• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They were still turned off on Thursday just gone and I presume that they will either remain off for good unless they modify the boats to prevent people falling out or alternatively it may also depend on the final outcome of the inquest into the DMP accident

With the waterfalls turned off, that section dose look very dull and boring
Not only that, due to the stagnant water in the troughs that particular area is starting to become quite smelly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did anyone ever get wet as a result of the waterfalls? the flowing water form the waterfalls always seemed to push the boat away from the falls and to the centre

I was absolutely drenched once on it, don't know why it happened. Might've been due to the wind or a different setting that was used that seemed to push one half of the boat a lot closer to one side of the waterfalls.

Did anyone ever get wet as a result of the waterfalls? the flowing water form the waterfalls always seemed to push the boat away from the falls and to the centre
Ive seen at certain times if you leave the previous turn at a certain angle you will hit the righthand fall and get wet wet wet.

The waterfalls had been even more wet than usual earlier this season! But yes, I am afraid that they are still off and will remain off until next season at least.

Needless to say that the weather was perfect over the weekend, and you would expect a theme park like Alton Towers to be rammed. I cannot comment regarding Sunday but on Saturday Nemesis was walk on all day, Rita's queue didn't seem to go above 20 minutes, the Rapids (in scorching heat) was only 20 minutes and even The Smiler had reasonable queue lengths.

If the park was operating at full capacity (i.e. no closed rides, all existing rides on maximum capacity) then with the crowd level that was seen on Saturday queues would have been almost non-existent. That's just not right for a Saturday in June with unbroken sunshine. If SW8 does not increase guest numbers significantly then I really fear for the direction of the park in the future. This cannot be sustainable.

:)

Can't believe they still have the waterfalls off. There's health and safety and there's over reacting. This is over reacting.

While the Smiler crash may still be a factor, I am sure the main factor which is keeping people away is the cost. Even though I have a MAP I find myself going less and less each year of late. I cant recall the last time I actually booked a hotel stay through their website (last time was a Groupon deal) and when I look at a weekend break its just ridiculously expensive.

If they want to get people in to the park perhaps consider:

- a summer event (summer nights, late night opening, live music, Alton beach again, and event on the lawn infront of the towers)

- reduced prices for week day admission (not just in advance but also on the gate)

- cheaper hotel packages (perhaps an all inclusive option)

- an OAP ticket! Yes, not kidding, but lots of grandparents would like to spend the day with their grand children and families but why pay £50 and not go on any rides?! A senior citizen ticket might encourage them to go along, visit the gardens etc .

Can't believe they still have the waterfalls off. There's health and safety and there's over reacting. This is over reacting.

I agree to an extent. It is however the one point of the ride where people stood up on a regular basis, if you were to watch boats go through the waterfalls for a while then chances are people would be standing on a fair few of them. They must feel that the risk there is too high at present and they will no want any bad press when someone decides to go to the tabloids claiming that people are still standing up on the rapids.

Reactions: pj
Well thats easy to fit - put frickin laser beams at stood up head level with a warning that if anyone stands up their heads will fall off.

Seriously though , once upon a time people used to take responsibility for their own actions, thesedays, its always someone else's fault!

How about a great big sign before the waterfalls telling people not to stand up and if you do then Alton Towers are not liable!

Sad times :(

Well thats easy to fit - put frickin laser beams at stood up head level with a warning that if anyone stands up their heads will fall off.

Seriously though , once upon a time people used to take responsibility for their own actions, thesedays, its always someone else's fault!

How about a great big sign before the waterfalls telling people not to stand up and if you do then Alton Towers are not liable!

Sad times :(
Absolutely spot on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Alton Towers simply cannot afford the huge amount of bad press that they would recieve if someone was to fall in to the rapids. Whether they are responsible or not is irrelvant, chances are an incident like that at Drayton would be front page news. They are doing all they can at the moment to minimise the risk with the Rapids and ensure maximum safety. I suspect that we could see new safety measures next year that mean the waterfalls can be turned back on.

I do not like that they are off at the moment, it looks awful for a start. But I fully understand it. Blame our awful press and those that continue to buy the Mail, Mirror, Sun et al.

I think you answered this point with your other point...

Whether it be the rider, the media or both - the fact that someone ends up in the water would be considered to be the fault of the park, not the rider - almost irrespective of the circumstances. The lack of personal responsibility on the part of some (!) riders means that the park has taken additional measures for all.

Has anybody ever fallen out of the rapids at Alton towers?

I think Its a massive over reaction personally
People have been in the water over the years. For a variety of reasons.

It seems some TLC is currently taking place at the Waterpark as Wacky Water Works is closed this week. There are some new slide pieces there too, which is exciting!

c3a1e36069ea33b64cad28a5e0319d1a.jpg

2c96808f06659f3f54a73a044f01c3da.jpg

ae13da603b10e767de6d6851b6a07118.jpg

edb98becf52c3f4f2d5bf1f5cb316e59.jpg

cc77543dcefd05a92cf90b97acfd5a9b.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.