2018: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MakoMania, 24th Oct 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BritishThemeParkArchive

BritishThemeParkArchive TowersStreet Member

The UV inside the ride is an interestingly one really. Currently, it doesnt look how it was intended but there's an interesting story to it!

When the ride was created, it had a pretty bespoke UV technique, by high quality scenic artists (some of the best for UV in Europe!). It wasn't the 'glow in the dark' effect people think of as UV now, it was very subtle, not your standard blue, pink, yellow.

It allowed scenery to be really detailed, without shining visible light everywhere, still in surrounding darkness. Flat shapes could look like real stonework, or all sorts of scenic details like overhanging branches and foliage could be seen without spilling light everywhere. It all relied on the blacklight effect.

However the UV lighting was mostly all removed by 1993. Alton Towers's marketing department wanted to change the ride to be 'darker and scarier' because (despite pressing for a family attraction throughout its design) they launched the Haunted House as being incredibly scary. The original ride was intended to be more surreal and surprising than pure horror, personally I think it works best this way. You could call it 'Tim Burton-esque' I guess.

So the ride was mostly dropped into darkness, meaning loads of incredible scenery that had previously relied on blacklight no longer got seen. A lot was also painted over.

In recent years there had been some at Alton Towers who noticed how much of the original scenery had UV treatment, so wanted to bring it back.

In 2016/7, the first wave of UV didn't look too bad, but the tubes were visible and distracting (and the rest the new lighting was very poor that year). The surviving UV paintwork had also faded much after so many years, and the original studio that innovated this style of UV artwork had since closed.

Unfortunately the latest wave of UV lighting this year was LED and totally the wrong method, despite good intentions. With the current state of LED UV, I don't think it should even be called "UV" (nor do many in the lighting industry, which I am not). It produces visible light, showing mechanisms or revealing scenery as actually being flat shapes. Its brightness looks much cheaper and more 'glow in the dark' than the effect was ever intended to be.

Interestingly there are LED lights currently being made by some brands that claim will produce true blacklight, but I dont think theyre available just yet. Of course, the old flourescent lamps and tubes are still available. However the UV strobes for flying heads need a special filter that is no longer manufactured, so would need to be especially sourced, until LED technology catches up.

Last edited: 6th Dec 2018
    Bert2theSpark, Ciaran, b2311e and 7 others like this.
  2. Austin Towers

Austin Towers TowersStreet Member

Not park related but the chained oak tree has been having some branches removed. We were there in August and some of the branches were rotten and quite a large one had fallen. I dont think anyone died though. Was tempted to bring a piece home with me and carry out some mad experiments on it but I got blind drunk instead. Couldn't sleep that night as the room kept spinning.

Last edited: 27th Dec 2018
    b2311e, skyscraper, GaryH and 4 others like this.
  3. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Was there ghostly chanting in the wind

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

skyscraper and Austin Towers like this.
  4. Stuntman707

Stuntman707 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Someone should tell them to stop! Do they not realise that they are activating the curse?

5. JSF VIDS ROLLERCOASTERS

JSF VIDS ROLLERCOASTERS TowersStreet Member

I've already awoken it.

skyscraper, ringo and Austin Towers like this.
  6. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Has anyone been in touch with the earls descendants.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

ringo and Austin Towers like this.
  7. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    They are all dead.

.... Now.

MattyH, Rick, djtruefitt and 5 others like this.
  8. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Octonauts
    This isn't exactly new or anything really relevant, but...

TIL: Merlin Magic Making was conceived in a pub.

MattyH, skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  9. Lurker

Lurker TowersStreet Member

The first job you've got to get is being a costume character.

Oh sorry, we don't really employ those any more. Come back for scarefest.

10. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    So, 2018 is almost at its end. And what a great season it's been! Wicker Man has turned out to be a fantastic addition to the park, if you ask me, and I've genuinely really enjoyed the times I've spent at Alton this year! The ATH was really nice in March, too, and it was nice to get back there! So, I ask you all; what has been your favourite Alton Towers memory of 2018? For me, it would have to be riding Wicker Man for the first time; the ride massively exceeded my expectations, and I would have to say that it was probably my biggest surprise of 2018!

Have a great new year, everyone! And here's to an even better 2019!
    P.S. I also found a great article on TTSP summing up Alton Towers' 2018, if you'd like to read that: https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2018/12/30/2018-year-in-review/

RicketyCricket and skyscraper like this.
  11. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion? Valhalla? or Apocalypse?
    I've just spat my drink out :eek:

NemeTime, Ciaran, DiogoJ42 and 15 others like this.
  12. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Wicker Man, especially my first ever ride but some of the ones I had later in the season were also great.

Apart from that it was a fairly average season and still feels like the park is missing that magical spark it used to have.

danni87, Poopoohead and Matt N like this.
  13. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Apart from the awesomeness that is Wickerman, Thorpe seems like it was a better season overall for me (with the obvious exception).
    Mind you it being my first Thorpe season may have had something to do with that.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Matt N likes this.
  14. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

It's fair to say getting on wicker man is definititely the highlight. Best ride on the park in my opinion

Matt N likes this.
  15. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Although the first half of the 2018 season was almost completely ruined by staggered opening times, and the whole season was plagued with poor operating hours, poor ride availability and substandard operations in general; things to note being the removal of baggage holds and SRQs in particular. Yet with that said, after they got their act together and the staggered openings were removed, there was a considerable improvement.

Yes, there were other issues like Wicker Man downtime and ERT downtime (and overall reduction of ERT) practically rendering the whole point of entering the park early pointless, as well as broken effects on attractions throughout the park, and poor customer service and social media replies.

But as a whole, this has been a good year. Not the “comeback” year I had originally hoped for, mainly due to the aforementioned issues, but still a good one. Wicker Man is fantastic, Merlin actually got so much right. Obviously, it’s not perfect, but they have shown their ability and willingness to create an extremely complete experience which has managed to capture the imagination of so many people. I’d probably say Wicker Man saved Alton Towers from themselves this year...

Joel3, RicketyCricket and Matt N like this.
  16. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I'd have to agree with @Matt N here, it's been the best season in years. Obviously the new coaster has helped, but it's an excellent ride and a perfect edition to the current line up.

The general atmosphere in the park has been positive and staff have been great.

Whilst the other Merlin parks are at an all time low and falling apart, Towers has been by far the best of an awful bunch.

Having said that, it's highly unlikely I will return next season as there are much better quality parks across Europe to explore, and adding a pay-to-ride Dungeons attraction is a p*ss take.

OilyWater, jon81uk, JB1985 and 2 others like this.
  17. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    One other thing I forgot to mention; I attended my first ever ride opening weekend in the form of Wicker Man's official opening weekend on 24th & 25th March! I didn't actually ride Wicker Man until the Sunday, but I loitered around the area for a bit on the Saturday evening, and the atmosphere was electric! Everyone seemed so excited and amazed by Wicker Man, and the fire performers and the Beornen really added to the atmosphere, in my opinion!

skyscraper likes this.
  18. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It's a pity they weren't able to have them there all season.

JB1985 and Matt N like this.
  19. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    My favourite part of the Alton Towers 2018 season came in the form of personally visiting new parks on the continent and continuing to see better operations, rides, theming and culinary options than Towers can muster.

The world cup atmosphere in the Courtyard was alright I suppose.

DiogoJ42 and Matt N like this.
  20. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    And that’s the issue isn’t it with the whole park and Merlin

You can have the experience we want you to have but you must pay a premium for it

skyscraper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.