• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Am I right in thinking that the pathway to Katanga being used this season is the old entrance path to the Rapids before Katanga was built? I remember accessing the rapids from the Aqua Land side in the pre KC days but can't remember how?

Am I right in thinking that the pathway to Katanga being used this season is the old entrance path to the Rapids before Katanga was built? I remember accessing the rapids from the Aqua Land side in the pre KC days but can't remember how?

There has been a path going south of the rapids straight to Gloomy Wood, but it is normally only opened on Fireworks nights. You can see it here https://goo.gl/maps/QDzy9KCf3UQ2 on Google Maps aerial photo. The path starts next to the Mutiny Bay burger kitchen, I assume they have just joined it up with the other side of the Flume site near haunted hollow instead.

There has been a path going south of the rapids straight to Gloomy Wood, but it is normally only opened on Fireworks nights. You can see it here https://goo.gl/maps/QDzy9KCf3UQ2 on Google Maps aerial photo. The path starts next to the Mutiny Bay burger kitchen, I assume they have just joined it up with the other side of the Flume site near haunted hollow instead.
Thanks. I thought the old Rapids entrance was the one next to Burger Kitchen but couldnt place the path on the map that joins with it to the south of the SW8 site. It looks like this adjoining path starts near the info booth in mutiny bay, which I believe was part of the old park railway so maybe there's an old path that used to be that part of track that I've missed?

Thanks. I thought the old Rapids entrance was the one next to Burger Kitchen but couldnt place the path on the map that joins with it to the south of the SW8 site. It looks like this adjoining path starts near the info booth in mutiny bay, which I believe was part of the old park railway so maybe there's an old path that used to be that part of track that I've missed?

The old park railway is now Haunted Hollow.

I assume the link between the rapids path (where I placed the map marker) and the area new Haunted Hollow will be newly laid at the back of the SW8 site.

The biggest plus with this map is the resort no longer being so dominant. It's one of the better recent maps, although it'd be nice to have something completely new for 2018.
Coastercrazychris is right, it is a combination of the 2008-10 maps and the 2011-13 maps (as has been the case since CBeebies opened).

Also really liking the idea of SW8 being part of Gloomy Wood. With the entrance possibly being moved to behind the Rapids, it could work. Far moreso than when The Flume was officially part of Katanga Canyon for the first two seasons of Mutiny Bay's existance.

I was wondering is there an entrance to get to the rapids from the new path? Or would you have to walk all the way around to the mine ride at the other end of the closed path is to join the queue?

The biggest plus with this map is the resort no longer being so dominant. It's one of the better recent maps, although it'd be nice to have something completely new for 2018.
Coastercrazychris is right, it is a combination of the 2008-10 maps and the 2011-13 maps (as has been the case since CBeebies opened).

Also really liking the idea of SW8 being part of Gloomy Wood. With the entrance possibly being moved to behind the Rapids, it could work. Far moreso than when The Flume was officially part of Katanga Canyon for the first two seasons of Mutiny Bay's existance.
I think that the new coaster will fit well here with the queue starting on the path behind the rapids. As long as they build a reasonable visual barrier.
The map could be better CBeebies is very dominating.

A nice scenic wall, plenty of piratism on the MB side along with a new row of shops/kiosks that are pirate related or depending on how big the coaster site is, a small MB flat next to the scenic wall

I do like the map, and as others have said, they have finally decided the hotels are far too big for the front! I've been saying it for years now.

I think next year we will get a brand new design, as SW8 won't be able to fit in to the current design (as we know new rides are usually massive on the maps).

Can someone please tell me if they would expect Alton Towers to be busy on Friday 31st March. I believe it is the Friday before schools break up for Easter.

Just trying to plan a trip and hoping to plan it when the park will be quiet.

Thanks for any help

@Paul_Alton Unless things are vastly different to last year, I wouldn't worry too much. Schools round here are also closed on 31st March so that must be a fairly common thing.

There are days when the park is pretty painful when it comes to crowding, but a (probably) drizzly March Friday is almost certainly not one of them :)

Can someone please tell me if they would expect Alton Towers to be busy on Friday 31st March. I believe it is the Friday before schools break up for Easter.

Just trying to plan a trip and hoping to plan it when the park will be quiet.

Thanks for any help

Most schools don't break up until the 7th April. I always check http://myschoolholidays.com before I go.

I would say it will still be moderately busy as it's a Friday during the first week of the season but not heaving. The quietest time always seems to be just after the Easter holidays.

I always find the week leading up to and the week after a school holidays are usually busier than your average term time. However it won't be as any where near as busy as the school holiday itself.

On a week day (Mon to Fri), apparently Thursdays tend to be the quietest day for most tourist attractions.
Wednesdays tend to be the busiest.
It also depends on the weather on the day. The nicer the weather, the more people tend to venture out.

Even if you visit on a busy day, it won't be anywhere as busy as the fireworks weekend and I find it's possible to get in all the rides that I want to if you get in the park as soon as the gates open, make sure that you utilise the ERT to the max with whats available and then get the most popular rides done before the crowds peak which is usually around lunch time. If last couple of seasons anything to go by, I think you will be fine and get in plenty of rides.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been planning a trip around this date for a few months but was kinda put off by the following website which states it will be very busy - http://www.towersalmanac.com/need_to_know/opening_dates.php
Some shoddy coding I fear, that site hasn't been touch for a long time - although the header suggests it relates to 2017, the dates do not (presumably a year where Easter fell in March). The park doesn't even open until Sat 25th March '17.

As somebody as said already most schools break up on the 7th of April

I'm going myself on Saturday 1st of April and the next day

Staying in the premier inn at Leek so not too far to travel

We have MAP's too so will have ERT I'm looking forward to it very much

it''ll be great to go on nemesis,oblivion,smiler etc with our daughter now she's over 1.4

We'd be there for the opening weekend but we already had a haven break booked

That site is very much out of date,

Take a look at the week leading up to the fireworks and the Scarefest dates

According to the Almanac site, its opened all week leading up to the fireworks when in reality it's not :eek:

http://www.towersalmanac.com/need_to_know/opening_dates.php

Even the Scarefest opening dates are all wrong on it too.

No wonder why guest have been turning up at the gate days that the park is closed :eek:

Even if the Scarefest dates were correct, the first week of the Scarefest is never busy, so I would take the site with a pinch of salt.

Since the Smiler crash, the only dates that I've experience that the park has been busy has only been during the Scarefest and Fireworks Events last season.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.