• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm not sure how this tuned into a "will The Smiler be replaced by SW8" debate? The Smiler is staying, period.

Unless something catastrophic happens, which is even less probable now as Merlin have been forced to realise the problems The Smiler had. Don't expect it to go anywhere in the next 10 - 15 years.

Last edited:
Coasters have killed people, de-railed and all sorts but remain open. The Smiler isn't going anywhere. Although as I said in 2013 not long after it opened, I do not expect it to have the lifespan of other major coasters at Towers and would not be surprised if it is gone in 10 years.

Anyway that is a bit off-topic. Coasters are safe, woodies are safe, SW8 will be safe. If a few people are put off because of what happened then so be it. By 2017 Towers will hopefully be past this incident and guests will be looking forward to the park's new offering. There are no reasons why plans should change.

:)

I'd be tempted to question whether SW8 will happen in the same period it was originally planned now, with the fallout from The Smiler incident.

I'd be tempted to question whether SW8 will happen in the same period it was originally planned now, with the fallout from The Smiler incident.

I see no reason why it shouldn't. Towers will want to carry on as normally as possible following this. Delaying new attractions would be the wrong way to go about it and keep the incident fresh in people's minds for even longer.

If anything, Towers will push out the SW8 bandwagon even earlier, to get people talking about that instead...

Whether they open this in 2017 or 2022, the press will act the same ('Alton Towers announces new coaster after Smiler horror crash in 2015') and the general public will act the same (80% 'wow a new ride', 20% 'never going to that death trap of a park again, they should be banned from building new rides').

Keeping SW8 on it's planned course is how they will be keeping things. They really need to get it right though and make sure ground works start early and it's planned thoroughly so we don't end up with a Smiler repeat throughout the construction (although I'm sure they've done all that anyway).

Ok couple of questions that have probably already been posted but there are more than 500 posts on here and I don't have time to read them all:
  1. Is it definitely a wooden coaster?
  2. What is so good about wood coasters anyway?
  3. Is it going in the valley between FV and DF?
  4. Will it be called a new area or classed as a existing one?
  5. When is this ride ment to open?
  6. Who is designing it company/person?
  7. Will there be a record breaking/world first element?
I know it is too early for some of these questions but I would appreciate any answers.

1. Things can change but the document previously submitted to the council said it was a wooden structure.
2. Wood generally feels more out of control than steel coasters. Go to Blackpool and find out for yourself.
3 & 4 no one knows for certain. But previous wooden plans had a station where thirteen is now and the current rumours are of Blade and Ripsaw leaving or moving.
5 & 6 no one knows for certain.
7 knowing AT and Merlin, it will have something unique for marketing.

If you want a good woody, don't go to Blackpool, you'll probably never want to ride one again! :p

Personally, I don't understand the fapp-fest over wood. Some of the newer ones are great rides, sure, but I still maintain that anything wood can do, steel can do.

For question 6, it is extremely likely to be made by either GCI, Gravity Group or RMC. And for question 2, it's not purely that wood is better, it's just that a wooden coaster at Alton Towers would give a sensation of forces (mainly negative and lateral G-forces) that are oddly inexistent at such a large theme park.

1. Things can change but the document previously submitted to the council said it was a wooden structure.
2. Wood generally feels more out of control than steel coasters. Go to Blackpool and find out for yourself.
3 & 4 no one knows for certain. But previous wooden plans had a station where thirteen is now and the current rumours are of Blade and Ripsaw leaving or moving.
5 & 6 no one knows for certain.
7 knowing AT and Merlin, it will have something unique for marketing.

For question 6, it is extremely likely to be made by either GCI, Gravity Group or RMC. And for question 2, it's not purely that wood is better, it's just that a wooden coaster at Alton Towers would give a sensation of forces (mainly negative and lateral G-forces) that are oddly inexistent at such a large theme park.
Thanks. Know some of these questions are unanswerable at this time but genuinely wasn't expecting that many to be possible to answer yet.

I have never been on a wooden coaster before so have no idea. I guessed it was something to do with the planing permission, making it blend in better and look more natural but your answer sounds better.

Terra Mitica have a fantastic woodie. Want to experience what woods all about, go ride that and see:)

Got to admit it's not a woodie that I have heard great things about. Just re-watched a POV and aside from the cool looking double-drop it looks boring compared to modern woodies. And it's meant to be quite rough!

The best examples of world class modern woodies in Europe from my experience are Troy at Toverland and Wodan at Europa-Park. Both relentless!

Woodies I've heard good things about in Europe are Tonnere De Zeus in Asterix, Wodan in Europa, Joris De Draak in Efteling, Baldar in Liseberg and Troy in Tover.

I'm still yet to do a European woodie, but have done all the Blackpool ones and megafobia and thoroughly enjoy them.

Balder is a bit of a meh fest. The corners are less thrilling than a Big Apple and the airtime isn't as incredible as I was led to believe. The first drop and one of the airtime hills are arguably the only highlights.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.