• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: Theme Park Developments

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Look sweetie, we all liked Duel when we were 14, but we have to let these things go. It's simply a terrible ride, I hate to break it to you.
So you'd prefer to have it replaced with a Merlin designed dark ride? As I doubt they'd want to get rid of the transit system.

I suspect that if they were spending a good £15m on it, they would completely gut the ride building and start from scratch. The transit system is ancient and I doubt they'd want that millstone around their neck when designing a completely new ride.

^ I think that the ride system is perfect. It has the capability to surprise riders by suddenly speeding up, it has a nice and high capacity and it's layout uses the maximum amount of space for scenes available in the building.

^ I think that the ride system is perfect. It has the capability to surprise riders by suddenly speeding up, it has a nice and high capacity and it's layout uses the maximum amount of space for scenes available in the building.

You're presuming that they'd want another dark ride with standard old sitdown cars. What if they wanted cars with motion on more than one axis - the capability to spin and tilt for example? Any dark ride worth its salt does this now, and for that I can't imagine they could use the existing track.

^ I'm not saying that I think they'd want to keep it. All I'm saying is that I personally think it is very cleverly done and should't leave, but that is JUST MY OPINION.

Oh there's no doubt it's a clever system - it's still pretty damn sophisticated in this day and age and if they got Mack in to properly service it then it would probably work really well.

The trouble is that no matter how good a re theme the place was given - keeping the current system limits them somewhat. People expect movement and tilting and turning etc now as that's the way dark rides are going.

The current hardware really is clever - but it's not world class anymore.

We need a dark ride to tide the park over.

Let Thorpe build a RMC wood hybrid and then Alton get one better :D

I'd rather see a dark ride over a SW for the next 'big' year. The park is pretty secured with roller coasters for a good while now, they need to concentrate on other ride types to give the park a good balance.

As much as Duel's system is still amazing even to this day, gutting out the warehouse and removing the system will be the best way to go to modernise that building. They can still incorporate a haunted house type theme, but with a more dramatic system that meets up to the needs of a modern audience.

Towers struggle for planning permission with buildings, if they build a big new dark ride it will almost certainly go in Duel or Charlie... Unless they post lucky in coaster corner, but that's unlikely.

I really do think that we will see a new dark ride in the Duel building for 2016. Of course it will still keep a haunted theme as there's no way they are going to build a new high quality facade for the building like we have now!

:)

Of course it will still keep a haunted theme as there's no way they are going to build a new high quality facade for the building like we have now!

Indeed. though I wouldn't put it past them to tear down the whole frontage of Duel and replace it with flat MDF covered in stickers.

I am sure that's what we will get in 2016 as next big ride, I am sure the medium term plan stated major dark ride planned for 2016 and recent comments about something happening with duel seem to all add up.

What ride system would they use though is the big question, it's a large enough building for a lot of available ride systems. I have a feeling we will see merlins first multi motion 4d dark ride, that would at least give them a uk marketing advantage. The cost of these systems now affordable for parks like Alton as other parks have recently shown. There is also rumours that Thorpe getting major dark ride in 2016 as well.

As good as the facade is I would hope they did change it as if it is indeed the next major addition I think they would want to look completely different so people clearly no a completely different ride.

The problem with a Doctor Who IP, it would need refreshing every few years to keep up with the current Doctor.

And that's just something I can't see Merlin being able to do.

The problem with a Doctor Who IP, it would need refreshing every few years to keep up with the current Doctor.

And that's just something I can't see Merlin being able to do.

Is that necessarily true, though? I don't know why, but I can see a shooting gallery style set-up, blasting Daleks and Cybermen and such with some kind of 'sonic device'. The Doctor's role in such a ride could thus be kept minimal.

EDIT: I got mixed up and thought this was the Thorpe Park thread, apologies.

A Doctor Who attraction wouldn't be that hard to refresh, permitting it was a dark ride that relies on projections (which sadly seems to be the norm now). All they would need to do is get the current Doctor to film the same segment in a studio, easy enough to do as they could get that done alongside a series filming.

Forgive the NOOB but isnt there a 2015 thread? everyone seems to be talking about 2 years away, is there nothing planned for next year at all due to the new accommodation being built?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.