• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Not suprised they're pushing back major investments. The parks issues now stem from lack trust - people don't see Alton Towers as safe anymore. Major investments in roller coasters (or any major attractions) would most likely see little to no return on investment until they fix that - especially if that ride was wood which already had a questionable reputation amongst the general public.

I'd expect very brand focused campaigns over the next few years, with small to medium investments only.

As I see it, Alton have to invest with something major and quite quickly too. Regardless on whether you liked the Smiler or not, it drew in the general public. With it out of action for so long, it will have this reputation of being unsafe and whilst I expect people to ride on it, I do not expect it to be busy as it once was, this will only happen years down the line when the industry has probably got a 16 inversion coaster

Whilst the general improvements are welcomed for this year, it is not a way to bring back the public. They want something exciting. Whether it was due to the throughputs on the more family orientated rides, but weren't they always busier than the stand out attractions post incident? Or was that just the days that I went?

As much as I wouldn't want a hybrid woodie at the towers (I'd prefer a proper one, 20 years since Megafobia is too long!), I feel it could balance the gap between the families that kept on visiting (do the hybrids have a smaller height restriction than 1.4m?) but equally bring back the thrill seeking public to experience something new without breaking the bank too much.

I fear, without some big attraction soon, we will end up with another American Adventure on our hands, yes it will take time as Alton is more established than American Adventure ever was but, I can't see it going any other way, if the next couple of seasons are not dealt with in the right way.

I don't agree, I think the only way out of this is long term, in a way merlin are being clever using what it bound to be a quiet few years to lavish some care and attention. The fact it's quite means they can close bits off and upgrade it mid season without causing too many problems. (hopefully or its all going to go wrong and turn lightwater Valley)

The TLC has posted this on their Twitter account
CdsF5FFW0AI7iAh.jpg

Coaster on the Flume site anyone?

Beat you too it just but yep looks like the flume, makes sense it will go there, ground breaking? Going underground!

Beat you too it just but yep looks like the flume, makes sense it will go there, ground breaking? Going underground!

Damn you! :p

I think this is a good idea. Although really depending on the size of the coaster, I hope they'll be able to squeeze a log flume in there as well, unless they're planning to fit one in CCL.

Although do have to remember the infamous "secret weapon from Switzerland" poster a few years back ;)

Sorry but due to the water having to be contained and chlorinated not sure a log flume will be returning and if it does its not going to be on the size or scale of the old one. Subterranean wooden hyper coaster would be my request lol. Least we are back talking about Sw8 not closures and cut backs

They wouldn't be promoting SW8 this year if it was pushed back to 2018 surely?

Also, I really hope this isn't another coaster, (unless its absolutely amazing) I want some sort of water ride/coaster replacement, like Chiapas!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
I was hoping for a new water ride to be honest. But with the SW title associated with it, it's more than likely going to be a coaster, which I'm still happy with!
Is the site in the general development zone? Ie it wouldn't require planning permission?

Would explain why there hasn't been any planning application noticed so far, if you think about it that is a very large site with potential to extend into other areas around there, Sw8 could be huge. Something along the lines of the jurassic Park water ride at universal would be fun.

Nor the height allowance. A water / coaster hybrid would be great as long as it isn't as painful as Poseidon's Fury at Seaworld Orlando. I'm not at all familiar with newer water rides in all honesty - have there been any recent exciting developments?

Valhala of the Midlands. Thorpe has just had a stack of bucks spent in ghost train so who knows towers mat get a big budget too. Although there are less planning restrictions in this location it sure they will be able to clear the trees and build a building so I think we are still looking at a ride with a track as such.

There would definitely be a budget for a large scale dark/water ride. But never anything to compare to Jurassic Park River Adventure.

Here begins the many months of speculation and rumors!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.