• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Theme Park Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
NO! I wouldn't mind a large refurbishment but not a re-theme of Duel! Its great the way it is, and the area works so well. Its 10,000,000,000 times better than Dark Forest!

It's not great the way it is. The lasers are a bit tacky, half the targets don't work, the animatronics, theming and 'story' are all very out of date.

If anything happens to it - it will have to be completely started afresh.

^3 times I've been on it and got around 15,000and it reset halfway round this season. The lasers are a bit stiff for some people and it's all dated. For my lucky brother the points he got doubled and all the targets turned off around 3quarters round in the spinning tunnel. Ended up with 80,000 points compared to everyone else's 20,000 and under.

Seems like towers have some plans in place for the submission site. On there facebook site in one of the ride battles they say that it was removed for redevelopment of that area of x sector.

So perhaps they may be thinking of something a little bigger than a flat ride. But it probably just marketing talk and they don't want to say it was broken.

Seems like towers have some plans in place for the submission site. On there facebook site in one of the ride battles they say that it was removed for redevelopment of that area of x sector.

So perhaps they may be thinking of something a little bigger than a flat ride. But it probably just marketing talk and they don't want to say it was broken.

There isn't the space for anything bigger than a flat ride there to be honest. There probably will be another flat ride added at some point to help to soak up the queues from Oblivion and The Smiler.

Submission was not planned to leave this season, technical issues resulted in a last minute decision to lose it. Although i'm sure it will be replaced at some point i would guess definitive plans are still in development.

A zac spin could possibly fit in that space, themed in the yellow and black colours of x sector and the smiler,it could fit in quite well, never ridden one but I want to, they look brilliant and I want one in the uk. Submission obviously wasn't planned to be removed as it wouldn't be announced so suddenly in my opinion. Of it was removed earlier I would think Oblivion would be open for ert. I hate to say this but although it killed it was a good concept and if it was comfier would have been much better. Ripsaw feels just as rough on my legs though but I still love it and do not want to see it go until the next ltdp is planned as if the flume and the blade are goneit will mean a shortage of flats and if Ripsaw went as well it would leave enterprise as the only thrill flat. If they keep It on until after the lisp and all removed rides have been replaced I will be happy. If it was to go o would like a Huss frisbee or Intamin giant gyro dug partially in a pit to replace it.

Last edited:
ZacSpins have rather low throughput, though, and I suspect there are several flat rides available which could be a much better fit where Submission was than a ZacSpin. Also, I think having three coasters in one area of the park is a bit too much. Sure, a ZacSpin doesn't take up much space, but I don't find them to be terribly interesting rides, and I don't think it's something Towers would go for.

I think that areas footprint would actually be too small for a ZacSpin. Also I agree the throughput would be too small and equally I would have thought they would be too tall and wouldn't receive planning permission.

Ideally a thrill flat is needed there, something to help soak up the long waits that The Smiler still experiences.

Despite this - there are other areas of the park that need attention sooner like the Dark Forest

I personally can't see Submission's site being addressed until 2017 at the very earliest. I wouldn't be massively surprised if they wait until they want to get rid of Enterprise and then they have more space to work with. In theory it shouldn't be too much of a problem installing a new ride in the area as it is covered by permitted development rights.

:)

I quite like the lawn tbh... I can;t see them rushing to replace Subs, maybe they will be removing Ents pretty soon, so a new high capacity flat could replace both of them...

They'll want to get their money's worth out of that turf before they rip it up again. ;)

I hope there will be another flat where Submission was, but if it was a flat, what could replace it?

A dark ride maybe, I would like to see a MOJ themed dark ride in XS, they could extend it beyond oblivion's track into the space there. Although towers is screaming for a new thrill flat & there are many options available to them.

A few days ago, I was at a kind of talk thing at THORPE PARK, where they shared information on the types of rides etc, technology of them and so on. I was then surprised to hear the person talk about the next 'big project' (likely to be a coaster, of course), before he then said "And I hope you are all looking forward to the next big thing in 2016 here at THORPE PARK".

Now, I know you are all probably wondering why I brought this up. But it seems that Merlin like to run in cycles (3 year ones) before big investment is made. Obviously with The Swarm's 'bad year' in 2012, we all kind of expected 2016 to be the year, not 2015 as everyone previously thought, and obviously the next big thing for Alton is expected in 2016 too...

So if Thorpe are getting a new coaster in 2016, or some kind of big investment, where does this leave Towers? Surely it would suit better to have a big investment at Thorpe 1 year, then Alton the following? Just to ensure they get good visitor numbers to each?

But then when you consider Alton said they want to develop something big in 2016 on the LTDP, will they decide to develop it the same year as Thorpe? And if they do, will it be of the same good quality as we want it to be, or will the funding be slashed for each because of the distribution of money between Thorpe & Alton?

Obviously, you cannot go by 'word of mouth' from this guy doing the talk, but it's looking like he could be right, considering no planning permission has been released for Thorpe to be able to get something open for 2015, so will it be a double year in 2016 of big investment, or will it be seperated and Towers get pushed back like Thorpe have?

^ Apparently, Thorpe's next major investment has been pushed back to 2017 to avoid this issue.

Also, investment at Alton Towers is far higher than at Thorpe. I don't think what happens in Staines is going to directly affect Farley.

Think investment tends to depend on returns at the moment, rumour is Thorpe are struggling financially whereas as far as I can gather Towers is doing quite well. The caprice of the fates based on their income will effect the investment timetable to a degree.

NO! I wouldn't mind a large refurbishment but not a re-theme of Duel! Its great the way it is, and the area works so well. Its 10,000,000,000 times better than Dark Forest!

Look sweetie, we all liked Duel when we were 14, but we have to let these things go. It's simply a terrible ride, I hate to break it to you.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.