• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Theme Park Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's got enough marketing gimmicks to be true that's all I'm saying.

Let's always remember that Alton Towers most revered and best coaster WAS NOT a world's first. I hope they return to that, even though I like novelty, the idea of the coaster described sounds like it would be a valley coaster.

The more I walk through that valley, the less I understand how on Earth they could get either a) permission, or b) a budget big enough to work around such a beautiful area of the park.

WITHOUT it being a valley coaster, I just can't imagine a suitable place to fully take advantage of what you want in a wooden coaster.

Yes I would like them to get one, but not a half arsed one, which given height/space/noise restrictions, aside from the valley, (and PLEASE NOT THE AIR CAR PARK FOR A WOODIE) where the heck would you put a decent sized one?

I immediately respect this "spin doctor" for that. A washing machine?!?!

Yes, someone suggested as you left the station, the train would somehow stop and then would spin 360 degrees (think hamster wheel but side on). It got nicknamed the washing machine element.

Due to the rather good humour of the Ents department, if you watch the videos on the Marmaliser, for a second it flashes up a washing machine in homage to the rumour. No, really, it does :D look:

1369996682.jpg

Courtesy Towers Nerd Live

I love how Towers just went along with the rumour! Firstly with the marmaliser effect pictured above, and secondly that all the promotional videos (Blue Peter/YouTube etc) they never showed the inside section after the barrel roll on the brake run!

I love how Towers just went along with the rumour! Firstly with the marmaliser effect pictured above, and secondly that all the promotional videos (Blue Peter/YouTube etc) they never showed the inside section after the barrel roll on the brake run!

I do love the fact they put that washing machine in the video.

I wonder how many people actually notice it and think, eh? o_O

It's a plausible idea, but I don't think an anonymous user posting on TowersTimes gives it any more credence than any of the suggestions in this thread. This happens for every Secret Weapon: do you remember when Shawn 'revealed' that SW6 would be a B&M? Or that person who fooled TowersTimes into thinking that SW7 would have the Washing Machine?

Leroy2009jones is still adamant that SW6 is a B&M! :p

As for what the Karnan person has posted, I'd imagine it is a load of tosh! The idea that Towers know what they want to build in 2017 already is quite frankly hilarious! I'd imagine they are currently panicking about something that is going wrong in the planning phase for the 2016 development, whatever that may be.

:)

Why? The only good thing Wardley has created was Nemesis. It might be good to have someone else have some creative control for once.

RMT
Haunted House
Toyland Tours
Oblivion
Vampire
Bubble Works
5th Dimension

And so on.

Don't get me wrong i completely disagree with TheMans sentiments (even though i have limited faith in Merlin studios) it is simplistic to think only Wardley can produce a good dark ride. (would hazard a guess TheMan was attempting humour with that comment though).

Why? The only good thing Wardley has created was Nemesis. It might be good to have someone else have some creative control for once.
John didn't have creative lead on a ride since about Nemesis in 94; hadn't had total control since Haunted House in 92. Tussauds Studios took over the creative side after that and John's role was gradually reduced, until to the point at which he was just a consultant on the technical side. I think the declining quality of the attractions ever since 94 speaks for itself about the big role John played.

RMT
Haunted House
Toyland Tours
Oblivion
Vampire
Bubble Works
5th Dimension

And so on.
Out of that list John conceived the idea of Haunted House, BubbleWorks, The Vampire and RMT, but wasn't at all involved with the concepts for Toyland Tours or The 5th Dimension. I get what you're saying but in fact it just backs up your point that not just John Wardley can create a good dark ride in the UK, as excellent as he is in his creative processes.

There's also no hope if any studio decided to do a whole dark ride in house, so I don't expect Merlin Studios to do that. The last time that happened was 5th Dimension almost 30 years ago and unfortunately that didn't end up too well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please ensure posts contribute to discussions.

I have removed a couple of posts as they weren't contributing.

Personally I am unaware of the dates in which previous SW plans got released but a lot of people on here have seemed to suggest around late November/ December for the next SW?

As it's nearing to the end of December has Alton decided to switch to a 4 year cycle like Thorpe park? After all their documents for their 'next big thing' have already been released.

from what i understand the 4 big resort parks now run on a rolling cycle for major investment so get their big investment every 4 years, with chessington being slightly different but the large park investments at Chessington arent anywhere near the size the of those at the other 4 parks. The lego parks seem to be on different schedules depending n the park wth windsor getting major investment every 4 years while the Denmark and California park get one every 2 years.

It will be 2017 before we see Alton's next major ride, hopefully they learnt from last time and a planning app is put in before the end of 2015 giving them more time especially if they have issues with planning.

Plans for The Smiler were initally submitted in December 2011 (which was a tad later than usual) but they were modified and resubmited with theming plans in early 2012.

It does appear that Merlin have switched to four year cycles though which does make more sense really. So the next major attraction at Alton Towers will be in 2017. We should see a planning application hopefully around November next year. If they have not learnt lessons from investment failures (from a planning point of view) in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and actually get things done in good time. You'd like to think that they are well on their way to knowing what it is they want and where about they want it by now.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.