily have that on repeat just in general life

Music should be fine as it is.

All they really need to change is the video before you go into the optical illusion room, get rid of some of the side effects in the small print. Other than that the ride and theme should be left untouched.

The problem with The Smiler is that every little bit of the theme can be made out as 'offensive'. "Get Corrected" "Join Us" "You Belong to The Smiler", the hahaha-ing in the music, The Inoculator (needles), the name of the ride itself, the fact the ride still stands... any idiot can pick something out and say how disrespectful and rude it is... I hope Alton Towers keep most of it as it is, as a middle finger to those moaners if anything.

As much as I love the hahaha, I can really see why that alone would be disrespectful to keep. The thought that the victims would have been sat there seriously injured with that music playing for even a short length of time is pretty horrifying.

The brain makes things (noises, smells e.t.c) a lot more significant when the body experiences pain, it's an association reflex to avert being in that situation again, so I can imagine that that music is still quite poignant in the victims minds even now..

Not sure they'll even bother leaving this how it is or if they'll just turn it off. Lot would need to be edited out :(

Not sure they'll even bother leaving this how it is or if they'll just turn it off. Lot would need to be edited out :(

Don't see anything particularly bad in there. Leave it as it was IMO. It's a original and refreshing way of keeping the theme going throughout the shop and always made me laugh when I was in there.

None of it needs to be cut really, nothing is directly offensive. The media will pick it to bits either way so please the 99% by not editing

I think that cutting bits out of videos/music could create more problems, as people may pick up on other points (e.g. "why did they cut this out but not that?")

Leave it as it is I say.

Just watched all of that video, so much of it can be seen as 'offensive' if looked at in certain ways. So much in fact that removing it all would actually destroy the theme and leave the whole ride theme-less. So I have now come to the conclusion that they might as well not remove/edit anything (apart from if there is a reference to loss of limb as a possible side effect of The Smiler) as however they leave it some will rip into it!

Once it's open and the initial media storm is out of the way then it should all be fine regarding the theme.

:)