• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I will, the addition of the reset buttons at various locations around the track is the clincher for me. However, it will have a major affect on downtime with staff having to walk around to every point per restart.

I will, the addition of the reset buttons at various locations around the track is the clincher for me. However, it will have a major affect on downtime with staff having to walk around to every point per restart.

I would ride it in the exact same form that it was in before. The chances of an accident were millions-to-one to begin with, and I strongly doubt anybody would make a similar mistake again even with no additional safeguards; this isn't an accident that the ride hosts will be allowed to forget.

Of course I will... Why?

I would ride it in the exact same form that it was in before. The chances of an accident were millions-to-one to begin with, and I strongly doubt anybody would make a similar mistake again even with no additional safeguards; this isn't an accident that the ride hosts will be allowed to forget.

^^ THiS ^^

Riding rollercoasters is more safer than walking down your street.

I would be happy to ride it. After the accident I told people that I would be happy to ride it if it opened the day after.

I will definitely riding it again and I am looking forward to it but it will definitely be in the back of my mind at least until we get passed the batwing. Although it will be nice to have that anxiety when riding it again.

Of course I would ride, but I think (don't know if you can edit the poll) is where you will ride, front, back, middle? I'm sure it will be a little more varied then, considering the bias of the forum in sure this will be quite one sided

I've got no problem with going on the Smiler again. What happened was an extremely unfortunate incident. And besides - I'm more at risk of injuring myself or getting killed when I'm just driving from Biddulph to Towers than on a ride at Towers itself!

I didn't ride it even before the accident. And I've been on plenty of "death creds" without a second thought. But Smiler has never seemed safe to me, ever since it was built. I have the cred ticked off, and no desire to reride it. It's rough, with too many inversions for the sake of a record. So even ignoring the events of this season, I've never enjoyed riding it. I'm not saying I'll never go on it again, but in my rankings it sits alongside the likes of Infusion and Colossus: unpleasant and to be avoided for the wellbeing of my head.

But hey, I'm well aware that's the minority view. Feel free to enjoy it yerselves guys. :)

I actually agree with Diogo, yes, i've been on the Smiler, but, out of all the rides in Alton, and all the years i've been visiting, its the only one I have never felt 101% safe on, and I said before the accident that I just had this feeling that there would be an accident on that ride. Don't know why, maybe due to the problems they had when it was built with the track coming apart, or supports needing to be moved, then the issues with guide wheels falling off etc, dunno, just had that feeling....

Whereas everytime I get on Nemmie or Blivvy, or Air, or anything else for that matter I feel totally safe. I would ride it again yes - but, only the once, my head can only stand so much banging around!!!

I do agree with some of the above comments actually, The Smiler has never felt like the safest of rides. When I first heard of what had happened back in June I wasn't at all surprised that the coaster in question was The Smiler.

The construction of the ride was such a farce and so many things went wrong once it opened that don't tend to happen on coasters.

Saying that I will have no probems riding it again next season. It's far from my favourite coaster but when you do get the odd smooth and comfortable ride on the front row it is good fun.

:)

I would have no problem riding it, however if it was on reduced capacity and a 3 hour queue, you would find me on Nemesis :)

Am I the only one that doesn't find The Smiler rough? It's far from smooth, but I've been on far, far, far rougher coasters. I've found my rides on The Smiler pretty comfortable.

As for riding it again. I will. Everything and anything could go wrong, that's how you live your life, whatever you do.

I've been on the death ride known as Tornado at M&D's which IMO is probably more of a dangerous machine than Smiler, especially in it's early Corkscrew days, so yeah, I'm still all up for riding Smiler again, piece of p**h compared to Tornado. :cool: