• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I was hoping that they would replace the flume with another water ride.

Never fear, Merlin will probably stick £3 for 10 shot water cannons near the coaster.

I do hope that there are plans to install a log flume elsewhere in the park and within in the next couple of years. I don't expect the hugest log flume in the world but if they could get it near CATCF that would be a great area for families spilling out of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Last edited:
If they were to try and build a new water ride they would need a water treatment plant because of water regulations that have come in since, they probably think that is too much hassle for one new ride. Also a smokehouse restaurant, has anyone tried the Chessington one yet?

Yes I agree that most things point to a woodie....

But I'm going for a 4D B&M prototype, based on "something" happening on the latter part of the lift hill. This could be the seats spinning before the drop.....just throwing this in the mix

I'm sure they would build a new flume ride but in a new area, possibly coaster corner. They could give it a Merlin interpretation of Dudley Do Rights (on a much lesser budget and quality).

A 4D B&M prototype this will not be, there is not enough space to that type of ride justice. Also said above in this topic, the banners very much point to a pirate adventure family attraction.

Alton Towers have tweeted this response to someone asking for clues about SW8:

@TylerChris012 The clues started years ago, Tyler:

accompanied by this pic.

6087277186_dc50db6188_b.jpg

Pretty much confirms a B&M or Intamin ride.
, ABC rides are base in Switzerland and they make water rides

Why wouldn't they?, just because Sub Terra was a flop ABC have a proven record with water rides like Storm Force Ten. I was also reading on the planning application that this ride could create some extra water overspill above what the flume did, so that suggest to me a water ride.

Why wouldn't they?, just because Sub Terra was a flop ABC have a proven record with water rides like Storm Force Ten. I was also reading on the planning application that this ride could create some extra water overspill above what the flume did, so that suggest to me a water ride.

Where does it state that?? Mind showing the extract? Also when was that poster tweeted it's a very old poster....

I said at the beginning that I feel b&m and that this poster was a clue several years back to what is planned. intamin or b&m water coaster or intamin woodie or b&m 4d for me. I think we can rule out the current trio on fashion for woodies

I think the section about extra overspill is because they're getting rid of the lake, meaning any extra rain will need to go somewhere else

I'd be very surprised if this is the final layout, I'm not sure how this site works but I remember The Smiler layout being different to the plans as there was no need to apply for planning permission for the site as it already had existing permission from the Black Hole. I have a feeling this will be the same and the application is for something outside the existing area. Essentially they could put whatever layout they liked into the flume site.

The Smiler's layout plan was only different in the number of inversions, they made some of them look like hills and twists but following the same path.

This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy. Plans really aren't designed to do anything other than portray information. Of course they're accurate! Smiler was a very clever trick, but ultimately the ride was identical to the plans. It's very likely this is a preliminary layout but I can't imagine we'll be seeing many major changes. Why would they create a plan for a ride they're not going to build? It's just nonsensical. If this were a poster on park then yes, they might be having a bit of fun, but this is a plan plucked from the depths of an official document.

Just like the publicity shots of the towers having a Vekoma SLC in their marketing shots.

The plan we see is the probable layout for this ride, I just hope they don't keep the lift hill with twin pitches, it will look just odd, unless it's themed at the change of angle.

A few observations from the plans, the track in the possible preshow area is shown to be lower than existing ground level, could this be a covered / tunnel section with a Blue Fire style pre show with the lift hill emerging from below ground similar to air (/galactica)? Also at the low points in the existing lake area ride levels are close to bed level pretty much confirming that the lake will be drained.

The second longest straight is shown to drop in the exact same spot as the current flume final drop., so we will still be able to experience a drop in the same old location, just in a different way! In profile, the ride generally follows existing ground pretty well, never really exceeding more than 10m in height but still having 20m elevation change by using the existing terrain.

Looking forward to seeing the full planning app in a few weeks ☺

Reactions: Sku
With Smiler all they had to do was slightly alter the layout, I can't see them telling the company that drew up those documents to make a fake layout and stick some random high and low points on it. It may change a bit but I can't imagine it being far off, as these documents are being used to assess how feasible the ride is, there's not much point going to the time and expense, or wasting the council's, getting a decision on whether they can go ahead with something they don't intend to build.

Reactions: Dar
On one of the plans it show what building are to be removed, it highlights the flume's track to be removed but it's showing the station to remain in place, am I reading the plan right?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.