• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Slightly off topic but i'm still a bit concerned about towers not having a flume ride of some sort! Just hope whatever replaces CATCF is a flume!

:)

Slightly off topic but i'm still a bit concerned about towers not having a flume ride of some sort! Just hope whatever replaces CATCF is a flume!

:)

I can imagine some sort of water ride being developed down that end of the park with possibly more space being opened up along the side of cloud cocko land towards coaster corner

^^ yep, need to get rid of all that wasted space behind IceAge, build something and open up access to the Flag Tower again :)
I've been wanting this for years, it'll never happen tho :(

QdCV5Ka.jpg

^^ yep, need to get rid of all that wasted space behind IceAge, build something qand open up access to the Flag Tower again :)
I've been wanting this for years, it'll never happen tho :(

QdCV5Ka.jpg

Massive dark ride potential in my eyes.

Just hope the new guys know what they are doing...

Oh sod it.. I'll just say what we're all thinking.

We want Wardley!
We want Wardley!
We want Wardley!

Just do or pay whatever it takes to get him back, give him full creative control, like in 1994, light the blue touchpaper and stand back.

I emailed John Wardley about this, and this is his reply:
"I have no involvement with the current Alton Towers project, so I can neither confirm nor deny whether the ride you mention is a woodie.. If, as you say, the plans for the new ride are a woodie, then it looks as if my long-held ambition to create a woodie at Alton Towers have been thwarted! If Alton Towers wanted any assistance from me, then I'd be more than happy to be involved, but otherwise I'm sure the project is in very capable hands."

Last time Wardley made it clear that he was not involved in a project, he was talking about Spinball and Rita.

... Read in to that what you will.

Why does everyone hate Rita and Spinball so much? I know, practically no theming at all. But they are decent rides. I think the park needs more spinball kinda rides.

The queues are always huge, and when I do give in to going on it. It makes me p**s myself. Such a laugh.

EDIT:

For all the b**ching everyone does about the rides I'm surprised Merlin even try as hard as they do. Don't get me wrong I'm no Merlin fan boy. But even when they do put in a decent ride people moan. But I suppose it's down to tastes and opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Rita ruined what once was the best area on park, and Spinball is just an eyesore.

I think people generally don't like either because they look like (and are) rides just plonked there, with not a whole lot of planning or thought behind them.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I agree that Rita was plonked there, but... Best area? Ug Land!? Well...

And Spinball I agree isn't in any specific area. Don't agree it's an eyesore. And even if it was, it feels good to ride. Isn't that the main point?

I guess it comes down to ideology really. Spinball and Rita are both good rides, IMO, but they don't suit Towers. It all comes down to what you think a theme park should be. For me, Phantasialand and Efteling are great examples of what theme parks should be, with all the rides having a story of some kind along with buttloads of scenery.

Look at Nemesis, it has a story and the setting of a great theme ride. Similar with Thirteen, the setting and story work together to make a great theme ride (blahblah, something about track and train). Rita is just plonked there and left. Same with Spinball. I guess it doesn't help that they're both fairly standard models, as opposed to the more custom layouts elsewhere in the park.

The original ug land sums up the glory days. Unique, atmospheric and fun. That's what people miss.

My issue with Rita isn't the ride it just shows a complete lack of understanding of how a theme park should work. It just doesn't flow. It reminds me of rct when you first got it just plonking rides anywhere to make money fast

Ps don't get me started on spitball it ruins the best view of any theme park in the world in my opinion

Both Rita and Spinball came about in DIC times when they where knee jerk additions to keep up with the roller coaster trends of the time.
At least since those two coasters, each large attraction has seen thought and story put into them (to varying success).

With UG land, it was a fantastic area before Rita cut it in half. Bright, colourful and fun.

Ironic really DIC had the capital at the time to build the rides 13 and smiler could have been (in terms of themeing quality not hardware) but never invested properly.

To be fair to Merlin I think they have the ideas but not the execution.
I liken it to taking a girl on a date when she is thinking your going Michelin star and she ends up going to McDonalds.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.