• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
My biggest fear is reduced capacity rides. We all know 2 trains shouldn't ever be in the same block section, but after this incident it wouldn't surprise me if the H&S & marketing nuts at Towers opt for a 'single train' policy to try and boost public confidence in the park.
Although public confidence in the safety of it may be increased, I don't think anyone will be too happy with waiting 3 or 4 hours for every ride if they all go to 1 train.

Multi-train works, if Sonic Spinball can work without incident with the number of carts they have, then there's no reason for SW8 to have to go single-train. What happened on the Smiler is ridiculously rare, and as a result of the incident, will become rarer still.

If SW8 is indeed a Woody through the valley, and evidence seems to point that way, this is the most exciting news to me since Oblivion.

If it is wooden, I seriously doubt that it will be multi-car. I think Merlin will take the Big Dipper incident into account and make sure it has only one or two car at most. I sure hope that it is something big, I think the park do need it- they need to bring the public back to the park

I really hope that it is something big, and they dont lie down and go small

If it is wooden, I seriously doubt that it will be multi-car. I think Merlin will take the Big Dipper incident into account and make sure it has only one or two car at most. I sure hope that it is something big, I think the park do need it- they need to bring the public back to the park

I really hope that it is something big, and they dont lie down and go small

What utter rubbish. The Big Dipper incident? How does that in any way have relevance to a modern wooden coaster? It will have as many trains as allow for the best capacity, likely three going off coasters such as Wodan. Accidents like The Smiler should never happen, and will probably never happen again at Towers.

Won't it also depend on the length of the ride? If it's the length similar to say Nemesis, then I don't think it would even need three trains. (Then again, I don't know the length of SW8 so I'm probably wrong)

Won't it also depend on the length of the ride? If it's the length similar to say Nemesis, then I don't think it would even need three trains. (Then again, I don't know the length of SW8 so I'm probably wrong)

Of course if it was not too long then it would only need two trains. Most modern woodie's are of decent length though, I think you'd struggle to find one as short as Nemesis.

Reactions: Ted
Of course if it was not too long then it would only need two trains. Most modern woodie's are of decent length though, I think you'd struggle to find one as short as Nemesis.

GUL_antelope.jpg

Well that wasn't too difficult ;) (hello again, childhood)

Whats that, the Antelope at one of the Gulliver's parks? I cant remember really ;)

I dont want SW8 to be a woodie, although it looks to be going that way. Im just wondering if it may even be pushed back to 2018 with the loss of money from Merlin given the Smiler incident

Why wouldn't you want a woodie? Some of the newer ones are amazing!

This is correct actually, a lot of woodies at major parks tend to be 3,000+ in length. So three trains is probably a must :p

Multi-train works, if Sonic Spinball can work without incident with the number of carts they have, then there's no reason for SW8 to have to go single-train. What happened on the Smiler is ridiculously rare, and as a result of the incident, will become rarer still.

If SW8 is indeed a Woody through the valley, and evidence seems to point that way, this is the most exciting news to me since Oblivion.
Merlin and Alton Towers as a whole has a superb safety and reliability record compared to M&Ds up in Scotland which is almost guaranteed having both its coasters out of action at some point in the day. I think SW8 will replace the smiler in terms of location. SW8 will be a multi loop inversion ride which will not be over adventurous with thrill and reliability being key. Then potentially a cross valley in some way for SW9 probably not a woodie as Merlin will now be perceived as unsafe. This is an assumption that smiler will not re-open or does re-open and have a significantly reduced rider number over the course of next season.

Merlin and Alton Towers as a whole has a superb safety and reliability record compared to M&Ds up in Scotland which is almost guaranteed having both its coasters out of action at some point in the day. I think SW8 will replace the smiler in terms of location. SW8 will be a multi loop inversion ride which will not be over adventurous with thrill and reliability being key. Then potentially a cross valley in some way for SW9 probably not a woodie as Merlin will now be perceived as unsafe. This is an assumption that smiler will not re-open or does re-open and have a significantly reduced rider number over the course of next season.

I can categorically tell you that a) Alton Towers already know what SW8 will be, and are already deep into the process of designing the ride itself and b) there is absolutely no way Alton Towers will remove its 2 year old, £18m coaster. Just to humour you for a second, there is certainly no way they would ever replace it with a "multi loop inversion ride" - ie. the exact same thing it replaced.

Also, not sure if you noticed, but The Smiler is a steel coaster. So how would the incident on that cause people to think wooden coasters are unsafe?

There are more holes in your post than at JCB's proposed golf course.

I can categorically tell you that a) Alton Towers already know what SW8 will be, and are already deep into the process of designing the ride itself and b) there is absolutely no way Alton Towers will remove its 2 year old, £18m coaster. Just to humour you for a second, there is certainly no way they would ever replace it with a "multi loop inversion ride" - ie. the exact same thing it replaced.

Also, not sure if you noticed, but The Smiler is a steel coaster. So how would the incident on that cause people to think wooden coasters are unsafe?

As soon as I heard about the crash I thought it would be Smiler's final straw due to it's early problems and that they would replace or upgrade it with a multi loop inversion not to leave a hole in the variety of rides they have. It is now of great importance to Merlin to make Smiler and SW8 as close to bullet proof as possible. People may have a general safety problem with what ever type of ride SW8 is after the crash.

I agree that Alton have probably finished planning SW8 but we have heard no official confirmation of planning being granted so I believe Smiler replacement is still a possibility until official SW8 location announcement.

As soon as I heard about the crash I thought it would be Smiler's final straw due to it's early problems and that they would replace or upgrade it with a multi loop inversion not to leave a hole in the variety of rides they have. It is now of great importance to Merlin to make Smiler and SW8 as close to bullet proof as possible. People may have a general safety problem with what ever type of ride SW8 is after the crash.

Firstly, please try to post all of your message in one post :) Just go back and edit it rather than double posting.

I agree that Alton have probably finished planning SW8 but we have heard no official confirmation of planning being granted so I believe Smiler replacement is still a possibility until official SW8 location announcement.

We have already seen a Formal Screening Opinion submitted by Alton Towers, which confirmed that they are looking to build a wooden coaster in the vicinity of Forbidden Valley. I am open to the possibility of them changing the location though, and at a stretch perhaps even the ride type. What they will not do is replace The Smiler.

Firstly, please try to post all of your message in one post :) Just go back and edit it rather than double posting.

We have already seen a Formal Screening Opinion submitted by Alton Towers, which confirmed that they are looking to build a wooden coaster in the vicinity of Forbidden Valley. I am open to the possibility of them changing the location though, and at a stretch perhaps even the ride type. What they will not do is replace The Smiler.
Was not aware of the Formal Screening Opinion and is there any information on the outcome or is it still ongoing? The smiler will probably be closed for the rest of the season and work will probably be done to make the Smiler more reliable and if that fails there only option will be to replace the smiler but first we must wait to find the cause of the crash before we can get any idea if its future is sustainable.

Was not aware of the Formal Screening Opinion and is there any information on the outcome or is it still ongoing? The smiler will probably be closed for the rest of the season and work will probably be done to make the Smiler more reliable and if that fails there only option will be to replace the smiler but first we must wait to find the cause of the crash before we can get any idea if its future is sustainable.

Yes, there was an outcome - you can read the document here.

I won't even continue to argue with you over the replacement of The Smiler issue. It won't occur, under any circumstances.

Yes, there was an outcome - you can read the document here.

I won't even continue to argue with you over the replacement of The Smiler issue. It won't occur, under any circumstances.
Thanks for linking the outcome and I guess we will find out in the next couple of years about the Smilers future and I would be more than happy to be held on my opinion if proven wrong but I would be more than happy to see smiler stay open.

Im sorry man, and im not going to carry on the argument past here, but there js no way the Smiler is going, no way. Merlin values money too much, if they remove SW7 they lose millions of profit, and arguably their current flagship ride. Unlesss it is absolutely necessary as a last option, they will, but thats theonly scenario that it will be removed

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.