• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
New here so maybe it's already been answered but would a cross valley coaster impact on the gardens?
Would it be visible as you look down the valley from the gardens?
Love the idea of a new coaster but the gardens are lovely as they are. Something that I don't think many people (understandably) make the most of when visiting the park.
Would hate that tranquil place to be "ruined" by a coaster or any other ride for that matter.

I think it's already been said, the cross valley would have been in the wood behind the pagoda. It's path would have been a rough straight line from near thirteen towards air.

I still think they have have a portion of the new coaster running into the valley with a wave/fan turn on the other side of the valley not quite running towards Dark Forrest. This could for the usp as the coaster having the largest drop on a wooden coaster. After the valley portion the coaster could run towards the woods and lake behind haunted hollow creating a ground hugging air time head hopper section.

It's always been anticipated that if there ever would be a cross valley woodie, it wouldn't touch the Gardens at all. The impact on the view would be minimal, and I'm sure a few extra trees to ensure the coaster is blocked out completely wouldn't go amiss.

As far as impact your spot on Danny, I think Alton would try and create how the beast in Kings island.
My hopes for the ride would be a rmc coaster like outlaw run with topper track opposed to iron horse. A couple of sneaky hidden inversions chucked in for fun.

They wouldnt be able to touch the gardens, they are protected. As is some of the valley. However, I do echo your concerns about noise travelling into the gardens, which, at present, are remarkably tranquil and peaceful given you have rides on either side of them.

As much as I love the Gardens, let's not give them any reasons to avoid building this highly desired coaster on here for now ;)

I'm sure if they either build in sound shields or plant conifers or other thick foliage trees next the track the sound could be absorbed if going into the valley.
The route could be far enough away to create the soft sound of screams you do hear in the gardens. Also isn't topper track or iron horse extremely quiet?

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be a log flume-type ride?

There is no reason why it wouldn't be no. The screening opinion never explicitly mentions the word "rollercoaster" - it's merely implied. It is unlikely however that they would construct a flume in FV, given its lack of existing water features in comparison to an area like where the current Log Flume is. Also, it's unlikely that multiple areas of the ride would require sound tunnels if it was merely a flume.

I can't see it being anything other than a wooden coaster, whether it will go across the valley or just briefly into it though remains to be seen (although the long term development plan does say that there will be 2 big rides built between now and 2019/2020, one of which may be a cross valley ride). Like GaryH said about modified steel rails, that is exactly what RMC topper track is, a lot of people say that because of the topper track they aren't really wooden rollercoasters, but when you consider that all wooden coasters actually have steel rails that the wheels roll along then why aren't RMC's considered wood by some people. All they have done is extended the "usual" steel on wood coasters to add more strength so to allow inversions and more extreme elements.

The only type of coaster rmc do which is question in my mind is the iron horse. I.e iron rattler, new texas giant, medusa, iron twister etc.
Topper tarck is just thicker steel that is more hard wearing that protects the wood laminate below it. Look at some of the coasters rmc have revamped in places with topper track. The coasters are still classed as woodies. The big difference with new built topper tack woodies (outlaw run) is that they can be engineered to do more extreme elements along the track.

Me saying rmc for Alton does not mean any other woodie coaster company may be in line for this, as GG and GGI Inc may be involved, as they have also said or built an inversion woodie

Honestly I would like either a wooden coaster or a Mack Launch like Helix. But I doubt either would happen.

Honestly I would like either a wooden coaster or a Mack Launch like Helix. But I doubt either would happen.
Why would you doubt it would be a wooden coaster, we know that it will be constructed using wooden trusses, what else could it be?

I meant SW8. I imagine a woodie will come soon but not SW8.
So what you meant was you do think the 2017 coaster in forbidden valley will be a wooden coaster, but will not have the SW8 codename?

I expect this to be the World's first Launched Inverting Wooden Coaster, and so would assume that will come with the SW tag.

I'm with dazza on this, a large scale development with environmental impacts (possibly), huge research with the council. Sounds to me like its a SW. If you look at their other coasters without the SW tag, they have been built within the general development areas set within the park, apart from smiler. But that coaster was of substantial invenstment.
I can imagine this being of a similar budget due to all of the planning/environmental research on the impact this coaster could have.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.